Looking for iconic Crusader and Starburst from BBB

DJWebb2

Flash used to be 10 points a d6, now its 5, so that's not a good example, but some things got more expensive like growth and density increase, as you noted.  Still, I think the inflation was 75% "lets be more powerful" because comic book characters over the last 30 years have gained in raw power and range of abilities in most cases.  And because 'dude, more powerful!'

Flash used to be 10 points a d6, now its 5, so that's not a good example, but some things got more expensive like growth and density increase, as you noted. Still, I think the inflation was 75% "lets be more powerful" because comic book characters over the last 30 years have gained in raw power and range of abilities in most cases. And because 'dude, more powerful!'

I could be mistaken about flash cost. And I believe that in 5th it is mentioned that debuting characters are more powerful than back when Champions wad first designed.

And 1E had 2 sample characters both of which had 100 points in disadvantages. In the first game I played in that was the max allowed (because the GM was going by the examples given), but there was no specific limit set.

Edit: And 2E didn't provide any additional rules about max disads, but they did increase the examples to 3 characters, all of which had 100 points in Disadvantages.

2e provided more detailed guidelines on character building, which pointed towards 225 point characters. 3e had virtually identical suggestions, but targeted at 250.

Under 4e and 5e you could build a character according to the 2e guidelines, and slap on 25 extra points of skills, to get a nice 250 point character.

6e is trickier. The supposedly equivalent point total is 300, but I tend to find that conversions exceed the extra points. I'm experimenting with building the equivalent of 225 point characters, and ignoring the extra skills. In effect, going back to 2e style characters.

One small issue with higher starting point totals is that you have a greater chance for attack/defense disparity since the range of potential values is greater. With lower point totals, starting attacks and defenses tend to settle towards a median value that makes an attack on the upper end not so devastating against defenses on the lower end. Higher point totals also seem to entice players to create more complex builds with more powers on the sheet, which makes combat take longer (it is an odd phenomenon, but a very real one nonetheless).

Full disclosure: I have always found the point system a vital element of the game. I am not likely to find much in common with players who regard the point system as unimportant.

True enough. I can agree to disagree. I tended to see lower point totals as everyone looks the same. (Granted, I can accomplish that with my higher point totals as well...and often do. ;))

Sameness is certainly a potential issue in just about any RPG. It is something we've all coped with pretty much from the beginning of the hobby: (A)D&D characters of any given class typically looked and played identically for the first several levels in the early versions of the game (basically until magic items provided some degree of differentiation). But with Champions, that was much less of an issue simply due to the overwhelming choices in powers and character concepts. Even if you had a superhero team in which everyone had a 20 Dex and a 5 Spd, they usually looked and felt very different in actual play because one was a brick, one was a blaster, one was a mentalist (who attacked in Ego order anyway), etc. So even in the areas where sameness tended to take hold in Champions, it was mitigated significantly by the nature of the genre, at least in my experience.

Sameness in build is not so much an issue to me in a RPG because its the character's background, personality, and goals that set them apart - what makes them a character instead of a bunch of stuff on a sheet - that matters.  In any case I've not seen much of that in my experience.  I suppose Joe Min/Max is going to pick the perfect set of abilities but its been my experience that players tend to make characters their own. 

Exactly, and with our groups it didn't matter how many points we used. We did get to see an unhittable martial artist vs an indominable brick square off. It was fun.

took 4 turns and 2 hours - both PC's (one possessed.)

I think by the end of it the MA had managed to get the brick's stun to about 60% when the big man finally got lucky and landed a punch. Game over. But it was fun. 

Page references? I actually looked through a copy of 2E before posting just to refresh my memory.

Page 71. Under "Notes on Playing" there is a section titled "Reasonable Characters".

"If you start your campaign at a beginning power level of 225 pts. per character, some general guidelines on characters are possible..."

What the heck, while I'm at it, I'll whip up some 6th edition Champions.  Yeah I know, already done but this is what they look like in the 4th edition book, as the Starburst and Crusader builds are.  These again are as literal as I can make them.  Interesting results so far; I had to build Homestead and Slingshot for the point donation totals too so I'll post them too I guess.  Art will have to wait until I get them scanned and colored.

