In other news...

tkdguy

Your Viral Infection History from a Single Drop of Blood

This sounds exciting to me.  Also, it only costs $25 per shot? Not sure how bad the markup in a clinic would be, but if it were only $25, that would certainly please me.  The doctor always says "those are symptoms for a virus" but never can say WHICH virus.  It would be worth $25 for him to say "your baby has Roseola.  This is the fever phase.  Expect a spotty rash here in a couple of days."

Markdoc, is this exciting news? We plebs have a hard time telling.

Too young to wed: Malawi chief sends married children back to school

A Malawi chief has decided to take the issue of child marriage into her own hands.

In late June, Inkosi Kachindamoto, a Malawian traditional leader, annulled more than 300 child marriages in her district, ordered the children to school, and fired a number of village heads who sanctioned the marriages, the Nyasa Times reported.

It was a bold move that reflects the slow but steady progress, both in Malawi and globally, against forcing children to marry.

Your Viral Infection History from a Single Drop of Blood

This sounds exciting to me.  Also, it only costs $25 per shot? Not sure how bad the markup in a clinic would be, but if it were only $25, that would certainly please me.  The doctor always says "those are symptoms for a virus" but never can say WHICH virus.  It would be worth $25 for him to say "your baby has Roseola.  This is the fever phase.  Expect a spotty rash here in a couple of days."

Markdoc, is this exciting news? We plebs have a hard time telling.

It's a new technology, and if it can be done for 25 bucks a test, it's about 5-10% of the price of current tests that do the same thing, so that's pretty cool.

How useful would it be? For high risk patients (like transplant patients) we already do this type of test, but that's not for diagnosis. It's for planning future treatment. The drawback of this new test (like the old tests) is that it relies on antibodies. Normally, it takes 2-3 weeks for your body to generate a measureable antibody response. So the test will tell you what you've had, but not necessarily what you have right now.

That could still be useful - especially as we collect more information on how individuals respond to infection and long term risks of infection - but probably won't have an immediate effect on medical practice.

Cheers, Mark