Which of Your House Rules should be System Rules?

zornwil

Okay, having seen the house rules thread, lots of great ideas, interesting variations.

But all those being said, let's say you took over HERO tomorrow (Steve Long handed it to you on a Silver Age platter).

What would you actually change in the HERO system? I think most of us (?) recognize our house rules really speak to our personal quirks rather than that which we would "impose" on the game system.

When it's all said and done, I'm not sure what I'd really change. I might refine EC to be clearer that the linkage on the powers being drained requires some common SFX on the part of the Drainer, although I might go so far as to "simply" write that into the Drain-type powers instead of addressing EC. I'd almost certainly decost Damage Shield a little, putting it between the way 4th was popularly perceived and 5th was stated. I might attempt some simplifications with Shape Shift and to a lesser degree Transform. I'd study harder on Aid and ensure it's costed right, I have some lingering doubts.

But really, nothing fundamental. Probably less changes than were made from 4th to 5th.

Remember, before answering, you are becoming the steward of the HERO Rules System that people have played for over 20 years...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of mine would be retro.

Instant change and regeneration returned to seperate powers, but keep the adders on regren for regrowing limbs or resurection.

Defenses allowed in EC's (as long as the EC is united by SX).

Enhanced senses as in 3rd edition (full price for two most expensive, half price for next two, quarter price for the rest).

Cap skill levels.

Maybe make teleportation and desolidification more expensive, seems I'm seeing a lot of those lately.

Absorption and Transfer

Points gained from Absorption and Transfer may be treated as either Healing or Aid; this must be chosen at the time the Power is built. If treated as Healing, they may use any additional house rules for Healing as listed in this document.

Adjustment Powers and Recovery

Any points Aided, Absorbed, or Transferred to Body, Endurance, or Stun, stack on top of the character's initial values. A character can recover or be Healed up to his initial values as normal while these Powers are in effect, unless they are built with the Only to Starting Values Limitation.

Best in the West (Perk):

You're the best at something. You're the fastest, you're the strongest, you're the smartest, you're the most powerful, whatever it is you're Best at, you're the best there is at it; literally, no one has more points spent in that area than you. Pick one "schtick" to be the best at. You'd better have spent a lot of points on it, whatever it is.

In general, it costs 10 points to be Best in the West at something; this generally means you're the best in your country, or the best on your planet. To be the best in your solar system (assuming it's inhabited, at least as much population as Earth) costs 15 points; to be the best in this spiral arm costs 20 points; to be the best in this galactic quadrant costs 25 points; to be the best in the galaxy costs 30 points. It's possible to be second best, for 1 point less, or third best, for 2 points less, etc. There are as many best as the place, so there are two Second Best in the West, three Third Best, etc. Obviously, there's only one Best in any given place.

This Perk opens you up to take Disadvantages like Reputation: Best in the West, Hunted: Young Turks who want to Take You Out, Psych Lim: Gunslinger Mentality, and the like.

You might be able to exceed normal campaign limits and/or Normal Characteristic Maxima in one ability if you have this Perk; check with the GM.

BOECV Is A Mental Power:

A Power that is bought with the Based On ECV Advantage may be bought with an additional +1/2 Advantage to make it a Mental Power. It acts in all respects as a Mental Power, but this Advantage does not otherwise change any of the basic mechanics of the Power (thus, in order for Entangle to act as Mental Paralysis, it would still need to be bought so that EGO breaks out, etc.). The power need not be bought Invisible, but gets the benefits of being a Mental Power as regards visibility of effects. Exception: A Power built with this Advantage does not automatically provide Mental Awareness.

Reduced Endurance:

There is a new +1/4 Advantage called 0 END Connected. This represents a device that can be connected to a wall outlet or vehicle power supply and uses no Endurance while doing so, but otherwise uses Endurance (for example, when connected to an END Reserve or backup power supply). This is a -1/4 Limitation on Powers that do not normally cost Endurance.

Flash:

If any Flash BODY at all gets through a target's defenses, or if the target has no defenses, the target is Flashed for a minimum of one full Phase, regardless of how many Segments are rolled. (If more are rolled, then of course the target is Flashed longer.)

Extra Time:

A character with Healing who takes one level more on the Time Chart than his Healing Power takes to use (taking Extra Time into account), paying Endurance or using the appropriate amount of Charges for each individual usage, can automatically gain the maximum amount of Healing he could roll. For these purposes, a level on the Time Chart is considered to consist of five of the next smaller level; thus, a character spends five times the Endurance, or uses five Charges, over the course of the full time period.

If the character, because of limited Charges, lack of Endurance, lack of time, or for any other reason is unable to follow through with the full course, he does not gain this benefit.

Example: If a character with 6d6 Simplified Healing with no Extra Time (thus able to use it every Phase) were to take a full Turn, he could Heal 12 BODY and 36 STUN, spending Endurance for Healing each Phase. If his Healing had Extra Time: One Minute, he could do the same thing by taking 5 minutes, spending Endurance each minute.