First up, Defender:

Defender

Val Char Cost
 15  STR    5        With Armor: 40    Lift 200kg/6,400kg  Damage: 3d6/8d6
 18  DEX   16       With Armor: 23
 18  CON    8
 10  BOD    0
 23  INT    13        Perception Roll: 14-
 10  EGO   0
 10  PRE    0        With Armor: 20 (offensive only)  Presence Attack 2d6/4d6
  6   PD      4        With Armor: PD 18; rPD 12
  5   ED      3        With Armor: ED 17; rED 12
  5   SPD   20         
  7   REC   3
 35  END   3
 30  STN    5

4 OCV 5           With Armor: 8
  4 DCV 5           With Armor: 8
  3 OMCV 0
  3 DMCV 0

12m RUN   0
4m   SWIM 0
6m   LEAP 1
Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost Power
 25    Batteries: Endurance Reserve  (100 END, 10 REC) Reserve:  (33 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) [Notes: All Powers in OIF use END Reserve batteries]
 46    Biophysical Enhancement: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 46 Real Cost) +40 STR (40 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 27)
          plus +5 DEX (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)
          plus +10 PRE (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Offense Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5)
          plus +1 SPD (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)
 20    Bolo Missiles: Entangle 4d6, 4 PD/4 ED (40 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
 15    Boot Rockets: Flight 22m (22 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 24    Armor: Resistant Protection (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  3     Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  6     Holographic Projector: Sight Group Images, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)
  8     Suit Com System: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  3     Wide Spectrum Visual Interpreter (WSVI): Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
  2     Visual Enhancement: +2 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 13    Targeting Systems: +4 OCV (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
 13    Defensive and Evasion Systems (DAES): +4 DCV (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 178

Cost Skill
  3     Combat Piloting 14-
  3     Computer Programming 14-
  3     Electronics 14-
  3     Inventor 14-
  3     Mechanics 14-
  3     Scientist (all INT based)
  2     1)  Science Skill:  Aeronautics 14- (3 Active Points)
  2     2)  Science Skill:  Power Systems 14- (3 Active Points)
  2     3)  Science Skill:  Weapons Systems 14- (3 Active Points)
Skills Cost: 24

Cost Perk
 10    Money:  Wealthy
  2     Positive Reputation:  Do Gooder (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6
  7     Vehicles (donation for Slingshot, 34 pts)
  4     Bases (donation for Homestead, 19 pts)
Perks Cost: 23

Total Character Cost: 316

Pts. Complication
15 Dependent NPC:  Wendy (housekeeper) Frequently (Normal)
15 Hunted:  Armadillo - Frequently (As Powerful; Harshly Punish)
25 Hunted:  Viper - Frequently (More Powerful; Non Combat Influence; Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Complication:  Skeptic of the supernatural (Common; Strong)
20 Psychological Complication:  Fearless, will risk self without hesitation (Very Common; Strong)
15 Psychological Complication:  Driven by family history to be heroic even if he doesn't want to be (Common; Strong)
15 Negative Reputation:  Selfless Do-Gooder, insatiably curious, (Very Frequently)
15 Social Complication:  Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)
Complication Points: 135
21lvaix.jpg

And Seeker.  He's my least favorite Champion because he's such a dull stereotype.  When I tried to do a Champions webcomic, I turned him into a 4 armed guy from India called Shiva, with a totally different personality but basically the same skillset.  He's much more expensive than Defender, because stats and no armor to bring cost down.  However, he's very vulnerable to attacks; today he'd probably have some combat luck at least.  I gave him weapon elements with his sword and sai because it seems like he should have them, even though the 4th edition build lacked it.

Seeker

Val Char Cost
 25  STR   15        Weight: 800 kg; Damage 5d6
 26  DEX   32
 23  CON  13
 10  BOD   0
 13  INT     3         Perception Roll: 12-
 10  EGO   0
 13  PRE   3         Presence Attack: 2 1/2d6
 15  PD   13
 14  ED   12
  6   SPD 40
 10  REC  6
 46  END  6
 35  STN  8

9   OCV 30
  9   DCV 30

18m RUN   6
4m   SWIM 0
10m LEAP 3
Characteristics Cost: 219

Cost Power
  3     Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)
 12    Sai: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4) [Notes: (x2 number of items)]
  7     Shuriken: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Recoverable Charges (-0)
 12    Katana: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1)
Powers Cost: 34

