• Orcs/Half Orcs = Gorillas

OR

• Humans = [same as always]
  • Elves = Anthropomorphic foxes
  • Dwarves = Anthropomorphic badgers
  • Halflings = Anthropomorphic otters
  • Orcs/Half Orcs = Anthropomorphic bears

Re: My Elves Are Different!

And "mix it up" is somewhat where I went with Lostorum, as much as I would like to call it all original / unique or whatever.

Humans = Humans

Elves = (Somewhat) Nephil (Cat People)

Dwarves = Short, fat Humans ;)

Halflings = Short, skinny Humans ;)

And then "added" my Lizardmen (big = Saurak, or Orcs... and little = Seraps, or Goblins) and Bears (Gurahl.) I think the Bears are about the most "original" concept of the mix, although I'm certainly not the first to come up with "bear people."

This is not a hard and fast thing for me, but in my interpretation the races breakdown thusly:

Gnomes = Babies/Toddlers/Ancients

Halflings = Kindergarters/Preadolescents

Elves = Teenagers/Goldenagers

Humans = Young Adults

Dwarves = Middleagers/Silveragers

Orcs = "Mom! Dad! Don't touch it! It's EVIL!"

Nonetheless I think countless people - myself included - have some desire to do "something different" if not "something original." Different is easy' date=' but is a tricky path to follow without not really making things different at all. [i']Original[/i], on the other hand, is not easy at all, except when it happens accidentally.

All of this has been done before, and all of it will be done again, to steal (and then butcher) a phrase.

Is it me though but when people seem to make things different, they have to make them the polar opposite of what they were to begin with? For example the drow in DnD. I can see a twist, but making something thats white-black for just because is no better imho.

I have been thinking for some time now about a world where Light and Dark are the guiding principles and all races are aligned with one or the other. Light and Dark are not good and evil. But the Elves of this world have tried to make people believe that this is the case. Light and Dark are like Yin and Yang, always fighting but never completely pure.

I guess I've been inspired by Janny Wurt's novels, (though I've only read one), and the Light and Dark magic that you sometimes in get in computer games and manga.

Anyway. Elves are aligned strongly with Light. Light is a bit like Chaos. It is creation, destruction, motion and energy. Darkness is stability, entropy and matter. (Both principles are paradoxes). Elves do not grow old because their bodies are too charged with Light, they claim that they are actually pure energy which has somehow coalesced into a hardened form that mimics matter. However, if Elves become bored or their culture stagnates they begin to suffer physical and mental symptoms of disease and madness. They must embrace life, change and motion with all their beings or fall into Darkness. This is easier for the Elven peoples than mortals realise; when you plan to live forever there is no great need to cling on to a particular time, place or mindset.

Some Elves are true nomads, but others will cheerfully abandon settlements which have existed for centuries. They embrace extreme lifestyles and are the world's ultimate explorers, always searching for new ways to exist. Law, honour and ethics are matters of individual conscience and the consensus of those present, this can lead to utopian societies but often results in the rule of the strong or the most persuasive.

Light is naturally more destructive than Darkness and so Elven Light Mages are justly feared for their powers. But Elves make few artefacts or lasting structures.

Dealing with Elves is a chancy and frustrating business, when a villain may repent his crimes simply because villainy no longer interests him, or a king might abandon his palace on any given day to choose the life of a penniless wanderer.

Looking over this post I've realised that 'Dark Elves' in this setting would literally be Elves who have become stuck in a single mindset and so made twisted and mad. Dark Elves are not a race but a condition, which could concievably be cured.

So Dark Elves could be crooked and ugly, like the Dokkalfar in Norse mythology; and have an overwhelming obsession, like Dwarves in the D&D 'Dark Sun' setting.

If I put my Bone Elves into this setting then they would be considered a whole culture of 'Dark Elves', albeit a culture whose violent insanity is turned towards 'good' ends. I might make their 'twisting' purely mental, however, as I like the idea of beautiful, crusading Elves who happen to be demented savages.

I have been thinking for some time now about a world where Light and Dark are the guiding principles and all races are aligned with one or the other. Light and Dark are not good and evil. But the Elves of this world have tried to make people believe that this is the case. Light and Dark are like Yin and Yang, always fighting but never completely pure.

I guess I've been inspired by Janny Wurt's novels, (though I've only read one), and the Light and Dark magic that you sometimes in get in computer games and manga.

Anyway. Elves are aligned strongly with Light. Light is a bit like Chaos. It is creation, destruction, motion and energy. Darkness is stability, entropy and matter. (Both principles are paradoxes). Elves do not grow old because their bodies are too charged with Light, they claim that they are actually pure energy which has somehow coalesced into a hardened form that mimics matter. However, if Elves become bored or their culture stagnates they begin to suffer physical and mental symptoms of disease and madness. They must embrace life, change and motion with all their beings or fall into Darkness. This is easier for the Elven peoples than mortals realise; when you plan to live forever there is no great need to cling on to a particular time, place or mindset.

