Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The only thing Trump brings to the table is election denial.

Trump brings the inconoclastic, rebellious attitude, a presence, and a following.  Granted:  on policy he brings nothing, but he didn't have anything in '16 either.  Lake brings absolutely nothing but election denial, as far as I can tell.

In principle, yes, but if you listen to Trump's stump speeches (and I can completely excuse you if you can't bring yourself to), the "stolen election" is almost the only thing he ever talks about any more. His own followers are getting bored with him; his rally crowds are seriously dwindling, and many of them leave halfway through his speech. His cultists loved him because he made them feel like winners, but it's getting harder to look at Trump's repeated electoral failures and see him as other than a loser.

16 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

The head of the DOE, Sam Brinton, is arrested for stealing luggage. Infuriating.  I was the one defending them for being very qualified and their being non-binary not meaning anything. Neither of those things have changed, but now I do regret standing up for them.

That's inaccurate. Sam Brinton was "the deputy assistant secretary for spent fuel and waste disposition at the Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Energy." https://nypost.com/2022/11/29/biden-official-sam-brinton-used-allegedly-stolen-suitcase-for-a-month/  Still a government official who committed an illegal act, but far less senior.

Brinton has been charged with felony theft of a moveable property without consent, and was placed on leave last month after allegations surfaced, and an interim replacement named. If convicted they (Brinton uses non-gender pronouns) could face up to five years in prison and/or up to a $10,000 fine.

31 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

That's inaccurate. Sam Brinton was "the deputy assistant secretary for spent fuel and waste disposition at the Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Energy." https://nypost.com/2022/11/29/biden-official-sam-brinton-used-allegedly-stolen-suitcase-for-a-month/  Still a government official who committed an illegal act, but far less senior.

True, but still VERY high.  

Secretary

Under Secretary for Science and Innovation

Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy.

then deputy assistant secretary

Assistant Secretary is a position that requires Senate confirmation.  Deputy doesn't, but it is a Senior Executive Service position.  For age 34...that's doing exceptionally well.  Now?  <WHOOSH>  Straight down the tubes.  This has to be a position requiring a TS clearance, and forget that with a felony conviction.

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

Oh, we're ACHING for it.

Now if they'd just do Trump next.

Assuming they’re working their way up the ladder, I’d assume there’s quite a few rungs to go before we see Trump facing a jury. 

I’d also assume they’ll need to do something concrete before the 2024 electioneering starts getting serious. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Assuming they’re working their way up the ladder, I’d assume there’s quite a few rungs to go before we see Trump facing a jury. 

I’d also assume they’ll need to do something concrete before the 2024 electioneering starts getting serious. 

I still get into arguments with people who think Jan 6th was 'a bunch of old men wandering around capitol hill'.  The damage people like Crowder and Tucker have done to this country cannot be underestimated.

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

True, but still VERY high.  

Secretary

Under Secretary for Science and Innovation

Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy.

then deputy assistant secretary

Assistant Secretary is a position that requires Senate confirmation.  Deputy doesn't, but it is a Senior Executive Service position.  For age 34...that's doing exceptionally well.  Now?  <WHOOSH>  Straight down the tubes.  This has to be a position requiring a TS clearance, and forget that with a felony conviction.

Yes, but that isn't what you wrote. I looked it up specifically because "head of the DOE" in this situation would have had huge repercussions. Please keep in mind that inaccuracies like that are how destructive rumors get started.

EDIT: Unclevlad pointed out to me that he did not make the original post. My apologies to him and the community for my carelessness. :slap:

On 11/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

In my opinion, it's hard to look at Trump in any respect and see him as other than a loser.  But that's just my opinion.  Take it for what you will.

What I'm expecting is a repeat of 2016. The common electorate will grant him something between 10-20% of the vote.  Then the powers behind the scenes will come in and determine that we did not know what we were doing and recast the election,  giving him over 50%, WAY  more than is needed to claim the nomination. (I was surprised that this didn't happen in 2020.)