BOOK OF THE EMPRESS Kickstarter

Steve Long

Howdy Herophiles!

Hero Games is proud to announce the launch of its first Kickstarter project: The Book Of The Empress!

You can go to Kickstarter and pledge your support here: Book Of The Empress Kickstarter.

Our goal is to raise $10,000 in pledges by January 29 to produce the book. We'd appreciate any support you can offer!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Kickstarter, here's how it works. Kickstarter is a form of "crowdfunding," in which people such as yourselves offer their financial support for a creative project to see it completed. You can pledge as much as you want, from $1 up to any amount. At certain pledge levels (such as $10, $25, and $50), there are special "rewards" you get for backing the project. For example, for the BotE Kickstarter, pledging $25 gets you a PDF of the book and thanks in the credits, while pledging $50 gets you all that and a copy of the hardcopy printed book.

When you pledge to back a Kickstarter project, no money is taken from you unless the project reaches its full funding level. If it fails to reach its goal (in the case of BotE, $10,000), then no money is taken from anyone and the project doesn't see the light of day.

But naturally, we hope that doesn't happen! Here at Hero we're looking at Kickstarter as an intriguing new way to continue to publish HERO System books the fans want. If this one funds successfully, then we'll plan and launch Kickstarters for other books. Please join us in leading Hero into a new and exciting era!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: BOOK OF THE EMPRESS Kickstarter

We're at 17% as of this morning, which I consider good progress. ;)

Statistically, 90% of Kickstarter projects that reach 30% of their funding goal at any point in time get fully funded by the end. So reaching $3,000 in pledges is a sort of sub-goal... or at least a good benchmark.

Steve addressed that issue on another of the "Kickstarter" threads. Many book publishing companies are willing to absorb some of the real cost of shipping their books, but Hero Games can't currently afford that for a Kickstarter project.

I've bought books from individual private sellers in Europe who presumably weren't absorbing any of the expenses and the shipping costs didn't come close to that. I'd advise the guys at DOJ to look into less expensive shipping methods/handling processes that might take longer to get product to the customer but won't utterly rule out international orders due to a shocked "!@#$% THAT!" reaction.

We're at 17% as of this morning, which I consider good progress. ;)

Statistically, 90% of Kickstarter projects that reach 30% of their funding goal at any point in time get fully funded by the end. So reaching $3,000 in pledges is a sort of sub-goal... or at least a good benchmark.

Blew past the 30% mark, $3832.00 at this point.

Well, we've passed the 50% mark! Thanx to everyone who's pledged their support so far, and we hope the rest of you will consider kicking in a pledge at some point in the next 24 days. ;) We're halfway there, but that still gives us a long way to go.

In a few minutes I'm going to post another update to the project with some interior art. Stay tuned! ;)

Not a book I normally would have gotten either' date=' but I'm committing to every Hero Kickstarter.[/quote']

Same here. I don't get a whole lot of the Champions stuff, but I will kick in for the first couple of Kickstarter projects as well.

Humm...I am pondering...do I have to pledge something to buy a copy of the book at a later date? (I realy don't know myself...kinda feals like a Mother Hen moment to me...you can't eat the cornbread unless you help make it...sounds right to me...but with limited funds it would be hard to help make the cornbread.)

Steve would know for sure, but I'm pretty confident any book that meets its kickstarter goal will at least be available in PDF format from then onward, even if the actual print run is pretty small. Once development costs are met it costs essentially nothing to keep the file available for electronic download, so all such purchases after the fact are almost pure profit for the publisher/authors.