Mathematics based mental attacks?

Enforcer84

Re: Mathematics based mental attacks?

IMHO' date=' this is a myth which does needs to be de-bunked [i']hard[/i]. All the math I needed for Hero I learned in grade school.

Fractions. Fifth grade, if I recall correctly.

Anybody who wants to rant about how "You need to learn differential calculus just to make a character in HERO!" would probably find a more receptive audience here.

It is called a JOKE.

QS, who makes Champions characters in his head.

It is called a JOKE.

Unfortunately, the same thing has been said (pretty much word for word) in complete seriousness by Hero critics, and your post differed from theirs in no way at all that I could tell. I'm not seeing the humor.

And of course' date=' that most dreaded of all powers, [i']Extra-Dimensional Travel, Useable As Attack[/i], which sends the target into an undefined universe: Divide By Zero!

Except that I would build that as "Severe Transform: Beign in this dimension into being in other Dimension", it is a good idea.

Except that I would build that as "Severe Transform: Beign in this dimension into being in other Dimension"' date=' it is a good idea.[/quote']

So, it would essentially be applying a linear transformation matrix to convert from one vector space to another.

Other uses of related mathematical tools would be to alter the velocity or direction of opponents (vector math, possibly written up as a movement power pool, UOO as attack).

Oh, and given how flexible mathematical models are, there are several in which division by zero is defined, but other mathematical concepts (like subtraction) may not be.

JoeG

The son on No Ordinary Ramily had incredible aim that seemed to be based on him doing the math of the trajectory of the item he threw. Could be as simple as levels with the special effect "did the math".

It is called a JOKE.

Unfortunately' date=' the same thing has been said (pretty much word for word) in complete seriousness by Hero critics, and your post differed from theirs in no way at all that I could tell. I'm not seeing the humor.[/quote']

And it's thanks you to you, Mr. Onassis, I now know there's a name for this phenomenon - Poe's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Lucius Alexander

A seriously intended palindromedary tagline can be indistinguishable from one meant in jest.

So' date=' it would essentially be applying a linear transformation matrix to convert from one vector space to another.[/quote']

Nope, this is mostly a game-balance question.

While you can build EDM, UAA (just a double stop sing combination, that is noted under potential abusive UAA combinations) I find the transform mechanic works better for "Wish you into the Cornfield" powers. The game effect is preventing the enemy from acting and being attacked. The closest thing we have is Transform into a Stone Statue (severe Transform), so transform is the best mechanic for anything that has a game effect of "long term disabling of oponent" (like it can be used for long term blinding attacks).

I think the write-up for Airetach from the Circle of the Scarlet Moon has a build for lethally cursing an opponent to get one of those Final Destination chains of events.

I definitely think buying Luck with Requires a Roll (INT or KS: Mathematics) would be appropriate.

I definitely think buying Luck with Requires a Roll (INT or KS: Mathematics) would be appropriate.

Luck is terribly undefined. For one GM is is next to useless, for other it is a gamebreaker.

I thought about a similar concept, someone who is guided by an outside force and prepares abushes (among other things) by placing certain items, at a certain time on a certain place without him even knowing what will happen (sometimes he will use it, sometimes somebody else will find the right thing when he needs it). Or he just grabs into a pile of trash a takes out a nearly rust free katana, that somehow got there...

Here is what I came up with:

A VPP, with broad spectrum of SFX.

But he also has a Naked advantage on the VPP, composed out of Trigger, reduced changing time and no roll. But only with charges (to get the price down. +2 1/4 is really a lot of points).

So he normally can just go through a garbage can and can improvise somethign usefull (Time + Roll). But when he needs a flash grenade to go of right now in front of the enemy - well, somehow it just falls from the sky and explode right where it is needed (it's a miss-shoot from somwhere nearby), becuase he used the trigger to instantly switch and activate a power.

Nope, this is mostly a game-balance question.

While you can build EDM, UAA (just a double stop sing combination, that is noted under potential abusive UAA combinations) I find the transform mechanic works better for "Wish you into the Cornfield" powers. The game effect is preventing the enemy from acting and being attacked. The closest thing we have is Transform into a Stone Statue (severe Transform), so transform is the best mechanic for anything that has a game effect of "long term disabling of oponent" (like it can be used for long term blinding attacks).

Actually, what you quoted from me was a mathematical explanation for the power, taken from linear algebra. How you want to do it in game terms is up to you.

JoeG

"Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet."-Pierre de Fermat

And it's thanks you to you, Mr. Onassis, I now know there's a name for this phenomenon - Poe's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Lucius Alexander

A seriously intended palindromedary tagline can be indistinguishable from one meant in jest.

Oh noes, I've been Poe'd!

You're too kind, Sir. You should be thanking QuerySphinx for the textbook example of a Poe -- indistinguishable from what it was meant to parody. I don't blame QuerySphinx for this situation. Sadly, the Hero haters have gone so far over the top that there's nothing left to parody -- the "differential calculus" remark, believe it or not, was based on an actual post.

I quit posting on that *other* forum when their unwritten policy became apparent. Bald-faced lies about the Hero system = OK. Pointing out the liars' factual errors = unacceptable. Now the whole "Hero math is too hard" thing is just a major peeve with me. Sorry.

That discussion gives me a idea.

That is to hard to solve, so I just stop trying:

Mental Entagle, vs. INT:

The target get's caught in the illision that finding the right thing to do in combat requires him to do compelx math in his - at wich he is so bad, he can't even play HERO - so he can't act properly.

You are so bad at math, you even hate HERO:

The same, but with a Severe Transform to lock the target in the illusion that there is nothign he can do in this world (because even eating requires complex math) and he goes apathic (similar game effect to the "Calculate PI" - the character get's a useless as a Stone Statue).

Since Rubiks Cubes are addressed by the branch of mathematics called group theory, have him pose a problem using one of these, saying, "This is your brain" (referring to the first panel), then, "This is your brain on group theory" (referring to the second panel), and closing with, "Any questions."

Oh noes, I've been Poe'd!

You're too kind, Sir. You should be thanking QuerySphinx for the textbook example of a Poe -- indistinguishable from what it was meant to parody. I don't blame QuerySphinx for this situation. Sadly, the Hero haters have gone so far over the top that there's nothing left to parody -- the "differential calculus" remark, believe it or not, was based on an actual post.

I quit posting on that *other* forum when their unwritten policy became apparent. Bald-faced lies about the Hero system = OK. Pointing out the liars' factual errors = unacceptable. Now the whole "Hero math is too hard" thing is just a major peeve with me. Sorry.

Would that forum have a R at the beggining and a g.net at the end with a P in the middle?

As I now actually HAVE a villain like this, with evil shape-themed allies, you might get to see Metric in print one day. :)

The current adventure in my game that features him and his friends is called "The Shape of Things."

Do they get sent to a possible future?

Unfortunately' date=' the same thing has been said (pretty much word for word) in complete seriousness by Hero critics, and your post differed from theirs in no way at all that I could tell. I'm not seeing the humor.[/quote']

We all find it funny here :)

Come on, it wasn't ever true. V&V required a cube root to find your carrying capacity.

We all find it funny here :)

Come on, it wasn't ever true. V&V required a cube root to find your carrying capacity.

Didn't Traveller High Guard use a square root in starship design or was that Spacemaster?