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
  4     Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 Strike
  5     Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 9d6 Strike
  4     Martial Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
  4     Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
  3     Martial Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 5d6 +v/10, Target Falls
  2     Use Martial Arts with Sai, Katana, Open Hand
Martial Arts Cost: 22

Cost Skill
  3     Acrobatics 14-
  3     Breakfall 14-
  3    Climbing 14-
 16   +2 with HTH Combat
  2    AK: Outback 11-
  4    Language:  Japanese (idiomatic)
  3   Navigation (Land, Marine) 12-
  3   Shadowing 12-
  3   Sleight Of Hand 14-
  3   Stealth 14-
  2   Survival (Desert) 12-
  3   Tracking 12-
Skills Cost: 48

Cost Perk
  4    Bases (Homestead Donation, 18 pts)
  7    Vehicles (Slingshot Donation, 33 pts)
Perks Cost: 11

Cost Talent
 15   Combat Sense 12-
Talents Cost: 15

Total Character Cost: 349

Pts. Complication
 10   Dependent NPC:  Current Girlfriend Infrequently (Normal)
 20   Enraged:  Innocents are abused (Common), go 11-, recover 11-
 25   Hunted:  Viper Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
 10   Hunted:  Red Band of Ninja Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)
 15   Hunted:  Green Dragon Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
 15   Negative Reputation:  Will never break his word, honorable, Frequently (Extreme)
 20   Psychological Complication:  Puts innocents before himself (Common; Total)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Code of honor, punishes dishonorable, honors honorable (Uncommon; Strong)
 10 Psychological Complication:  Seeker of noble truth, puts himself into danger to find answers (Common; Moderate)
  5   Psychological Complication:  Irreverent Wisecracker (Uncommon; Moderate)
  5   Rivalry:  Professional (any other martial artist; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
 10  Social Complication:  Cultural fish out of water, taken as bumpkin (Frequently, Minor)
Complication Points: 155
2wbrw9s.jpg

The Champions Base Homestead.  Its a pretty simple straight across build, although I did some of the disads differently (a DNPC for the base?  What's it going to do, rescue Wendy when she goes off on another hairbrained scheme to help the Champions?).  I kind of bent the rules to build the "vault" in the base, by making it an 18x12 sub-base and buying it with the base rules.  It works well for little sections inside a base like this but as a GM I'd be real careful about allowing it.  Also, I removed the "library/knowledge base" PS and replaced it with Solitaire's mystic lab.  Pretty much anyone with a smart phone today has a better library than the Homestead would have had back then.

Homestead

Val Char Cost
 10  SIZE   20     3 stories of 36m x 30m and Penthouse Hangar of 20m x 18m; OCV to hit +10
  8   BODY 6
 10  PD     12
 10  ED     12
Characteristics Cost: 50

Cost Power
   4    High Range Radio Array: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); OIF Immobile (-1 1/2)
Powers Cost: 4

Cost Skill
  3     PS: Aeronautics Lab 12-
  2     PS: Power Systems Lab 11-
  2     PS: Weapon Systems Lab 11-
  2     PS: Mystical Lab 11-
  7     Criminology Lab 11-
Skills Cost: 16

Cost Perk
  3     Grounds (x8 Base Size)
 20    Vehicles & Bases (Vault)
  1     Location:  City (0 Active Points)
Perks Cost: 24

Total Character Cost: 94

Pts. Complications
 15   Distinctive Features:  Well Known City Landmark (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
 10   Watched:  PRIMUS, SAT, US Government and law enforcement Frequently (As Pow; NCI; Watching)
 15   Watched:  Viper Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
Disadvantage Points: 40
Base Points: 94

Last one for tonight: Slingshot, the VTOL jet that the Champions use to zip around in.

Slingshot

Val Char Cost
  7   SIZE  35      12m x 5m; 12.8 ton weight; Knockback -7m; OCV to hit +4
 45  STR   0
 20  DEX  20
 17  BOD  0
  8   PD     9
  8   ED     9
  4   SPD  20

12m RUN   0
  4m SWIM 0
  0m LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 93

Cost Power
 30    Grav Flight: Flight 30m
 30    Thrusters: Flight x128 Noncombat
  6     Radio System: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)
  7     Air to Air Radar: Radar (Radio Group) (15 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)
Powers Cost: 73

Total Character Cost: 166

Pts. Disadvantage
 15   Distinctive Features:  Famous vehicle (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
 15   Watched:  Viper Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
 15   Watched:  PRIMUS Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
Disadvantage Points: 45

I kind of bent the rules to build the "vault" in the base, by making it an 18x12 sub-base and buying it with the base rules.  It works well for little sections inside a base like this but as a GM I'd be real careful about allowing it.  

