What Would (your character here) Do?

Mightybec

OK, folks. How would your current favorite PC or hero team take care of this situation.

An insane villain is holding hostages in a local museum. He's strapped with explosives that monitor his heartbeat. If he dies, he goes Boom and so do alot of innocents. He wants alot of money sent a foreign account, and the longer he waits for the money, the more rare artwork that he destroys. What do you do?

Mightybec

High power:

Assuming the description was complete... I'd just go grab the guy in an energy bubble and fly away with him. Even if he booms in the grabbing or flying, I'd doubt it could get through the def of the bubble. Then just toss him in the drink. If he goes boom (drowns or something) well, no loss and no one got hurt.

Oh, wait... you said heroes, right?

Eh, probably the same thing.

Low power:

I'd run in and dismantle the bomb before he knew what happened (speedsters with transform rock). Then punch him a few dozen times in the noggin by the time he says "hwha?" and be posing for the cameras before he hits the floor unconscious.

Re: What Would (your character here) Do?

Originally posted by Mightybec

OK, folks. How would your current favorite PC or hero team take care of this situation.

An insane villain is holding hostages in a local museum. He's strapped with explosives that monitor his heartbeat. If he dies, he goes Boom and so do alot of innocents. He wants alot of money sent a foreign account, and the longer he waits for the money, the more rare artwork that he destroys. What do you do?

Mightybec

My mentalist with a very empathetic outlook (ie. He is using Mind Control) convinces the guy that it is easier and far less messy to come along qietly to a place we can discuss this in orivate without that pesky package on his chest.

Originally posted by Patriot

5) reverse transaction at the bank

Unfortunately, unless the transaction can be proven as bank error or the criminal signs off on it... that would be illegal. So essentially, you've just paid off the criminal and he'll have full access to the money once he's paid his dues in prison (and he's less likely to get shivved in the shower now that he can promise payment for protection).

And that's just in the States, not counting high security "untouchable" accounts like those fancy shmancy Swiss ones.

Use the "hostage" gun on him. One of my favorite heroes has too guns. One of them has Desolid usable as an attack to get hostages out of the way. Hit him with the Hostage Gun and evacuate the building. Then hit him with the Nural Stunner (affects desolid) until he passes out. Disarm the bomb. Pinch him really hard for being naughty. Take him to the Donjon (Or local version of Stronghold).

Mightybec

I'm sure someone has already mention it...but not in this way...

MENTAL RAPE Baby YEAH!

Sadly several PC would rather just "nuke" the building, they are not art lovers.

Only kidding.

To be truthful, this would be a hard on for the current group of players. I'm not sure they are quite ready to think outside the box. However they could attempt to take him out without killing him, stun-only and NND attacks to the rescue. This would assume he didn't have a switch that went off when he dropped.

Hmm, I have Characters of my own? Oh wait, I do. :)

Most of the campaigns get played in frequently, at least the FTF ones, but...

Lone Star- A growing flying patriot (Texan style) brick with X-ray vision. Most as like he'd pluck that little fellow up fast as he could and get him outta there. Reckon if the x-rays could tell him what part of that bomb was bad, he'd remove it.

Slammer- Slammer is a brick, albeit with a forcefield and double knockback punches instead of the more typical set up. This would startle him, and he's a glory hound so he might panic and do something flashy. He might try to presence attack the guy long enough for him to get the innocents out of there. The Art wouldn't be his top priority. He might rip in through a side wall and surprise the guy while using said wall as a shield for folks to get cover under.

Surge- I would weedle with the GM to see if he'd let Surge's science skills help. Surge would probably talk to the guy, not being over confident like some of my other characters, and would listen to advice from experts. If he could keep the signal from going through some how, he would. He'd try to keep everyone alive because that's what dad would have wanted. (Long story)

Wildcard- Wild Card is slightly unhinged in a cross between Batman and Foxbat kind of way. He's also an escape artist and might be able to remove that thing before the guy could blink. He does have an entangle and would consider it's use first, but if that wasn't feasible.. he might hold himSELF hostage unless the crook conceded to his demands... uhm, that probably wouldn't work. Luck roll please? :)

Mightybec

My character Copycat (a (X-MEN's) Mystique-like character) would probably secretly give a call to Nebula (without telling it to the other PCs) and let her sentence the dude to Duress.

