Are single climate/habitat worlds really possible?

Ragitsu

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Are single climate/habitat worlds really possible?

I still don't know what Mongo is. I feel so pop culturally ignorant :(.

Educate yourself. If your local library has a volume of collected Flash Gordon comics, I highly recommend you check it out. I believe there are also some old Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials online here and there, and they are well worth watching. The movie made in the 80s was cheesy, but a lot of people like it. There was a cartoon in the 70s or 80s, and another cartoon in the 90s; as is the nature of cartoons, they are often cheesy but still interesting enough. The TV show that came out recently is dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Ice worlds heated by volcanism are possible. Stick your world far enough out and the energy from it's sun is negligable. Put in enough volcanism from having/being a moon and there are seas, maybe even bare ground where the heat comes up. Strickly speaking it's a two enviroment world, icy and just warm enough not to be totally iced over. I think Europa (or one of Jupiter's moons) is like this and the seas are all under kilometers of ice.

So volcanism alone would create a more even heat distribution across the surface? That sounds feasible, though I wonder if a planet's internal heat by itself would be sufficient to put its surface (or near-surface) in a temperature zone that's amenable to humans. Isn't much of Europa's internal heat presumed to be driven by tidal forces from Jupiter?

Maybe if it was young enough to retain the heat of its formation? You could also load its interior with vast quantities of radioactive material. I have no idea how those numbers shake out.

So volcanism alone would create a more even heat distribution across the surface? That sounds feasible, though I wonder if a planet's internal heat by itself would be sufficient to put its surface (or near-surface) in a temperature zone that's amenable to humans. Isn't much of Europa's internal heat presumed to be driven by tidal forces from Jupiter?

Maybe if it was young enough to retain the heat of its formation? You could also load its interior with vast quantities of radioactive material. I have no idea how those numbers shake out.

You're right I forgot that. In any case my point still stands, heating can be supplied by something other than the sun, so you can have close to one-environment worlds. I'm pretty sure realistically it's going to be a pretty cold environment though.

Radioactives are a one-time heat reservoir that decays exponentially, but it is "stored" in the sense that the heat is generated in the interior of the planet after the planet is formed (as compared to the heat of accretion, which is added as the planet falls together, and the heat of differentiation, which happens during the planet formation process as the denser stuff sinks and the less dense stuff floats). That exponential decay is inevitable: the source is ALWAYS greatest at early times and falls off as time goes by. Tidal heating, almost uniquely, doesn't have to be greater at early times; if anything, it tends to be more or less constant with time, modulo "interesting" irreversible events due to planetary dynamics.

You're right I forgot that. In any case my point still stands' date=' heating can be supplied by something other than the sun, so you can have close to one-environment worlds. I'm pretty sure realistically it's going to be a pretty cold environment though.[/quote']

Surely we could invent some condition to trap the heat and raise the temperature of a (possibly internal) atmosphere?

• 2 months later...

Interesting, though I disagree with some of his more outlandish theories. There is only so much we can guess, being barely able to leave our planet (and we haven't even exploited the many opportunities yet).

• 3 weeks later...

SF author Larry Niven summed up this fallacy with the flippant quote "It was raining on Mongo that day..."

Do you know what book that's from? (And please don't lmgtgy - I did, and couldn't find it.) Thank you!

That's actually a Jerry Pournelle quote which is why you won't find it trying to google Niven. :D It was his way of explaining the bad literary habit of oversimplication we tend to see in the creation of planets for science fiction stories. Never think of your planet, as small, etc etc etc ......Nyrath would most likely be able to toss up better links for that though, if you could find him.

~Rex

That's actually a Jerry Pournelle quote which is why you won't find it trying to google Niven. :D It was his way of explaining the bad literary habit of oversimplication we tend to see in the creation of planets for science fiction stories. Never think of your planet, as small, etc etc etc ......Nyrath would most likely be able to toss up better links for that though, if you could find him.

~Rex

Ah, thank you.

Decent beaches are made out of coral sand, which is made out of... coral. Which exists symbiotically with algae. I suppose you could have an ecosystem that consists of nothing but coral, but it seems to me that given any life at all in a benign environment like seawater at 75 degrees, you'd get significant speciation in no time.

Decent beaches are made out of coral sand' date=' which is made out of... coral. Which exists symbiotically with algae. I suppose you could have an ecosystem that consists of nothing but coral, but it seems to me that given any life at all in a benign environment like seawater at 75 degrees, you'd get significant speciation in no time.[/quote']

Is it possible to have a pleasant ocean without sealife?

Is it possible to have a pleasant ocean without sealife?

Unlikely. You'd end up with all sorts of nasty chemical combinations leached out of the surrounding stones and then never re-sequestered in animal and plant remains. My guess is that it would stink and be highly toxic.

Worse, unless you have VERY large quantities of plantlife on the land surfaces, there wouldn't be enough of a biocycle to keep the air oxygenated. Come to that, if there WAS enough, you'd get CO2 buildup in the water - say, dilute sulphuric acid?