BOOK OF THE EMPRESS Kickstarter

Steve Long

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: BOOK OF THE EMPRESS Kickstarter

Quick question: In a write up the Empress is said to have white hair (and lavender eyes), but in the art I've seen she has black hair. What will it "officially" be?

I don't recall discussing her hair color in any detail. ;) Obviously given the technology at her command she can pretty much change it at will. Her natural hair color is white, but if an artist thinks she looks better in a given illustration with darker hair, fine by me. :)

I know why this is! She often colors it black to give an impression of intelligence, since everyone knows that blondes are dumb! :lol:

It's a universal constant across all universes that blondes are perceived as being stupid.

So since she is a platinum blonde and it would not fit for her to be seen as dumb, she usually colors it black! :rofl:

I noticed in the TOC that the section on V'han's Leisure Activities is only one page long. Which is appropriate' date=' since it should read simply, "teh bunneh." :bounce::love::bounce:[/quote']

It does.

Then it lists Steve's personal recipe for Hasenpfeffer.

;)

Don't forget folx -- just because the BotE Kickstarter has already succeeded doesn't mean you can't get in on the fun! There's still time to pledge your support of the project and get the book and other cool rewards. :hex:

I can kick in after Friday. I have a trade show to go to so next week is when I have a good handle on my money.

I can kick in after Friday. I have a trade show to go to so next week is when I have a good handle on my money.

That would be much appreciated. ;)

And as a glimpse into how Kickstarters tend to work, this is why it tends to be better to end them (a) on a weekend day, and (B) toward the end of the month. People are more likely to have been paid then, and to have covered their bills and have some disposable income. (OTOH, some people argue that ending *early* in the month is best, before people incur a lot of expenses... but so far I have to side with the end-of-monthers.)

I've got an idea (uh oh) :fear:

This would sort of tie into Mythic Hero. In the many dimensions Istvatha comes across, she finds a way to become a goddess.

Then she would have the Holy V'han Empire ruled by herself as the Goddess Istvatha! She could have her hair in it's natural platinum blonde and wear fantasy style outfits like a bejeweled metal bikini, etc.

Her people could build temples to her and worship her as their benevolent goddess! :hail:

1/12/2012 NEW GOAL AND REWARD TIER!

The BotE Kickstarter has been a success so far, and we want to thank all of our supporters for their help. Now it’s time to try to make the project an even bigger success, and to do that we’re announcing two additions.

First, we’re setting a new goal of $14,000. If we reach that amount, author Steven S. Long will create a PDF to be given away free only to backers of the Kickstarter. It will provide more details on the Crusaders of the Infinite Realities, an organization of mystics who fight against Empress Istvatha. This PDF will include character sheets for at least five members of the Crusaders as well as other information about the group.

Second, we’re establishing a new reward tier. $150. For a $150 pledge you not only get a copy of the book with signed bookplate (plus of course a PDF and Character Pack), you get to help Steve create a new villain or hero! These characters will appear in a special PDF that we’ll distribute to all backers of the BotE project. You can choose whether to have Steve create a member of the Imperial Battalion (one of the Empress’s superhuman soldiers) or a member of the Crusaders of the Infinite Realities (mystic anti-V’hanian rebels). You tell Steve what sort of powers you want the character to have and provide some other background details, and he’ll create the character. And of course you’ll get credit for inspiring the character in the PDF. It’s an opportunity to contribute directly to the Champions Universe!

Quick question for you, Steve:

I just pledged $50 to the project. Can I assume that I will receive the book in printed form in April or so, and will have an additional $30 billed to me for shipping (as opposed to needing to pledge $80 up front to cover both the $50 pledge necessary to receive the book in print and the shipping costs)?

I just pledged $50 to the project. Can I assume that I will receive the book in printed form in April or so, and will have an additional $30 billed to me for shipping (as opposed to needing to pledge $80 up front to cover both the $50 pledge necessary to receive the book in print and the shipping costs)?

Unfortunately there's no capacity for that sort of billing, either on Hero's part or on Kickstarter's (AFAIK). You'll need to increase your pledge to $80 now.

Crusaders of the Infinite Realities' date=' an organization of mystics who fight against Empress Istvatha. [/quote']

So, they are villains then! :lol:

Sounds like an interesting idea that could be used in different ways. Perhaps they would contact the heroes, warning them of an impending invasion.

But who is really the bad guy? What are their true intentions? Is there really even an invasion coming, or is their warning part of an insidious plot? :yes:

So, [the Crusades of the Infinite Realities] are villains then!

As Istvatha V'han, her police force, and most of her subjects perceive them, absolutely. From the V'hanian perspective they're pretty much terrorists. (And to be fair to the Empress -- while some of them are very, very much heroic in the Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo sorta sense, more than one of them's an outright criminal or sociopath just mouthing slogans he doesn't give a damn for.)

As PCs fighting against her perceive them, probably not. To PCs they're potential welcome allies, freedom fighters, whatever you wanna call 'em. (And to be fair to the heroes -- many of them are just that. ;) )

Unfortunately there's no capacity for that sort of billing' date=' either on Hero's part or on Kickstarter's (AFAIK). You'll need to increase your pledge to $80 now.[/quote']

Thanks! I wasn't sure how the shipping was calculated. I'll change my pledge promptly!

This alone creates whole new campaign ideas. Working as her agents against the terrorist calling themselves Crusaders.

I discuss the possibility of "working for the Empire" campaigns in the book (not at great length, but it's in there). That whole concept ties in to the thing that makes the Empress such an intriguing villain (at least to me) -- the fact that she is (for the most part) well-intentioned and genuinely helps so many of her subjects by improving their lives in a broad, meaningful way. It's easy to oppose Dr. Destroyer or Mechanon; there's nothing likeable or beneficial about them. The Empress? Well, she raises some interesting moral and political dilemmas. :eg:

Is it possible to pledge at more than one level? The new option sounds very appealing.

No. However, we are discussing ways to let people who've already pledged at the $200 or higher level pay a little extra and get the $150 "help Steve create a character" benefit. Hero can't just give that away for free (since it has to pay me to create the characters, pay someone to lay them out, etc.), but since some people have already pledged generously Hero wants to find a way to let them take advantage of this for not too much more money.

However, there are logistical difficulties. We indicated a limit of 10, and that limit may be one thing inspiring someone to pledge at that level. As far as I can tell there's no way for us to "artificially" indicate that one of the ten slots was taken up by a "higher level pledger getting the $150 benefit." OTOH, if we don't count those higher level pledgers, then the people who pledge at $150 expecting to get one of the limited number of benefits may be upset.

We're discussing the best way to approach this and will hopefully find a solution that will satisfy everyone. I'll report back on that as soon as I have more info, hopefully later today.

This is why many Kickstarter programs have each level add to the one before. In fact, I think this one does as well...

It does for all tiers but the "Imperial Hero" one we just added. We couldn't give that to existing pledgers automatically without screwing up our desired limit of ten $150 pledge levels. But as I mentioned above, we're working on a way to satisfy all parties involved.

And as always... thanx for y'all's support! :hex: