Property Damage Done During A Typical Superbattle In Your Campaign World?

Mister Trent

That really depends on the type of campaign and if your players like being stuck in the weeds. 

In my supers games that will be covered under plot device and between-session narration. 

The same way we usually handle paying rent, mundane jobs and going to the bathroom. 

If we are talking about in session damage and not after the battle is over repercussions.

I blow up things.  If a super misses that bolt will go somewhere.  I don't go overboard with it, but I do let secondary damage happen. 

Property damage is part and parcel for my Champions games.  If the villains aren't trying to destroy something the players generally trash something around.  The brick likes using manhole covers, dumpsters, and occasionally a parked vehicle.  The character with telekinetic powers likes to find chain link fences or chains to use as a way to entangle her opponents (that is the special effect of her entangle).  She also likes picking up big things and dropping them on the bad guys.

Insurance covers most of the damage - that is why they work for Primus.

The fight I ran for my group on Friday evening had an abandoned factory pretty much destroyed. This was mostly Oculon's fault. Near the end of the battle he opened up with his massive AoE energy blasts and took out one wall of the place.

Who will pay for it? Insurance I suppose. It does make me think that the place could in fact be owned by one of VIPER's many shell companies. This way they can re-coup losses from having it destroyed when the heroes show up. In fact, I really like this idea. It could be an standard operational procedure for the snakes.

In my game, there's likely to be some damage to nearby walls and vehicles. Between games, the characters have to help fix all that stuff as a show of goodwill and to keep the city's premiums down; so they try to move fights to locations where the collateral damage will be minimized. They operate out of Albuquerque, so that usually isn't difficult.

An unusual feature of this setting is that a lot of cities allow beefs between superpowered folks to be settled in 'combat zones' and put the battles on PPV, provided all parties agree to the rules. It helps avoid damage to property and bystanders, and makes the city money. The participants also get a cut.

It all depends on the Type of game I am running.  In a Dark Champions game I run actions had consequences, this included property damage from any attack they used.  Even hits could potentially cause collateral depending on its specific effect.  I left it up to the Player on what action they took and what actions they took was reflected in Public Opinion.

Also years ago I run a Dragonball Z game (Champions 4/ Fuzion) and in that game the landscape was altered.  As a rule of thumb characters are harder than the environment and if they collide with it the environment is destroyed.  They even managed to blow an entire planet up in a battle.

That was a fun game and I really did not put much repercussion into them and they always had the option of the Dragonballs undo deaths and destruction. 

As it happens the Superhero Webcomic Grrl Power just had a Comic about this issue:

http://www.grrlpowercomic.com/archives/1223

One of the commentors had this idea:

"In all the talk of collateral damage and such, no one mentions …. Power Rangers.

Are we not going to mention that half the time a villian shows up they are suddenly in the middle of a wooded area? or abandoned industrial complex?

Instant vorping, A city can have that spell, it will instantly teleport away any ‘supers’ that start to fight within city limits. Where they teleport to…. well it’s the same area, all set up with remote cameras to catch the fight and post it on the internet.

YES! That’s what we need, and instant battle arena, subscribe to the website or tv station and all monies goes toward rebuilding the orphanages and bunny rehabs that are totaled in the first shot of the fight."

Like Dr. Agendas Idea, just automatic.