And then, complaint about her vigilante style of justice.

(no, my PC is not very heroic, he/she is efficient)

My favorite character is essentially a Green Lantern clone, so he would trap the villain in a force bubble, which would almost surely be strong enough to protect the normals from the explosion if the villain chooses to trigger it.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for... my different characters would all do different things, depending on their powers and personalities.

(I assume that the villain can trigger the explosion any time he wants. It's too easy if death is the only that that triggers the bomb.)

My current character, ShadowBlade, is a martial artist. He'd shift his multipower to invisibility, sneak in, and find a good hiding spot in view of the hostage taker. Then shift the multipower to chi blast (Ego Attack) and blast away with a pushed attack. 7d6 on a push would hopefully CON-stun the villain. A few more Ego Attacks should be enough.

Or, if the villain resists the first Ego Attack, then ShadowBlade would close to HTH and use a nerve strike (NND, not versus rigid armor).

Other powers that could be helpful in this situation (ShadowBlade doesn't have these powers):

1) Desolidification usable against others. Make the villain desol, then evacuate the hostages.

2) Force Wall or Entangle. Surround the villain to protect the hostages. He can explode, but he won't be taking anyone with him.

3) Use adjustment powers (Drain, Suppress, Transfer) to disable the bomb.

4) Mind Control. Tell the villain to "do nothing". Evacuate the hostages.

5) A good old double-knockback energy blast. Blast the villain out a window, away from the hostages.

6) A big-honkin' killing attack. If the bomb's a focus, shoot it before it has a chance to blow up.

7) if the bomb is triggered by a manual switch, try a Flash vs. the touch sense so the villain can't trigger the bomb.

8) Aid. Let the villain blow up. Then resurrect the hostages.

9) Mental Illusions or Images. Create the illusion that the hostages are still in the room as you evacuate them.

...What do you do?

Mightybec

My last PC (I'm running currently) Champion has N-Ray and Telescopic vision. That makes most hostage situations much simpler. Just land on the roof while the police go through the motions of conceeding to the villain's demands. Wait until he gets into position and smash right through the roof. Grab him and fly back up through the roof and to a safe distance and let him explode all he wants.

So many choices:

• Scales: Probably mental illusion the bomber that everyone is still there and once everyone is safe, put a FW around the bomber and talk him into giving up.
    Andromeda: If it's an electronic trigger, she could disable it from range. Otherwise, she'd want help.
    Ice Pirate: Sneak in and grab all the artwork first. Then come back, disarm the bomb, tap the guy on the shoulder and ask him "What's up?"
    Calico: Not one to care about the hostages or the artwork. Though would probably pay off the villian, then hunt him down like a dog.
    Spectrum: Mind Control or get her teammate to turn him to stone (assuming that would turn the bomb to stone as well...)
    Nighthawk: Swoop in, grab the villian, swoop out. Get badly injured if the bomb went off.
    Roadrunner: Run in, grab the bomb, drop the bomb in some safe locale, and the next second come back and beat the crap out of the villian.
    Vetali: Put a FW up around the villian and her, then knock him out.
    Mr. Impervious: Talk the villian into letting the hostages & art go in exchange for him. (Obviously not disclosing his imperviousness. ;) )
    Ghost: Sneak up and knock him out. Being Desolid, Invisible, and stealthy should make that easy.

Winterhawk, Hero's Hero: Ice wall him so he's unable to access either the art or the hostages, get the hostages out, then zap him with a hypothermia wave (NND).

Hellion,Badman gone Good: Storm in and try to one shot him...if the bomb goes off, jump on him and absorb the blast (Hellion can't die...he just gets ressurected after a short stay in Hell)

So many choices...

Mind's Eye (the mentalist) could pump her entire psionics power pool (80 points) into mind control and force him to surrender. "Nice bomb, disarm it."

Liberty Belle could envelope him in a 16/16 hardened force wall and ask him if he wants to die alone, or if he'd like to surrender. Of course, that in of itself depends on the size of the bomb, and whether you build such things with KA or NDAM DCs.

Bane could do any number of things with his 70 Cosmic Power Pool (No Mental Powers). He might just x-dim move him to the picasso-verse, he might reinforce Liberty Belle's forcewall, he might transform the bomb into a very annoying confetti or rose petal bomb, he might flight-usable-against-others-megascale-10km the guy out a skylight (yeoWch!), he might use images to convince the guy everything is normal while the team moves in, or invisibility them, he might teleport the guy to the dump....