The normal way of doing this would be to buy the extra defenses and any other vault-only powers with the Partial Coverage Limitation.

Quantum.  I like her background a lot, the idea of her crippled younger brother being her conscience and driving her to be better than just a vigilante is a great idea.

Quantum

Val Char Cost
 23  STR   13      Weight: 600kg; Damage 4 1/2d6 
 24  DEX   28
 23  CON  13
 11  BOD   1
 13  INT     3        Perception Roll: 12-
 10  EGO   0
 15  PRE   5        Presence Attack 3d6
 10  PD     8        With Force Field: 22 PD; 12 rPD
 10  ED     8        With Force Field: 22 ED; 12 rED
  4  SPD  20
 10 REC   6
 45 END    5
 36 STN    8

OCV:    8
DCV:    9
OMCV: 3 
DMCV: 3

12m  RUN   0
 4m   SWIM 0
 4m   LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 168

Cost Power
  24   Inter-Nuclear Flight: Flight 24m, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  24   Inter-Nuclear Shield: Resistant Protection (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); Costs Half Endurance (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)
  40   Inter-Nuclear FOrces: Multipower, 50-point reserve,  (50 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-1/4)
  4f   1)  Nuclear Blast: Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  4f   2)  Nuclear Binding: Entangle 5d6, 5 PD/5 ED (50 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  2f   3)  Fission Burst: Sight Group Flash 5d6 (25 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
  4f   4)  Nuclear Force: Barrier 10 PD/10 ED, 8 BODY (up to 10m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick) (50 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 102

Cost Skill
   3    +1 OCV with Multipower
   3    Paramedics 12-
   3    PS: Doctor 12-
Skills Cost: 9

Cost Perk
   7    Vehicle: Slingshot Donation
   4    Base: Homestead Donation

Total Character Cost: 290

Pts. Complication
 25   Dependent NPC:  Younger Brother Samuel Very Frequently (Incompetent)
  0    Distinctive Features:  Mutant (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Technology Or Major Effort)
 20   Enraged:  Innocent bystanders attacked out of hand (Common), go 14-, recover 14-
 15   Hunted:  Pulsar Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
 10   Hunted:  Older Brother and his gang Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)
 25   Psychological Complication:  Hatred of criminals and gang bangers (Very Common; Total)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Hunts brother and his gant (Common; Moderate)
 10   Negative Reputation:  Vigilante, Infrequently (Extreme)
 15   Social Complication:  Secret ID Frequently, Major
 10   Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect Negative Adjustment Powers (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 165
2mwe0qo.jpg

Obsidian, the last one for tonight.  I liked him, a variant from the usual brick.  A noble and courtier with high science skills and high intelligence

Obsidian

Val Char Cost
 60  STR   50     Weight: 100tons; Damage 12d6
 18  DEX   16
 28  CON  18
 16  BOD   6
 18  INT     8       Perception Roll: 13-
 12  EGO  2
 25  PRE  15      Presence Attack 5d6
 30  PD     8
 20  ED     8
  4   SPD  20
 13  REC   9
 55  END   7
 48  STN  14

OCV: 6
DCV: 4
OMCV: 3
DMCV: 3

16m  RUN    4
  4m  SWIM  0
24m  LEAP 10
Characteristics Cost: 215

Cost Power
 10    Big and Dense: Knockback Resistance -10m
  1     Reach: Stretching 1m
 45    Rocky Skin: Resistant Protection (20 PD/10 ED)
Powers Cost: 56

Cost Skill
  6     +2 OCV with punch, haymaker, grab
  3      Computer Programming 13-
  3     Combat Piloting 13-
  3     High Society 14-
  2     AK: Imperial Space 11-
  3     Language:  English (completely fluent)
  2     Navigation (Space) 13-
  3     Scientist
  1     1)  Science Skill 11- (2 Active Points)
  1     2)  Science Skill 11- (2 Active Points)
  1     3)  Science Skill:  Genetics 11- (2 Active Points)
  3    TF:  Grav Vehicles/Hovercraft, Large Planes, Personal Use Spacecraft, Small Planes
Skills Cost: 31