Originally posted by archer

Absorption and Transfer

Points gained from Absorption and Transfer may be treated as either Healing or Aid; this must be chosen at the time the Power is built. If treated as Healing, they may use any additional house rules for Healing as listed in this document.

I'll second that. I'll also add Healing is a +1/2 Advantage for Aid, and an absorb or transfer that both heals and Aids is a +1/2 advantage. Work the math between Aid and Heal, and that's the advantage.

Heal with no dice-related maximum is a +1 advantage (based on Regen mechanics - standard roll should be 3, but you get 2. Regen already has +1 advantages and -1.5 limits to cost 8 per 2/3 die, so it "really" costs 12/die; 10 x3/2.5 = 12 ).

And I'll raise you:

- Transfer still acts as a drain when you've max'ed out added points (otherwise Linked Aid and Drain is way cheaper)

- Mental powers do not grant Mental Awareness - just like Fire Powers do not grant IR vision (corollary: no 15d6 Mind Control, "no mental awareness" to save 15 points by losing a 3 point ability!)

- Entangle dice and defenses are not limited to 2x the other.

EDIT: Oh yes...all of these except Transfer and Entangle get STOP signs. Just because that's the way to buy it doesn't mean it should be freely available without considering the impact on the game in-genre.

My first two changes would be "semi-retro". I'd go back to the 4th Edition "non-stacking" Suppress rule, and I'd mix-and-mingle the 4th & 5th Damage Shield (+1/2 for applicable continuous powers or applicable powers with No Range; +1 otherwise).

After that, my biggest change would be to adjust the base value formulas for most of the Figured Attributes -- specifically to reduce the influence of STR and CON on them. Concurrent with this, I would make Mental Defense a figured attribute instead of a power.

The next one is compartively trivial, but a long-standing house rule for my campaigns: AVLD is +1 instead of +1 1/2 -- its cost is simply not in keeping with its usefulness. As part of this change, "Does BODY" would be changed from a seperate advantage to an addition to AVLD, and GM's would be strongly advised against allowing Does BODY for NND's.

Another pet peeve of mine involves Autofire. I'd go back to the 4th Edition +1/4 to increase the number of shots -- but it's +5 shots instead of x2.

Similarly, I'd invoke the "autofire cost" for Reduced END for Uncontrolled and Damage Shield as well -- if the power has either of these advantages, the cost of Reduced END doubles.

Next one I'd have to test more thoroughly, but I'd combine Force Wall and Entangle as a single power -- they practically are now.

Also from the "trivia" file, I'd invoke my rule about Telekinesis and Extra Limbs -- if you want the TK to do more than two "arms" could do, you need to buy Extra Limbs.

Adjustment Powers

Adjustment Powers should have Target SFX defined by default. Instead of having an Infinite Target SFX coverage.

The number explanations for having an Infinite Target SFX coverage are few while a Limited Target SFX is the common usage.

Therefore:

Drain EB -> Infinite Target SFX Coverage

would have to define an SFX such as:

Drain Electricity or Drain Electrical Attacks or Drain Kinetic Energy.

Also makes more sense when you start applying the standard advantages to them.

Just My Humble Opinion

- Christopher Mullins

HA would be a disadvantage and not a power. Base damage added to HA's would have to take advantages into account just as HKAs do.

Megascale would have 10x and 100x for the 1st steps and first level of megascale would be +1/2.

Mental and power DEF are figured stats based off CON and BODY respectively.(superheroic games only)

Reduced END advantage should not be included when figuring END cost of a power. END for autofire attacks should be cost of power without autofire x number of shots fired.

Characteristics bought as powers are affected by NCM.

Disadvantages on powers in a VPP must be fixed beforehand or taken a variable disavantage.

Uncontrolled powers last for a maximum of 1 phase per 5(10?) pts. in the power. Multiple applications of the same Uncontrolled power add +1 DC and 2x duration.

Retrofit regeneration and instant change

Make the previous mentioned changes to adjustment powers.

Hmmm. I sort of missed the chance to jump in on the House Rules thread (just got my home internet connection back). This is very interesting. Basically, you're asking "Which of your House Rules are strong enough to be better for pretty much everybody?"

Damage Shield: I'd go back to the pre-FRED version. The straight +1/2 seemed to do a great job of containing all the advantages and disadvantages of this construct.

Autofire: I'd add the to-hit bonus back. IRL, the main use of machine-gun fire is to greatly increase the chance of hitting with at least one shot.

Skill Defaults: I'd lift from GURPS the notion of Skill Defaults. Someone with an DEX of 33 should have a better shot at being sneaky (for instance) than someone with a DEX of 8, even without training.

