Anubis?

CrosshairCollie

Re: Anubis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anubis

OK, here is the Wiki write up on Anubis. He is a god of the dead, and mummification.

So it looks like necromantic powers are the order of the day here.

I'd also suggest regeneration...as he's associated with rebirth...and some protective powers to reflect his status as "guardian" of the dead.

Prehensile bandages?

NND EB Dehydration?

Failing that, the ability to create a zone of increased gravity versus the wicked (the scales of Ma'at)

The ability to see the invisible and into the spirit world

The ability to turn insubstantial

Sense he was known to help determine worthiness to enter the land of the dead, you could rationalize a pretty funky detect or telepathy pretty easily. Perhaps even a 'Detect Psychological Complications' so he would know who protected the innocent, and who preyed on them, that sort of thing.

I'd say a power with the 'Affects Desolid' Advantage would totally fit. And, of course, regeneration with the ressurection option would be pretty awesome. I'd allow it, and say the only way to keep the Anubis powered champion dead would be to properly mumify him.

Sense he was known to help determine worthiness to enter the land of the dead, you could rationalize a pretty funky detect or telepathy pretty easily. Perhaps even a 'Detect Psychological Complications' so he would know who protected the innocent, and who preyed on them, that sort of thing.

I'd say a power with the 'Affects Desolid' Advantage would totally fit. And, of course, regeneration with the ressurection option would be pretty awesome. I'd allow it, and say the only way to keep the Anubis powered champion dead would be to properly mumify him.

An interesting reversal, given that proper mummification was supposed to be your key to the afterlife.

I'd suggest an IMproper mumification as the way to stop the resurrection. Deliberately profaning the ritual, hiding symbols of Set in the bandages, burning the heart and liver and putting the ashes in canopic jars, reciting curses consigning the deceased to the belly of Apep, etc.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary looks around apprehensively for the routi

A Body Drain attack or aura might fit well here. Since this is an agent of Anubis, you could give Him a "Weapon of Vengeance" and use him as a scrapper or a brick.

Desolidification to represent the unstoppable nature of Anubis' anger.

"Borne upon the wings of the night," great smoky wings of darkness can appear.

He could summon the dead...skeletons with machine guns (upgrades from spears and such)

Since Anubis has two major forms in iconography - one similar to a jackal, one with a jackal's head and man's body - I'd say Shapeshift or Multiform.

Danger Sense, wide area, only to detect threats to the dead. "Somewhere in this city, someone is desecrating a grave. I will find them."

As a psychopomp - a guide to the dead - perhaps Direction Sense and Navigation.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doesn't see a routi, yet

There was this one episode of gargoyles (2-30), where there were two avatars of anubis:

A possible background for the character:

And what happened after that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhsymQgun6A&feature=related

They had very different powers.

The first had:

Superfast Aging (RKA vs. Objects), an "Aging" Drain (STR, CON, DEX), transform to baby form...

Maybe NND's where defense is living long (1 or 2 points?).

The other was more like a sage/supporter:

Reverse transformation, Aid/Heal Drain, great wisdom and knowledge.

The more beneficial factors come forth:

Protection of the Spirit in the way to the afterlife, rebirth, Protector of the Body of death people,...

There also is this mixed up cult, that use elements from Anubis and Hermes: uten-ha/Sa-ka/Cynopolis. How would they stand towards him?

Definitely control over and/or summoning of undead or such; Anubis had many servants, from the spirits of the dead themselves, to the other beings purported to carry the souls of the dead from this world to the next, etc.

Kind of depends exactly which way you want to go with things. IIRC, Moon Knight had a whole Egyptian themed background, and some cool powers associated with that. Just a thought.

Well, as far as Summons goes, that's out for me; I don't like the extra bookkeeping for the Summoned creature's stats, plus Anubis reads more like a 'the dead should stay dead' kind of guy. Creating undead seems like the very definition of desecrating and dishonoring the fallen.

I was going to look at what I created in HD last night, but for some reason the character got blanked. :P

As a psychopomp - a guide to the dead - perhaps Direction Sense and Navigation.

This might also call for some soul-removing and controlling powers along the lines of what the Lamplighter possesses, particularly ones applicable to those whose lives (or unlives) are maintained past their allotted span by magic.

[...]plus Anubis reads more like a 'the dead should stay dead' kind of guy. Creating undead seems like the very definition of desecrating and dishonoring the fallen.

Indeed, that's more his thing. While the jackal was known to be a Grave Robber, Anubis was more Guardian of the Body and the Soul.

How about an anti-undead attack? Or would this fall into "fast aging nonliving material"-RKA?

Another way to use fast aging vs. Unliving, is to Dispel/Drain Armor (or Foci in general).

Ironically for the avatar of a god of death/afterlife, a Code vs Killing would be fitting ("It is not my purpose to interfere in matters of life and dead").

Well, as far as Summons goes, that's out for me; I don't like the extra bookkeeping for the Summoned creature's stats, plus Anubis reads more like a 'the dead should stay dead' kind of guy. Creating undead seems like the very definition of desecrating and dishonoring the fallen.

I was going to look at what I created in HD last night, but for some reason the character got blanked. :P

Well given the ancient Egyptian outlook on the afterlife I dont think "the dead should stay dead" would be exactly right. But, manipulating the dead for your own ends (aka necromancy) yeah, that would probably be definitely an affront to Anubis. But, then, gods may have different rules for themselves. Just thinking out loud.

Probably getting information from the dead wouldn't be outside Anubis's ethics. Conjuring them up and making them fight for you sounds kind of opposite of what the guardian of the dead should be doing, but "hey, where does this guy like to hide out?" shouldn't be too much. The dead are supposed to be able to see the future, most of them lived in the past, and there's not a whole lot to keep them out of an area if they wanted to find out something in the present, so they can provide quite a bit of info...

Probably getting information from the dead wouldn't be outside Anubis's ethics. Conjuring them up and making them fight for you sounds kind of opposite of what the guardian of the dead should be doing' date=' but "hey, where does this guy like to hide out?" shouldn't be too much. The dead are supposed to be able to see the future, most of them lived in the past, and there's not a whole lot to keep them out of an area if they wanted to find out something in the present, so they can provide quite a bit of info...[/quote']

And it is not like most common "Talk and you are death"-treaths work against them.

It could even be part of a bargain between them and anubis to get hearts a little bit less weighty for helping his avatar. Perhaps a Mimic Skill VPP?

Probably getting information from the dead wouldn't be outside Anubis's ethics. Conjuring them up and making them fight for you sounds kind of opposite of what the guardian of the dead should be doing' date=' but "hey, where does this guy like to hide out?" shouldn't be too much. The dead are supposed to be able to see the future, most of them lived in the past, and there's not a whole lot to keep them out of an area if they wanted to find out something in the present, so they can provide quite a bit of info...[/quote']

True, that's the actual literal definition of 'necromancy'; telling the future by calling on the spirits of the dead.