Cost Perk
  7     Vehicle: Slingshot Donation (33 pts)
  4     Base: Homestead Donation (18 pts)

Total Character Cost: 313

Pts. Complication
 20   Distinctive Features:  8 feet tall and made of black rock (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
 15   Hunted:  Imperial Enemies Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)
 15   Hunted:  Ogre Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
 10   Physical Complication:  Large (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
 10   Physical Complication:  Heavy (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Noblesse Oblige (Common; Moderate)
 20   Psychological Complication:  Completely dedicated to Stellar Empire, will do anything for it (Common; Total)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Homesick for Empire (Common; Moderate)
 10   Social Complication:  Public Identity (Frequently, Minor)
 10   Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Sonic and vibration attacks (Uncommon)
 10   Vulnerability:  2 x BODY Sonic and vibration attacks (Uncommon)
Complication Points: 165
2zicy0z.jpg

The Solitaire.  I had a hard time figuring out how to do her Widget in Hero Designer; I cannot get floating modifiers to work in it no matter what I do.  Someone perhaps can explain how to do it; all the powers in her multipower have 1/2 END Cost with an OAF on it; the widget.

I like the concept and background of Solitaire, but not her costume (kind of trampy for her personality).

Solitaire

Val Char Cost
 13  STR    3       Weight: 130kg; Damage 2 1/2d6
 20  DEX   20
 20  CON  10
 40  BOD  30
 10  INT     0        Perception Roll: 11-
 20  EGO 10
 13  PRE   3        Presence Attack: 2 1/2d6
  8   PD     6
  6   ED     4
  5   SPD  30
  8   REC   4
 45  END   5
 30  STN   5

OCV: 7
DCV: 7
OMCV: 7
DMCV: 7

12m RUN   0
  4m SWIM 0
  4m LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 194

Cost Power
 26    Mystical Field: Resistant Protection (13 PD/13 ED) (39 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)
 17    Blink: Teleportation 26m (26 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)
  5     Custom Power (5 Active Points)
  6     Widget: Half END Cost on Multipower (12 Active Points); OAF (-1)
 56    Magical Powers: Multipower, 56-point reserve
 6f     1)  Mystic Bolt: Blast 10d6, Widget: 1/2 END with OAF (56 Active Points)
 6f     2)  Mystic Strike: Mental Blast 5d6, Widget: 1/2 END with OAF (56 Active Points)
 6f     3)  Mystic Command: Mind Control 10d6, Widget: 1/2 END with OAF (56 Active Points)
 5f     4)  Mystic Manipulation: Telekinesis (30 STR), Widget: 1/2 END with OAF (51 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 133

Cost Skill
  3     Acting 12-
  3     Disguise 11-
  3     Mimicry 11-
  3     Stealth 13-
  3     Ventriloquism 11-
Skills Cost: 15

Cost Perk
  7     Vehicles: Slingshot Donation
  4     Base: Homestead Donation

Cost Talent
  3     Bump Of Direction
Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 356

Pts. Complication
 10   Distinctive Features:  Has conversations with widget (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
 15   Hunted:  Howler Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
 25   Hunted:  The Cabal Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
 15   Physical Complication:  Damage done to Widget is done to her (Infrequently; Greatly Impairing)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Wants to be true hero, disllusioned world is not black and white (Common; Strong)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Afraid her friends will abandon her if she fails (Common; Strong)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Naive and unworldly (Common; Moderate)
 10   Psychological Complication:  Always questions moral basis of every action (Common; Moderate)
 15   Social Complication:  Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)
 10   Unluck: 2d6
Complication Points: 165

2vb8orb.jpg

The Solitaire.  I had a hard time figuring out how to do her Widget in Hero Designer; I cannot get floating modifiers to work in it no matter what I do.  Someone perhaps can explain how to do it; all the powers in her modifier have 1/2 END Cost with an OAF on it; the widget.

Naked Advantage is on the Power list. (And did you mean. "multipower" instead of, "modifier"?)