Some Elves are true nomads, but others will cheerfully abandon settlements which have existed for centuries. They embrace extreme lifestyles and are the world's ultimate explorers, always searching for new ways to exist. Law, honour and ethics are matters of individual conscience and the consensus of those present, this can lead to utopian societies but often results in the rule of the strong or the most persuasive.

Light is naturally more destructive than Darkness and so Elven Light Mages are justly feared for their powers. But Elves make few artefacts or lasting structures.

Dealing with Elves is a chancy and frustrating business, when a villain may repent his crimes simply because villainy no longer interests him, or a king might abandon his palace on any given day to choose the life of a penniless wanderer.

That's a lot like the Faerie in Castle Falkenstein. They are beings of energy and are able to shapeshift to some degree. They have no imagination, which is why they are drawn to the mortal world. They are bound by the letter of the law (although not necessarily the spirit of the law), so they don't make vows or agreements easily.

On topic, I thought about just making the elves an Atlantean analogy. I they were the first, ageless and full of magic (which to them is natural). But along the way, they kept pushing boundries of the natural world without considering the consequences, and, as in every story of pride and folly, the day of reckoning came. The result is the elves are still long lived, but not eternal, magical but not near the level of before, and now the are other races and creatures are about.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I was playing Chez Geek with some friends and burst out laughing when I got a card I had forgotten about.

The card is Lord Yahoo.

His quote is "You guys are playing D&D? Can I be a Keebler Elf?"

[ATTACH]38909[/ATTACH]

Character Name Keebler Elf

Keebler Elves are a trademark of the Keebler Company, a division of Kellogg. Character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Hmmm.

I had a thought I'm growing fond of.

I think in my new setting the majority of "Elves" will mostly be remnant populations of Atlantian Catastrophe survivors from the various pre-catastrophe lands (Lemuria, Mu etc), i.e. the Tuatha De Dannan coming to Ireland fleeing their home sinking beneath the waves, but the inside straight will be filled by stranded time traveler populations.

I'm working with spooky Lovecraft physics, so the occasional Cruise Ship or airliner slipping through a crack in space isn't out of the question.

A slightly quirky space time continuum lets you explain almost every myth as anomalies.

In the "Oath of Swords" series, Elves were natural spellcasters ("Warlocks") who were offered immortality for power (rather different from norm) after the end of the wizard wars. They were considered both too powerful and too likely to be unable to sufficiently control that power - And no-one wanted another war between magic-users. So, the victors of the wizard wars offered them true, full immortality instead of instinctual, emotional spellcasting. The wars were, after all, about whether wizards would control their powers.

Although the bargain was different than normal, the Elves would rather not have made the trade. For one thing, there's those still alive who remember being Warlocks...Which, given hints, may have been about 10,000-20,000 years ago.

And really, who wants to watch everything die forever?

And "mix it up" is somewhat where I went with Lostorum, as much as I would like to call it all original / unique or whatever.

Humans = Humans

Elves = (Somewhat) Nephil (Cat People)

Dwarves = Short, fat Humans ;)

Halflings = Short, skinny Humans ;)

And then "added" my Lizardmen (big = Saurak, or Orcs... and little = Seraps, or Goblins) and Bears (Gurahl.) I think the Bears are about the most "original" concept of the mix, although I'm certainly not the first to come up with "bear people."

Do I see an Avernum reference? :)

I think the trick is to watch everything live' date=' not watch it die. :rockon:[/quote']

Wouldn't have to do both, since in any event, you are watching things?

Skimming the thread again, considering the number of literary references in it, I'm wagering that my ability to simply accept 'whatever this game world says is an elf is an elf' is related to the fact that I've never read a fantasy novel and lack emotional connection to the concept or mythology thereof.

Skimming the thread again, considering the number of literary references in it, I'm wagering that my ability to simply accept 'whatever this game world says is an elf is an elf' is related to the fact that I've never read a fantasy novel and lack emotional connection to the concept or mythology thereof.

I broke my fantasy teeth on Robert E Howard, Fritz Leiber, Michael Moorcock, and Robert Aspirin. And the Robin Hood Ballads, older King Arthur stories, and Sinbad from the 1001 Arabian Nights. It was only later I encountered Tolkein and learned I liked the source material he drew from far more than what he wrote himself. I feel much the same about most elfy writers I've read. People can say elves are whatever they want and it doesn't bother me one wit, but, overall, I've yet to meet an elf I could bothered to like. :eg:

I'll hazard a guess that you have, on the other hand, read comic books?

Lucius Alexander

Metapalindromedary