Headlines part 2

Marcus Impudite

Your character is reading the newpaper again and comes across the following headlines:

New York City--Local Wrestler Pins Armed Robber

Peter "The Spiderman" Parker is being hailed as a hero after thwarting the escape of a deranged robber who had just held up the ticket office at gunpoint. "I was right there and I knew I could take the creep down easily." Parker is quoted as saying in an interview. He further commented: "Besides, if that lunatic had gotten away and hurt some innocent person afterward, I'd have to live with that on conscience for the rest of my life." Parker's Uncle and Aunt, who have raised him since the tragic loss of his parents, are quite proud of Peter, as is his high school sweetheart, Mary Jane. The robber, who had a long history of violent criminal activity, has earned his third strike and has been sentience to life in prison.

Gotham City--Prominent Physician Shoots Mugger In Self-Defense

Dr. Thomas Wayne, along with his wife and young son, were on their way home from a night at the movies when they were accosted by two armed men who demanded Dr. Wayne's wallet, his wife's purse, and her jewelry. Unfortunately for the two assailants, Wayne is a life-long member of the NRA and a licensed concealed carrier. Before the muggers could react, the good doctor drew his own pistol and gave one of them a .38 caliber lobotomy at point blank range. The second suspect fled the scene but was later arrested by Gotham City PD. The deceased criminal has been identified as one Jack Napier, whom Officer James Gordan described as "[a] bad seed, loved to hurt people. He wasn't very bright either, so I can't say I'm that surprised to hear the joker met his end like this."

How does your character react to what he/she/it is reading?

Re: Headlines part 2

I would apply for a position at the newspaper as a proofreader, since they obviously need one. While the errors in headlines are most prominent, they should have someone checking every sentence.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doubts that all Lucius' characters would respond that way, but Lucius might

The player would react with amusement, but most likely the character wouldn't know the "true" backstory so it shouldn't elicit a response beyond, "Good for them." Now, if these were older newspapers (especially the second news item) and my character had reason to believe this was not how events originally transpired, it might require some investigation. Perhaps there's a wormhole open to a parallel dimension, and these papers somehow blew through.

Alternately, I might apply for a job at the paper that mentioned a 38-caliber lobotomy. An editor letting something like that through in a news item must be pretty easy-going.

In my campaign world, the comic book characters exist... as comic book characters. (Sure, you can call yourself Iron Man... but you'll get sued for copyright infringement.) In a world like that, the stories would cause very raised eyebrows, and maybe a lawsuit against Mr. Parker.

In a world where these aren't comic book characters, they'd barely get a nod.

He didn't meet Gwen until college' date=' actually (unless you're going by the new movie in the works).[/quote']

My bad. The high school sweetheart was actually Ms Betty Brant, if memory serves. Either way, the article got it wrong since I'm pretty sure Peter only started dating Mary Jane in college as well.

My bad. The high school sweetheart was actually Ms Betty Brant' date=' if memory serves. Either way, the article got it wrong since I'm pretty sure Peter only started dating Mary Jane in college as well.[/quote']

IIRC... (which I probably don't), he never really "dated" Betty, since she was a few years older when they met (although he would catch up in age. Comic book time.). He did date Gwen Stacy until her death, then started dating his High School Crush, Mary Jane.

Clearly the article on Mr. Parker is mistaken as at this point his high school sweetheart was Ms Gwendolyn Stacy.

Not in Ultimate Spider-Man or the movie. Besides, this is obviously an alternate older Parker. Nobody says "high school sweetheart" unless you're out of high school, and if Parker had still been under age he would have stopped the crime and ran off rather than reveal who he really was.

Let's see. I'm going to assume, for the sake of this argument, that in the game world the comic books that many of us are familiar with exist.

War Wolf, being somewhat genre savvy, would assume that something is up and call the newspapers to make sure these were the headlines that they had intended to print and that someone wasn't printing a fake paper to drop a clue or somesuch (particularly the Wayne one; no real journalist would say '.38 caliber lobotomy' in an actual news piece, and no editor would let it hit print).

Vixen doesn't read newspapers, so wouldn't notice.

Neither Vitus nor ROVER read the papers, although SPOT would remove the criminals from his database of active targets on his next update for ROVER. Given the setting, Brother Polonius would be wondering why a prominent physician didn't have a laspistol, or a pack of bodyguards with shock mauls and carapace armour at the very least. Either way, he'd mutter in disgust at the Tau being so soft-hearted as allowing three-strikes, instead of merely "lobotomised on suspicion of being up to no good."

Your character is reading the newpaper again and comes across the following headlines:

New York City--Local Wrestler Pins Armed Robber

Peter "The Spiderman" Parker is being hailed as a hero after thwarting the escape of a deranged robber who had just held up the ticket office at gunpoint. "I was right there and I knew I could take the creep down easily." Parker is quoted as saying in an interview. He further commented: "Besides, if that lunatic had gotten away and hurt some innocent person afterward, I'd have to live with that on conscience for the rest of my life." Parker's Uncle and Aunt, who have raised him since the tragic loss of his parents, are quite proud of Peter, as is his high school sweetheart, Mary Jane. The robber, who had a long history of violent criminal activity, has earned his third strike and has been sentience to life in prison.

Gotham City--Prominent Physician Shoots Mugger In Self-Defense

Dr. Thomas Wayne, along with his wife and young son, were on their way home from a night at the movies when they were accosted by two armed men who demanded Dr. Wayne's wallet, his wife's purse, and her jewelry. Unfortunately for the two assailants, Wayne is a life-long member of the NRA and a licensed concealed carrier. Before the muggers could react, the good doctor drew his own pistol and gave one of them a .38 caliber lobotomy at point blank range. The second suspect fled the scene but was later arrested by Gotham City PD. The deceased criminal has been identified as one Jack Napier, whom Officer James Gordan described as "[a] bad seed, loved to hurt people. He wasn't very bright either, so I can't say I'm that surprised to hear the joker met his end like this."

How does your character react to what he/she/it is reading?

Ausming those are nobodies for my character (i.e. no Spiderman/Batman comics, no "real" version of them or not connection to the supposed secret id):

Landslide would be really irritated at all the Violence in America. She is also not really a fan of every citizen running aroudn armed, nor people shooting other in self-defense or wrestlers playing the hero. To much could go wrong with it, since they are not "professionals"/trained for superheroing or stopping crime.

I never really asked the GM whether his world had the standard fictional superheroes in it, but assuming it does, the first thing Riptide would do is go online and see what comes up when he searches for Batman or Spider-Man. I note that in both cases we are looking at movie versions of the characters so I'd check and see if the movies are still there. Then he'd check the memories of people he knows, particularly those who have been time travelling.