In other news...

tkdguy

Fair to moderate, not critical. Still, the guy is 72 and just coming off a broken ankle.

Ford has been known for his piloting activities in the aviation community for some time. He's one of the few men alive who can actually afford the hobby, and has been known to assist in search and rescue missions for lost hikers.

I hope he wears a fedora on those rescue missions. That would just be tops.

OTOH, the vintage airframe probably did not survive.

It sounds as though it can be salvaged, though the damage does look pretty bad. It's probably a good thing that the engine wasn't running--wait let me rephrase. It's probably a good thing that the engine didn't suffer any additional damage as it was not running on impact.

In Documentary on Russian seizure of Crimea, Putin apparently admits that he ordered planning for its seizure weeks before the bogus referendum. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31796226

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/17/russia-putin-crimea-idUKL6N0N921H20140417

http://rt.com/news/crimea-defense-russian-soldiers-108/

20,000 Russian troops in the region during the "referendum" but outside observers?

But of course he is an honorable man...

And Russia is the victim of an international conspiracy and has never done ANYTHING wrong...

New Vaccine Proven Effective Against Genital And Oral Herpes Viruses

Only in mice so far, but here's hoping. That said, if it is effective, I expect lots of pushback against administering it.  Nobody wants to give their kid an STD vaccine because nobody wants to imagine their kid having nookie.  Oh, the arguments I've gotten in with my relatives about that, WRT the genital wart vaccine.

My tin-foil-hat side is pondering how big the herpes treatment business is for big pharma, will they advertise/lobby against it?

New Vaccine Proven Effective Against Genital And Oral Herpes Viruses

Only in mice so far, but here's hoping. That said, if it is effective, I expect lots of pushback against administering it.  Nobody wants to give their kid an STD vaccine because nobody wants to imagine their kid having nookie.  Oh, the arguments I've gotten in with my relatives about that, WRT the genital wart vaccine.

My tin-foil-hat side is pondering how big the herpes treatment business is for big pharma, will they advertise/lobby against it?

Herpes treatment is a pretty big business, but that doesn't matter. Big pharma doesn't really lobby against treatments - that's a loser's business from the start, because no politician wants to be associated with denying treatment (even if the treatment is of dubious value) and the backlash if it was discovered would be severe. And it would be discovered: you can't keep a secret when it involves many people. So you're right - the idea that big pharma lobbies against or suppresses treatment is a tinfoil hat idea that really belongs on the fringe with the home treatment crowds  and he people who believe big oil is suppressing the nuclear car that never needs refuelling. If they see an effective treatment, they're all over it, even if it cannibalizes earlier products: pharma products turn over very rapidly and cannibalizing your own sales is an accepted (actually, expected) part of the business.

What big pharma does lobby for is the adoption of treatments - again, even if the cost/benefit is sometimes questionable. So if/when this treatment actually becomes a product expect a lot of effort being spent convincing people that they really, really need a vaccination against herpes.

cheers, Mark