Shadowdancer would use his amazing ninja skills to close with him and then use his TWF (HTH) to get him with 2 6d6NND Indirect, Affects Deso "Dim Mak Attack" (rendering him inert without killing him). If the guy really didn't know he was there he might sweep with the twf hand attack.

Aquarian would hit him with her extremely nasty 5d6 Drain (Con) Affects Physical World, Indirect, NND. She might go with rapid fire if she thinks theres a decent chance of hitting him. Some characters are scary. Unless he doesn't rely on having water in his body he's going to take it.

Anthem (the team leader) would likely talk him out of it. He has 25 Pre, Reputation Honorable +3d6, and a persuasion skill (with levels) of 15-. At the very least he'd try to convince him to exchange himself for the hostages (he's basically an 880 point normal).

Guest Champsguy

Phaeton (a near Flash-level speedster) would just blink him away from everyone before he had a chance to set it off (VPP into Teleport, Usable Against Others, or maybe just grab him and run many inches away). Or he might re-wire the bomb at superspeed (Transform it into useless junk).

My Green Lantern character (before he was killed) would just use the Force Wall technique.

Captain Freedom (a WW2-era blaster) gained a bit of a rep for being a shoot-first, shoot-later, shoot-some-more sort of guy. "Captain Fallout", as some others called him, would probably scare the badguy into surrenduring (not intentionally, of course, I'm assuming the bad guy has a little sense). The Captain's plan would be to blast the guy into unconsciousness/the hospital and trust that he couldn't push the button fast enough. I'm figuring the bad guy knows this too.

Wolf Quai Chang would try to disembowel the guy. Actually, he'd probably succeed. When the hostages see a kung-fu werewolf rip through the wall and try to eat the terrorist, I'm guessing the hostages will decide it's time to leave. Not that Wolf Quai Chang cares one way or another.

Restricting myself to the characters I've actually played:

Nucleon (radiation-themed energy projector) would assume that because he was the hero, things would work out nicely and attempt to talk the criminal down, and most likely wind up as a hostage himself. He wasn't nearly as hot as he thought he was.

Icefox (highly cinematic "ninja" with a bokken and minor ice powers) would try to get close and then quickdraw his bokken and take off the hand with the switch, assuming the manual switch isn't also a deadman switch. Brutal, but there are lives in immediate danger.

Golem (shape-shifter in the T1000/Odo vein) would ooze along/inside the ceiling, the drop tendrils down to try to foul the switch before the criminal pushed it. Not a sure thing.

The best bet would be The Wraith (oh-so-creatively named invisible/desolid guy) would just walk up behind the guy and club him over the head with his quarterstaff. If the manual switch was a deadman, he'd hold it down.

Realistically, I'm very risk-averse, and my characters would all hold back until they could be SURE that they had a plan that would work. Wait for the trained police negotiator, maybe.

Zeropoint

• 7 months later...

Warp: Bring along his portable deep radar imager (N-Ray Vision, OAF) to target him from the outside. After holding an action, use 20" Teleport, Useable As Attack, to noncombat teleport him 40" away from everyone else, then trap him in a spatial distortion bubble (8d6 8 DEF Entangle). If he blows up then all he'll kill is himself.

Spectrum: Uses his energy manipulation powers to render himself invisible, and then sneak into the building. Then proceed to render him unconscious with a NND (Defense is Life Support: Safe Environment - High Radiation), and then fly his unconscious body and the bombs strapped to him quickly out of there to a deserted quarry where the bomb squad can defuse them at their lesiure.

Mystic: Casts a spell which totally transforms all his explosives to chocolate, and then teleport him out onto the street. Let the cops take it from there.

Proteus: Uses bioadaptive shapechanging powers to infiltrate museum and then get close to the guy. Then turn into a goa'uld symbiote and take control of him, using his own skills and memories to disarm the bombs.

• 2 months later...

Husky wouldn't care about the art so he'd grudgingly change into Kenneth so Kenneth could "simulate" the bank transfer and figure out where to catch the guy then change back into Husky for some butt kicking. If Hostages start geting hurt though Husky will throw himself on the exploding bad guy hoping to protect the hostages. Husky can survive most explosions.