Has anyone tried doing an Hyborian/Conan game using Fantasy Hero

starblaze

My favorite author of fantasy is Robert E Howard and I love Sword and Sorcery. I have played the Conan D20 game as well as Barbarians of Lemuria. I also have been a Hero System fan for years (since 1981), and I wouldn't mind trying out a Conan style game using Fantasy Hero.

So has anyone done this? How did it turn out?

Re: Has anyone tried doing an Hyborian/Conan game using Fantasy Hero

Check out Surbrook's Stuff. Also, a thread he started here called "Hyborean Monsters from the World of Conan."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary toots Lucius' horn and mentions the Hyborean Dancing Girls

I ran a S&S game....and it went fairly well. I think it would have been more fun for me if the players were more engaging with the world, but they had fun.

I put the players into various situations and would present a sort of "moral dilemma".

The lack of instant (or even quick) healing makes people think twice about the actions they take.

I haven't per se but one of my favorite characters is loosely based on Conan and I have a blast playing him. I also am a hugh fan of REH too. I would gladly help work on such a project. :) Where did you plan to start? What power level you start at? One issue I think would be killing attacks and defenses. We know that Conan can be a whirlwind of destruction so how do you represent that without tpk with the players?

The Valdorian Age' date=' for Hero 5th Ed, is pretty much S&S. Worth finding, I think.[/quote']

I have that sourcebook, but it didn't really scratch my itch. Its not bad but campaign wise its pretty much a city adventure. What I was interested in was whether anyone had made up package deals and the like. I really have no great desire to run anything right this moment, I was just curious.

I am using the Valdorian Age. Yes the main part of the book is all about Elweir. But what I have done is continue to expand on the areas around Elweir. Plus there are hints of deep and dark dungeons and passages underneath Elweir as well :-)

I actually have a S&S pickup game set in ancient Lemuria in the past of our

Defenders Congregrate! game. I roughly mapped out Lemuria, came up with city names, beasts and

such, expecting the characters to roam around like Conan. But they got tto the first city and haven't left. They have actually taking over the criminal element and practically wiped out a prehistoric Viper organization. We haven't played it in a while though but it was a blast.

By the way, that was a high powered S&S campaign. The characters started at 350pts. I got that number by averaging Surbrook's Conan, Fafhrid, Mouser and other S&S builds. I think I threw in his John Carter and Tarzan builds for good measure too. I made the high-end benchmark Conans stats. It worked really well except the players ran out of stuff to spend points on ; )

By the way' date=' that was a high powered S&S campaign. The characters started at 350pts. I got that number by averaging Surbrook's Conan, Fafhrid, Mouser and other S&S builds. I think I threw in his John Carter and Tarzan builds for good measure too. I made the high-end benchmark Conans stats. It worked really well except the players ran out of stuff to spend points on ; )[/quote']

Ran out of stuff? Is that really possible in Hero? :)

Well what the players complained about was having a bunch of points leftover. My Benchmarks were pretty high for a S&S game but considerably lower than a Supe's game that starts at 350. Basically, they were able to build their concepts under the starting points and didn't know where to go after that. They pretty much started out as being bad ass heroes.

Which wasn't a bad thing giving the genre.

I have that sourcebook' date=' but it didn't really scratch my itch. Its not bad but campaign wise its pretty much a city adventure. What I was interested in was whether anyone had made up package deals and the like. I really have no great desire to run anything right this moment, I was just curious.[/quote']

I haven't looked at the book in a year or two but I think Valdorian Age included a bunch of character-class-like templates?

Overall I was impressed with VA and still think its the best campaign setting book out there for fantasy hero.... lots of detail and one of the more original ones.

*Looks down on the thread from his throne of bones while paging through his latest REH acquisition. *

Just need to mark my spot and I'll have a few things to post later when work gives me a window...

~Rex

I haven't looked at the book in a year or two but I think Valdorian Age included a bunch of character-class-like templates?

Overall I was impressed with VA and still think its the best campaign setting book out there for fantasy hero.... lots of detail and one of the more original ones.

Last night I got this book out and read it. Honestly if you have a copy of Fantasy HERO and Valdorian Age you can do a very slick conan-style swords and sorcery game. Even if you don't use the setting from VA you can plug and play the city into your world (rename as necessary) or just use it as an idea mine.

Last night I got this book out and read it. Honestly if you have a copy of Fantasy HERO and Valdorian Age you can do a very slick conan-style swords and sorcery game. Even if you don't use the setting from VA you can plug and play the city into your world (rename as necessary) or just use it as an idea mine.

I have been using it for over a year. The home base for the players is Elweir but they have been traveling all over the place. I made on major change in my campaign - I don't use the magic system in VA. I love the concept but I think 'managing' the whole favors thing would have become a major pain in the backside.

I have been 'slowly' growing the areas around Elweir. Some of the adventures that I think were very 'Conan' like were:

• Protecting a caravan from bandits. They 'scared' off the scouting party but then on the way home they were jumped by a larger number. And just like Conan can take on a bunch of 'bandits' at one time the party did the same thing (4 or 5 to 1 odds).
  • When inspecting a building to turn into a tavern, they go into the basement only to find a Carrion Crawler the size of a bus (actually more like van) which they fight and kill.
  • And now they are following a 'treasure map' to an ancient treasure trove ... hehehe.