When, if ever, would your character kill?

Shadow Hawk

Re: When, if ever, would your character kill?

I think, once you add in to the backstory that the Joker has actually had access to nuclear weapons and either used them or attempted to use them, it then becomes completely incomprehensible in any sort of causality/semi-realistic logical sense to understand why he hasn't been subject to extrajudicial killing long ago, and multiple times. Batman inexplicably won't kill a guy who might actually someday succeed in nuking Gotham City or otherwise killing millions? That's okay, because either the US government or another entity will tirelessly work toward that end. Look at what's been done in the name of national security in the real world.

(I told myself I wouldn't post anymore on this...bad Mega! Bad!)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, once you add in to the backstory that the Joker has actually had access to nuclear weapons and either used them or attempted to use them, it then becomes completely incomprehensible in any sort of causality/semi-realistic logical sense to understand why he hasn't been subject to extrajudicial killing long ago, and multiple times. Batman inexplicably won't kill a guy who might actually someday succeed in nuking Gotham City or otherwise killing millions? That's okay, because either the US government or another entity will tirelessly work toward that end. Look at what's been done in the name of national security in the real world.

(I told myself I wouldn't post anymore on this...bad Mega! Bad!)

I can't recall any time the Joker has threatened to use a nuke, but I do recall him selling one to Middle Eastern terrorists during the Death in the Family story arc. He mentioned he was saving it for a rainy day (so he would certainly have been willing to). Of course, at the end of Death in the Family, Batman had decided he actually was going to kill the Joker and made something of an attempt at it, but Joker got shot by one of his own henchmen in a poorly-controlled helicopter and had a 'mysterious death' as Batman bailed out and Joker didn't before it splash-landed in the Atlantic(?).

We all know, of course, that the Joker gets off on Popularity Power. He just makes DC too much money to kill off.

That particular piece of evidence doesn't support his claim, but I'll bet if you look you can find some that does.

How about the Rodney King Beatings?

Or the guy in New York shot because he was reaching for his cell phone?

Or the crazy naked kid in Portland shot while running away?

There is real world evidence of people, good people, who are supposed to know better doing the very things Mega was talking about. Does it happen all the time like in comics or fiction? No. Just like real hospitals aren't subjected to the crap that happens in ER week after week. That kind of stuff indeed happens, but spaced out over miles and decades.

The Rodney King Beatings? The ones where all the cops involved were arrested on civil rights charges? Not exactly the best argument.

The Rodney King Beatings? The ones where all the cops involved were arrested on civil rights charges? Not exactly the best argument.

The ones where all the cops involved were arrested on civil rights charges and subsequently acquitted?

The ones where the cops were recorded on videotape beating a suspect 57 times with nightsticks and subsequently acquitted in state court?

And in response, in order to prevent such incidents in the future, a number of cities and states passed laws BANNING videotape recording of police officers.

And in response' date=' in order to prevent such incidents in the future, a number of cities and states passed laws BANNING videotape recording of police officers.[/quote']

Seriously? I can't imagine that law standing up to a challenge in court.

The front page story of my local "newspaper" yesterday:

Teen lucky to be alive

On the other hand, very few superheroes would end up dealing with this stuff. Speedsters might have to, in between rescuing cats from trees.

There's no good reason for a speedster not to have a CVK. Barry Allen certainly did.

The front page story of my local "newspaper" yesterday:

Teen lucky to be alive

On the other hand, very few superheroes would end up dealing with this stuff. Speedsters might have to, in between rescuing cats from trees.

There's no good reason for a speedster not to have a CVK. Barry Allen certainly did.

?

Lucius Alexander

:confused:That goes double for the palindromedary:confused:

Hmm. Let's see--my arch-nemesis tries to "replace" me as my wife's "husband", and then murders her by vibrating his hand through her head. Years later, I fall in love and marry again, and my arch-nemesis shows up, threatening to murder my second wife. I grapple with him, knowing he's both fully capable of murder and has done it before, and accidentally break his neck. Then there's a trial and my former teen sidekick testifies that I could have resolved the issue without killing my arch-nemesis. Then my arch-nemesis somehow comes back again, and this time alters the entire timeline of the campaign setting, for the worse.

Oh dear, now whatever should I spend these 20xp on? Decisions, decisions...

?

To the village idiot, or Barry Allen?

Nitwits will always try to get authority figures to kill them. Most superheroes should probably refrain from obliging them. Rorschach has his own rules, of course.

Barry Allen ended up being messed around by hacks to a degree that a heroic death was the only good thing that could be done with him.

Rumours of his return from death are of course greatly exaggerated. I've certainly not read any such stories, nor am I planning to.

He would however take Dr. Destroyers life if he had the chance....But no one else.

Takofanes is already dead, of course. ;)

Actually, Luther Black would benefit from a bit of death, too. Unfortunately, few characters would ever get to even know who he was, let alone get to do the necessary. He's actually a bit too realistic in that way.

To the village idiot' date='(?) [/quote']

The village idiot, as you call him, is just another young dumb drunk male. Lamentably common. What puzzled me is why you posted the link.

or Barry Allen?

I Barry-ly know who that is.

Nitwits will always try to get authority figures to kill them.

The man in the story was not (I don't think) trying to die, but was definitely putting police officers in a position in which, were they not trained and experienced proffessionals, they would have been likely to kill him.

You mean to say that just as police officers face such situations, so would superheroes. I think I see your point a little better now. I was probably tired when I read it the first time.

Most superheroes should probably refrain from obliging them. Rorschach has his own rules' date=' of course. [/quote']

Agreed. Whether dealing with someone playing out the "You'll never take me alive!" cliche or the more common "HI! I'm so belligerantly stupid and/or intoxicated I don't realize how easily I can get killed by attacking you!" cliche, most of my superhero characters would try to avoid killing anyone.

What I don't get is what it has to do with speedsters, as opposed to any other kind of superbeing.

Barry Allen ended up being messed around by hacks to a degree that a heroic death was the only good thing that could be done with him. Rumours of his return from death are of course greatly exaggerated. I've certainly not read any such stories, nor am I planning to.

Nor have I, nor shall I, so I suppose neither of us knows what you're talking about here or how it relates.

Lucius Alexander

As relevant as a palindromedary

What I don't get is what it has to do with speedsters' date=' as opposed to any other kind of superbeing.[/quote']

Speedsters are particularly prone to "stopped 4 muggings, 3 burglaries, 5 domestic violence episodes, 1 terrorist plot and rescued 3 cats from trees. What am I going to do for the next six hours?" style patrolling. Other characters (Batman and Superman particularly) do it too, but it's a particular Flash specialty.

Characters that are "everywhere" are the ones most likely to encounter such relatively minor incidents.