Are single climate/habitat worlds really possible?

Ragitsu

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Are single climate/habitat worlds really possible?

Another possible way to have a "single climate" world: artificial habitats.

Basically, most of the world is uninhabited/uninhabitable, but there is a large artificial habitat present.

In practical terms, the habitat is "the world" - it's the only place to go that isn't basically vacuum and desert.

Come to think of it, the habitat doesn't have to be that large - it could just be a smallish base. The point is that there isn't anywhere else to go.

That's several orders of magnitude greater than the world population we've been discussing.

Some of the numbers we've been throwing around were in the 1 - 5 trillion range, based on either the land surface area or Earth or the given land area of Trantor, and the population density of some notable cities.

Hmm...looking around, it seems that Trantor's canonical population density is about 600/square kilometer. That's about the same as Germany (as a whole...density is obviously higher in the cities). If the whole planet is covered in city as described, there's a lot of room that's not being actively occupied by humans at any given time. I expect a good portion of that is landing fields for the spacecraft bringing in all the food etc that they need to import, but most of it is probably just warehouses of computer memory, full of census data and tax statements for thousands of years and trillions of people in the Galactic Empire.

I won't try to make sense of anything Lucas says. If he says the sky on one of his planets is blue, I'll assume it's because of midichlorians or something...it's obviously not because of the way oxygen refracts light.

Some of the numbers we've been throwing around were in the 1 - 5 trillion range' date=' based on either the land surface area or Earth or the given land area of Trantor, and the population density of some notable cities.[/quote']

I thought we were talking about 40 billion earlier.

Hmm...looking around, it seems that Trantor's canonical population density is about 600/square kilometer. That's about the same as Germany (as a whole...density is obviously higher in the cities). If the whole planet is covered in city as described, there's a lot of room that's not being actively occupied by humans at any given time. I expect a good portion of that is landing fields for the spacecraft bringing in all the food etc that they need to import, but most of it is probably just warehouses of computer memory, full of census data and tax statements for thousands of years and trillions of people in the Galactic Empire.

I won't try to make sense of anything Lucas says. If he says the sky on one of his planets is blue, I'll assume it's because of midichlorians or something...it's obviously not because of the way oxygen refracts light.

I'm sure Lucas didn't put a lot of thought into it because that's not how Star Wars works (and criticizing it by slinging numbers makes about as much sense as criticizing a Bugs Bunny cartoon with physics). But yeah, a planetwide city doesn't mean a planetwide city center. Cities generally have more way low-density than high-density areas and no shortage of zero-density areas.

I thought we were talking about 40 billion earlier.

I'm sure Lucas didn't put a lot of thought into it because that's not how Star Wars works (and criticizing it by slinging numbers makes about as much sense as criticizing a Bugs Bunny cartoon with physics). But yeah, a planetwide city doesn't mean a planetwide city center. Cities generally have more way low-density than high-density areas and no shortage of zero-density areas.

40 billion was used, I don't recall where it came from, it might be the canonical population of Trantor. But if it is, Trantor isn't really "one vast city" -- just not enough people.

Keep in mind that the density figures I was trying out to get numbers in the few trillions rage are from real cities, which include things like airports and warehouses and parks and various non-residental buildings.

I think canon for Trantor is 40 billion - that's a lot, but spaced out over the land mass of an earth-sized planet (Trantor still has oceans), means there's still plenty of empty space: that's about the same population density as the UK. However, I think it was suggested that a population of 1 trillion is more realistic. As for the heat pump comment, I am assuming that Trantor had, at one point, a climate and we know it has oceans - I assume that any civilization that can build a world spanning city can also build a world-spanning piping system: I'm sitting here looking out the window at snow and sub-zero temperatures - in a room heated entirely by waste heat.

cheers, Mark

An alternate way to look at it would be, if the Earth was covered by "jungle" what would it look like? What could you do to areas like Antarctica or the Sahara such that you could plausibly call them "jungles?" Solve that and you have a planetwide jungle, though obviously it won't be the same jungle everywhere.

Catgirls go with just about any environment.

Jungle - tiger girl

Desert - lion girl

Arctic - snow leopard girl

Aquatic - catfish girl

Vacuum - cat girl in a spacesuit

Gas giant - ???

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises - we sell more than just palindromedaries!

On other occasions I've pointed out that the illusion of a single climate world can be created simply by noting that people who have space ships rarely travel more than a few miles away from where they touched ground. Thus it seems like it was raining on Mongo that afternoon.

On other occasions I've pointed out that the illusion of a single climate world can be created simply by noting that people who have space ships rarely travel more than a few miles away from where they touched ground. Thus it seems like it was raining on Mongo that afternoon.

Rainy days on Mongo always get me down.