Champions movie

Ragitsu

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions movie

The writing and animation would have to be economical' date=' but engaging. You would have a limited budget, but hat doesn't mean you have to use limited animation techniques.[/quote']

How much money would it be to have an hour long animated movie run?

Actually' date=' no. I just felt that the dude didn't seem like the kind of guy who would stick with a team for very long, and wanted to reflect the idea that "things had happened" since the first CU book was written. He's still in the universe. dw[/quote']

Right' date=' [i']Champions Universe: News Of The World[/i] detailed him leaving the Champions. Would you know if in the Champions Online incarnation of the CU, Nighthawk is still leading Project Mongoose?

Actually, I was referring to the Cryptic changes. I thought I read somewhere that they didn't like the character, so he wasn't in the game or post-game continuity at Hero. I must have been mistaken. I have CU:NOTW, which is a great read. Congrats again, Mr. Watts.

How much money would it be to have an hour long animated movie run?

Good question. One of my instructors told us that to make a short animated film like the Lady and the Reaper, which runs about 8 minutes, could be as much as $500,000, as they had to pay Antonio Banderas for his voice. By the way if, you haven't seen it, it is pretty good, being nominated for an Oscar and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9CQDKt8LVo

Anyway, I've seen some pretty good stuff done with Adobe Flash and After Effects. That kind of animation, though not always technically brilliant is serviceable and can be done economically.

I'd like an appearance by Dr. Yin Wu' date=' played (of course) by James Hong.[/quote']

Actually, I think I'd prefer Ken Watanabe for Yin Wu. The Doctor is an immortal, still apparently relatively young and vigorous. James Hong is, as mentioned elsewhere, quite elderly now. Besides, Hong's villains have always been rather creepy, while the impression I get of the Dragon Mandarin is of a forceful, commanding presence, which Watanabe conveys very well.

Actually' date=' I was referring to the Cryptic changes. I thought I read somewhere that they didn't like the character, so he wasn't in the game or post-game continuity at Hero. I must have been mistaken. [/quote']

They have not to this point decided to use Nighthawk or anybody else at Mongoose, but they do own the characters and can do so at any time. There may certainly be people at Cryptic who don't care for the guy, but that's not an official policy AFAIK. dw

OMG!! Spurred by the discussion of the original Champions characters in this thread, I went to look at the Heroic Publishing site. They are still printing Champions comics! I was floored. What's it been like sixteen years. I might have to see if they have improved any.

I must admit' date=' that's a name I can't bring to mind in connection with the Champions Universe. Who is he and where's he from?[/quote']

Hardpoint is an example character in the 5e and 6e books along with Tarus ... and never seen again...

He kept the same basic origin both times (unlike Tarus who went from a half-demon to a genetics experiment between the editions) of a boy genius who saw too much anime then built his own set of powered armor to fight evil. I like the character. He has potential but never got past being an example on how to build a suit of powered armor.

I wouldn't use Dr.Destroyer directly. I'd make someone else the main villain. Maybe the Ultimates. Then at the end you pull the clichie of Dr.D sitting in a throne saying "All is unfolding as I have foreseen." Then work it up in the second movie, drop a few more hints. And in the third movie they have to fight him. Since the first movie is almost always an origin story, we shouldn't have a bunch of new heroes defeat one of the biggest baddies in the campaign.

Good question. One of my instructors told us that to make a short animated film like the Lady and the Reaper, which runs about 8 minutes, could be as much as $500,000, as they had to pay Antonio Banderas for his voice. By the way if, you haven't seen it, it is pretty good, being nominated for an Oscar and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9CQDKt8LVo

Anyway, I've seen some pretty good stuff done with Adobe Flash and After Effects. That kind of animation, though not always technically brilliant is serviceable and can be done economically.

I think you should post this in the Grim Reaper thread too.

Lucius Alexander

Installing an alarm on a palindromedary

For the team listed in the 6th ed book I would go with.

Duane "the Rock" Johnson as Defender

the_rock_300.jpg

Russel Crowe as Ironclad

russell-crowe-gladiator-c10038479.jpeg

Kevin Zegers as Kinetik

kevin-zegers-iphotos182306kevinzegers.jpg

Natalie Portman as Saphire

Natalie_Portman%20-%201%20-%20V_For_Vendetta.jpg

Sandra Bullock as Witchcraft

SandraBullock.jpg

Sean Connery as the voice of Socrates

Well that last one is just because it make me laugh to think that Socrates sounds like Sean connery. :)

Red

For the team listed in the 6th ed book I would go with.

Duane "the Rock" Johnson as Defender

Russel Crowe as Ironclad

Kevin Zegers as Kinetik

Natalie Portman as Saphire

Sandra Bullock as Witchcraft

Sean Connery as the voice of Socrates

Well that last one is just because it make me laugh to think that Socrates sounds like Sean connery. :)

Red

You are over 50, maybe 60, million dollars on salary already, and you haven't done the supporting cast and villain yet. In a franchise like this, I would say look for bargains: young folks who haven't made it yet, folks who are on a decline looking to come back, or folks who are talented but have been forgotten. Look at the casting on Watchmen. Though they made two bad decisions, they were generally in the ballpark, if not if not dead on (Rorschach and Comedian, anyone?). And they did it without breaking the bank.

Also, Kinetik has to be African American IMO. Tyrese Gibson would probably work.He is also into comics, which is a plus.

TyreseGibsonDec08.jpg

I would go younger on Witchcraft and Defender, too. Their romance is a major subplot. They should be in their early 30s approx. I would say Chris Evans and Jessica Biel. However, Evans has been in a lot of superhero stuff already, and is going to be Captain America. However, his type is exactly right.

I don't think Biel is that expensive because her movies haven't been over the top successes. She is kind of in the middle ground and could use a big push.

I would also go sexier and Latina for Sapphire. Rosario Dawson or Michelle Rodriguez (casting against type).

Michelle Rodriguez:

michelle_rodriguez.jpg

Ironclad is a big CGI/makeup effect. Dwayne Johnson could do well with it, but how about Vin Diesel. He might be in need of some rejuvenation, and his voicework in The Iron Giant is classic.

I wouldn't use Dr.Destroyer directly. I'd make someone else the main villain. Maybe the Ultimates. Then at the end you pull the clichie of Dr.D sitting in a throne saying "All is unfolding as I have foreseen." Then work it up in the second movie' date=' drop a few more hints. And in the third movie they have to fight him. Since the first movie is almost always an origin story, we shouldn't have a bunch of new heroes defeat one of the biggest baddies in the campaign.[/quote']Good plot-planning, there! So... for movie #1, let's use Mechanon, probably voiced by Maurice LaMarche.

I wouldn't use Dr.Destroyer directly. I'd make someone else the main villain. Maybe the Ultimates. Then at the end you pull the clichie of Dr.D sitting in a throne saying "All is unfolding as I have foreseen." Then work it up in the second movie' date=' drop a few more hints. And in the third movie they have to fight him. Since the first movie is almost always an origin story, we shouldn't have a bunch of new heroes defeat one of the biggest baddies in the campaign.[/quote']

Excellent idea.