Vandaleur Twins

Nightfire

I was wondering does anyone know why Anais was changed from a male fraternal twins in Arcane Adversaries to a female in twin in Champions Villains vol2. I thought it was bold move on Hero Games' part to not only feature two gay characters but to have them as villains and incestuous to boot. To change Anais to a woman is a step in the wrong direction, having the unfortunate implication that gay characters can not be presented while maintaining the much more controversial incestuous relationship. I was just wondering others thoughts on the matter.

Re: Vandaleur Twins

I was wondering does anyone know why Anais was changed from a male fraternal twins in Arcane Adversaries to a female in twin in Champions Villains vol2. I thought it was bold move on Hero Games' part to not only feature two gay characters but to have them as villains and incestuous to boot. To change Anais to a woman is a step in the wrong direction' date=' having the unfortunate implication that gay characters can not be presented while maintaining the much more controversial incestuous relationship. I was just wondering others thoughts on the matter.[/quote']

Heh...don't even get started on this. I asked this several years ago when Arcane Adversaries first released. Apparently, they've always been a male/female pair(as seen in Mystic Masters 4th Edition). The story is the artist got the description without much detail into their background, assumed they were incestuous identical twins(not entirely implausible), and drew the picture you see in that book. For the record, they were vastly more interesting as incestuous identical twins if you ask me.

Anais was actually female originally in the 4th Edition IIRC. The 'change' to male in Arcane Adversaries was actually ONLY in the art. I don't recall the whole story, but the artist apparently assumed 'twins = identical twins" and, not being familiar with French names, thought both were male.

EDIT: Looks like Dr. Mid-Nite beat me to the explaination.

Anais was actually female originally in the 4th Edition IIRC. The 'change' to male in Arcane Adversaries was actually ONLY in the art. I don't recall the whole story, but the artist apparently assumed 'twins = identical twins" and, not being familiar with French names, thought both were male.

EDIT: Looks like Dr. Mid-Nite beat me to the explaination.

Considering the stir it caused when I originally commended DOJ for having gay supervillains in a supplement, I was quickly corrected by Steve Long himself. I didn't think it was such a big deal at the time...and honestly...they're WAY more boring as fraternal twins. I've always used them as identical twins since Arcane Enemies...LOL

Well, you can give the DOJ-era Hero Games at least a little credit for progressiveness. ;) In their original 4E Mystic Masters incarnation they weren't even twins. They had different mothers, having only their father, the randy Adrian Vandaleur, in common. And in that version Eduard Vandaleur was Edward, from an aristocratic English branch of the family.

Mind you, having a male raised in a French-speaking country with the name "Anais" might help explain how he turned out. :sneaky:

Anais was never male. She's been female since the day she was created. The problem was that the artist who drew the twins for Arcane Adversaries somehow didn't know/realize that Anais is a girl's name. By the time the art came in it was too late to change things.

Thank you, I had never known there was a fourth edition version of Arcane Adversaries, or thor Anais was a girl's name. My curiosity has been sated.

Just to be clear, there was never a 4E version of Arcane Adversaries -- it's a 5E book. The Vandaleur twins originally appeared in a 4E supplement called Mystic Masters.

Since the sexual orientation' date=' spouse and/or significant other isn't mentioned for most NPCs, what makes you think some of them aren't? Unless you're asking for something like Gayman! The Gayest Superhero Ever![/quote']

And his (entirely platonic) team mate: Lesbia.

Sounds like a good new chalenge for here:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/80447-Create-a-Hero-Theme-Team!

So while we're on the topic' date=' what are the chances of seeing a gay couple, heroes or villains pop up in Champions Universe cannon?[/quote']

A gay character shows up in 5th ed Cops, Crews, and Cabals as one of the MCPD's superhuman response unit members. There's probably a large numbers of characters from the current CU that COULD be gay, but it's never been brought up. That'd be for the GM to decide.

That's true it is always up to the GM, although since many heroes, villains and the like are "canon" straight, it would be nice if a few were also by canon, not straight. After all it seems being open minded (or perhaps progressive might be a better word) has helped Bioware's bottom line (Dragons Age) why not true RPGs? It doesn't have to be everyone, just a character who actually isn't "open to interpretation" but definitively gay preferably without stereotypes.

That's true it is always up to the GM' date=' although since many heroes, villains and the like are "canon" straight, it would be nice if a few were also by canon, not straight. After all it seems being open minded (or perhaps progressive might be a better word) has helped Bioware's bottom line (Dragons Age) why not true RPGs? It doesn't have to be everyone, just a character who actually isn't "open to interpretation" but definitively gay preferably without stereotypes.[/quote']

There are other orientations to consider (aside from the straight/homosexual for both genders):

Asexual

"Not Interpescies interested" (for those "nearly human aliens"), but very interesting for humans

"Not biophiliac" for Robots/Undead/Androids

By the way, what are the chances that Sex and Sorcery has something about it?

Comics are such a wide open genre that there are almost endless possibiliities when it comes to relationships, sex and sexuality. It';s an incredibly difficult and touchy subject for most people though with a huge range of opinion on what's appropriate or not. The writers are probably doing the right thing by keeping it understated and leaving allot of that context up to individual GMs and groups.

That said though, I don't thnk some openly homosexual or bisexual characters would really by that contraversial in this day and age. It would also be a nod towards diversity and inclusion. As long as their creators remeber to make them interesting charcters with more to them besides their orientation.