VIPER help needed.

quozaxx

Two things:

First: I'm looking for a name for a VIPER Dragon Branch Mentalist.

It should have a "snake" type name. I already have added Copperhead (an armor wearing VIPER) and Black Mamba (a psychopath who just poisoned someone)

But I need a mentalist to combat against the group's mentalist. So, I need a "snake" type name to fit him or her.

Second: Some of the more deadly VIPERs are invading the campaign city. I need a Maguffin (I think that's what it's called - an object of great power and or importance)

It should be a powerful enough item to bring out most of the Dragon Branch and even free the VIPER Dragon Branch members currently in prison. But it should also be hard to find (thus giving the heroes time to find it first or stop them before they find it).

The campaign city has had a lot of magic in their past, but VIPER really isn't into magic like DEMON is. So, I'm not sure if that is the right "fit" for the item they are looking for.

So any help here would be great.

Re: VIPER help needed.

Okay as far as Viper inspired mentalist names:

Snakecharmer

or

Basilisk

Serpent Lantern:

I think this is in Viper Lore but I cannot remember exactly what it does. For some reason I want to say it grants immortality. So either you could be going after this ore maybe an accompanying piece that grants even more wondrous abilities.

LA Singletary

The Serpent Lantern didn't grant immortality, but it did greatly extend age and give other health benefits.

Also, an oath of loyalty given with the Serpent Lantern was binding. Break the oath, and you die. The original 30 Founders (the high council of Viper) all took loyalty oaths with the Lantern, so they all trust each other. Since the loss of the lantern, Viper's central leadership has been weakened.

If you're looking for a non-magical Maguffin, you could have an independent scientist develop a semi-cure for the COIL gene -- effective in 50% of the population, but good enough to make COIL shake in their boots and VIPER shiver in glee. This would add COIL into the mix, putting the heroes in the middle, but I don't know if you want to go that far. And if you don't want the cure long-term, it could either get destroyed, or the whole thing could just be a ploy by COIL to sting VIPER, using the heroes as the stinger. (Imagine the heroes' faces after capturing a bunch of Dragon Branch members, when they get a "thank you" fruit basket from COIL for cooperating so nicely in weakening their enemy.)

Other ideas:

• A bio-weapon capable of depowering select heroes.
  • A device or drug capable of vastly empowering select agents, perhaps stolen by one of the test subjects.
  • A VIPER traitor on the run with a list of highly-placed key VIPER personnel.
  • I don't have 5th or 6th Ed VIPER -- do they still use the Serpentine Network to communicate? If so, a stolen Serpentine crystal, for sale to the highest bidder.
  • The (stolen or misplaced) plans and prototype for VIPER's newest weapon or vehicle.

Mental snakey type, eh? I do like snake charmer. Or just Charmer. Wadjet (an Egyptian snake-headed goddess). Serpentine.

As for a mcguffin, I'd suggest either the Ouroboros (A medallion that allows one to reset time to just a few minutes earlier). This could be fun if they got it for a while. Picture the heroes ALWAYS walking into traps? Where do these agents keep getting their info? Turns out when the heroes show up they reset time back set up an ambush and POW! The other idea is that they don't so much want a magical mcguffin so much as they want to destroy it; Say, the idol of an ancient ferret-headed demon that if summoned would come after viper.

The Serpent Lantern didn't grant immortality, but it did greatly extend age and give other health benefits.

Also, an oath of loyalty given with the Serpent Lantern was binding. Break the oath, and you die. The original 30 Founders (the high council of Viper) all took loyalty oaths with the Lantern, so they all trust each other. Since the loss of the lantern, Viper's central leadership has been weakened.

I thought it did grant immortality provided they do the ritual once a year or something. Too bad. I thought a pro-active superhero team could get it back for Viper as part of a long-term plan for destroying the organization. With their immortality back the 30F would stay in charge and become stuck in their ways. Thus they would be unable to adapt to a changing world and loose power to rivals.

Serpent Lantern was also wanted by Dr. Destroyer, to extend his age (or make him immortal). It was lost in space I thought. But it could have crashed back in my city. I've never used a mega villain before. The team has been working together for years and may be up to a Dr. Destroyer challenge. Hmmmmm

And in my campaign. He's not being held prisoner by The Shadow Destroyer either. Hmmmmm

Thanks again.

Serpent Lantern was also wanted by Dr. Destroyer' date=' to extend his age (or make him immortal). It was lost in space I thought.[/quote']

It was in 5th edition. Not sure about 6th. I haven't gotten many books about it yet. My gaming group has yet to convert. In any case Dr.D got rid of the Lantern because Viper depended on it. He has a distrust of magic and his ego won't let him become a servant to anyone even a god. (Plus the whole "betray us and die instantly" catch will turn most master villains off.)

In one of the campaigns I'm in my character killed Dr.D. The team committed a galactic faux pas which eventually led to a Persid warfleet being sent to Earth. Dr.D was already in custody due to the actions of the major hero teams and agreed to defend the planet if he was let go. To insure his cooperation he allowed a cortex bomb to be implanted in his head. Triggers were given to the two team members without Code vs Killing Total and willing activate the bomb if/when we were betrayed. Of course we were eventually betrayed. Of course Dr.D removed the bomb from his skull. After the team escaped my character said, "Well, this won't do anything. But it will make me feel better." and detonated the bomb. What we didn't know is that the bomb was enchanted to return to Dr.D's noggin if it got removed. So he's making his "I am your ruler! Bow down before me!" speech to the world when his head becomes the consistency of store-brand chunky salsa with a muffled "boom" inside his armor and he slumps over.

You could name the mentalist Mongoose.

Course, I thought by the title VIPER was taking resumes, So, disappointing

We could always turn this thread into a resume taking thread. Did you want to submit one?

We could fill the Dragon Branch with new members.

I would expect the Serpent Lantern info to be superceded by what happened in Champions Online. In al likelihood, it's safe to treat it as destroyed in canon, though if you wish to ignore it (or have Nama make a replacement), that's certainly reasonable.

There's no VIPER for 6th edition. If we go by the "new VIPER book every ten years" paradigm established in 4th and 5th edition, expect one in 2013. :)