For most skills:

0 points: 5 + CHA/5

1 point: 7 + CHA/5

2 points: 8 + CHA/5

3 points: 9 + CHA/5

Healing and Regen: I'd clarify that the default "reset time" for healing is one day, and you could bump that up one step on the Time Chart for a +1/4 Advantage. This would most definitely apply to Regeneration (increasing its cost - which is fine by me, it's MORE valuable now in most campaigns than it used to be. Original Champions was mostly concerned with simulating Silver and Bronze Age comics. The more recent styles are a lot more bloody and Regen is a lot more valuable). I might also add in a "BODY Only" Limitation onto Regeneration (unless it DOES Regen STUN) for -3/4.

Multipowers: If a slot has its own Charges, halve the number of Charges. This is a rule from Champions III that I was very surprised to see absent from FRED.

I'd also go back to following the "+1 DC equals x2 KE" interpretation for firearms and such (and also use it for explosives). That gives us an underlying framework on which to base conversions from real-world weapons or other game systems.

I'm still too new to have much in the way of house rules, but here's my version of how to fix the problem of MegaScale starting too cheap. I don't think steps between 2 meters and 1 km would be affected sufficiently by MegaScale's disadvantages, so instead, I'd have a +1/4 surcharge -- a "MegaScaleable" Advantage that you have to take before taking any form of MegaScale. It applies to all forms, however, so you aren't punished for bumping up, say, both Area and Range.

Beyond that, let me get back to you, though I have my preliminary thoughts... (Folding Duplication into Summon, splitting Regeneration back off (Instant Change seems fine as it is), turning Danger Sense into the Power it seems to want to be, breaking down "Specific Being" into a host of more specific Advantages and Disadvantages, clearing up the rules for "summoning" stuff like vehicles and guided missiles...) -- Pteryx

-1/3" though I am actually ambivilant on making other people deal with it. I doubt I'll ever run a game differently though.

Regen: 5 points/Char Point/Rnd

You can buy the time interval to be slower. If you want say 1 BODY/segment Regen, 120 points (12 BODY/Rnd prorated)

Some balancing would need to go into Special Effects add ons. (+2 for all Characteristics would be a good deal...)

Those are my main ones. I'd be more interested in pawning the Silver Platter. :)

Re: Which of Your House Rules should be System Rules?

Originally posted by zornwil

Okay, having seen the house rules thread, lots of great ideas, interesting variations.

But all those being said, let's say you took over HERO tomorrow (Steve Long handed it to you on a Silver Age platter).

What would you actually change in the HERO system? I think most of us (?) recognize our house rules really speak to our personal quirks rather than that which we would "impose" on the game system.

Actually, just a small extension : extending the concept of fixed/floating locations from Teleportation and apply it to clairsentience as well. the rest works fine as it is.

I would base Leaping solely on Running, not on Str. For every 5" of Running velocity, you'd get +1" of jumping distance. Leaping would start at 0" (2" with starting non-combat Running velocity), and could only be increased as a Power (not as a Characteristic--or maybe as a Characteristic with a normal maximum of 0" :) ). That way a normal human with maximum Running (10"), going at non-combat velocity (20"), would be able to jump 4"=8m, which is about the world record. A standing broad jump would be the same as a 1" start (5" of velocity for a jump of 1"=2m). I might allow Pushing the Leaping based on a Str roll rather than an Ego roll, however.

Kill FTL. Use Extra Dimensional Movement or Flight Megascale, depending on how subjective you want the travel time to be.

Combine Shrinking, Growth and Density Increase in one generic 'Change Form' power that would be bought piecemeal, Change Environment-style.

Kill Swinging and Gliding. Limitations on Flight, both.

Base Shapeshift on whether the sense is Discriminatory or not, instead of Targeting or not.

Change Instant Change to be a Shapeshift variant.

Originally posted by Alcamtar

I'd offer an alternative "inverted" (roll high) attack roll:

dice + OCV >= 10 + DCV

and

DCV hit = dice + OCV - 10

Same probability, but a little easier to calculate especially for newer players coming from systems like d20.

I don't think this is a rules change at all. It just looks different. I'd let players roll like this, or with the "X-" rolls, or whatever, so long as the probabilities didn't change. Same system. Same rules.

Incidentally, you can change all rolls, including characteristic and skill rolls, to look like this. See my post under the "HERO/d20 house rules and mods?" thread.

For nonstandard autofire attacks, instead of charging a +1 efficiency surcharge, I propose the following:

Each hit after the first adds 2 DC's to the damage of the base attack. So a 4d6 autofire 5 shots nnd would cost 50 pts not 70, but 2 hits means 5d6 damage, not 8d6 damage and 3 hits means 6d6 damage rather than 12d6 damage. The maximum it can do is 8d6 with 5 hits, rather than 20d6 under the standard system.

I think the +1 efficiency surcharge is too little in many cases, and too large in other cases.

Originally posted by zornwil

Why Find Weakness?

With killing attacks, I assume you mean you'd convert it to a +2 advantage, am I correct?

Converting killing attack to +2 advantage is an EXTREMELY bad idea. It would make it too cheap to add additional advantages. For example, it would cost 30 pts to add armor piercing on a 12d6 attack. It would cost only 10 pts to add AP to an existing 4d6 attack with +2 killing advantage.