Heroic Green Goblin

winterhawk

Having recently purchased the Superhero Gallery Expanded via the store, the entry on the Themed Gadgeteer prompted me to try to build a character based on the Green Goblin, who I always thought had a cool and unusual suite of powers.  For the unfamiliar, per Wikipedia:

In his first appearances, the Green Goblin seems to be a normal man (albeit very nimble and athletic) who gets his powers from his many gadgets. In later appearances, it is established that due to the "Goblin Formula", Norman and any successor to the Goblin persona possesses superhuman strength (lifting 9 tons under optimal conditions), increased speed, reflexes, endurance, and healing rate. Though much slower than the likes of Wolverine, he can regenerate damaged tissue and organs. His intelligence has been enhanced to gifted levels, though at the price of his sanity. His involvement with the Gathering of the Five loosened his grip on reality, though he is able to maintain his sanity via chemically treated dermal patches. When not impaired by mental illness, Osborn is a cunning businessman, masterful strategist, and highly skilled in electronics, mechanics, engineering and chemistry. The Green Goblin is armed with a variety of bizarre devices. He travels on his bat-shaped "Goblin Glider", an incredibly fast and maneuverable rocket glider equipped with various armaments. Other weapons the Goblin uses include incendiary Pumpkin Bombs, smoke- and gas-emitting grenades resembling ghosts and jack-'o'-lanterns, razor-edged boomerang-like throwing weapons called razor bats and gloves woven with micro-circuited filaments which channel pulsed discharges of electricity at nearly 10,000 volts. He wears a green costume underneath bulletproof chainmail with an overlapping purple tunic. His mask has a built-in gas filter to keep him safe from his own gasses.

What I don't want to do is take the Goblin and slap a different coat of paint on him i.e. Jack O' Lantern, Boogeyman, etc.  I want to drop the horror/Halloween gimmick (and the insanity).  The question I pose to the learned panel is how do I re-theme the character while keeping the same suite of powers?  What do the pumpkin bombs become?  What about the Goblin Glider?  I'm open to any and all suggestions.

As always, thanks in advance.

Instead of the batlike "goblin glider," how about a mechanical riding device with a bird motif? Then the grenades can become eggs, feathers as throwing darts or blades, a sonic "screech" attack rather than electricity. Using a raven for a more villainous or "dark hero" type, an eagle or falcon, a hummingbird, or even a dove, for a four-color hero.

Or if you want to exaggerate the type-casting a little more, perhaps a Native American "Thunderbird," with any of the above as well as gimmicked versions of traditional Native American weaponry.

Alternatively, the glider and costume could be based on a flying dinosaur. Then you could mine the Jurassic Park film series for thematic gadgets. ;)

Seems like you'd just have to break him down to his abilities at a core list: flying machine, various grenades, body armor, personal blasting weapon in gloves, etc.  His origin, his schtick etc all are up to the design.  you could make a variant of him that nobody would even know was the Green Goblin.  Put him on a broom with potions - the Alchemist!  Put him on a flying carpet with summoned imps that explode - the Arabian Knight!  OK that one is a bit Golden Age but you get the point.

Your questioning the wrong thing. What you rename the glider is secondary. What you rename him is what you should worry about. As was pointed out with the flying on a jet two obvious themes are a jet riding gadgeteer or a bird type.

If the former he just rides the jet and uses his bombs, gas bombs, and vibrocutters.

If the latter he rides the Raptor wings and uses his shriek bombs, air bombs, and talons.

How to retheme the character is usually simple depending on the theme you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably, finding an entertaining shtick that would be fun to play depending on what part of his concept you want to emphasize.  If you want to empathize his glider, any flight themed concept should work.  Sky Commander, Air Lord, the Hummingbird.  If he has a military background, any militaristic concept would work.  Green Grenadier, Captain Commando.  If you are feeling creative while listening to the Beatles, name him the Eggman, give him egg themed gadgets, and a sidekick called the Walrus.

Green Guardian - Normal Osborne abandons his chemical enhancements research and concentrates on his technology, building powered armor to rival Tony Stark's Iron Man suit.

Actually some interpretations have him donning Iron Man made suits, as the Iron Patriot.

With his son Norman as teh "Patrioteer" in a similar suit of armor.

@winterhawk:

Your question is wierd. As others pointed out, you can just slap about any theme on the Gadgeteer Hero and it Works. Bat. Green Goblin. Does not mater.

But you don't want to slap a new theme on it. You want to get a translation to a less "evil" version of the Green Goblin Theme.

About the only thing I could think of would be to make minor changes to the gadgets, butoverall keep them the same.

Just compare the 1960 or Brave and the Bold Batman too any of his darker/broodier incarnations. Something as simple as turning his costume dark blue-ish rather then black made him a lot less dark.

Well this is from left field, but anyway.

I tried to figure how the glider thing worked and couldn't imagine a power source that would work, and then I remembered Magneto escaping from the plastic prison in X-Men 2.  Which led me down the path of "what if you inverted it all?

Where I end up is, what if he's just a telekinetic?  He "throws" the glider around with telekinesis, augments his strength with telekinesis, uses it to bounce his thrown weapons in odd angles (don't remember if GG did that, but anyway).  Instead of an insane billionaire scientist, he becomes a devout ascetic, perhaps even a Shao Lin monk, which would help explain both his fighting prowess and some of his regenerative abilities.

You could replace the various weapons with their Shao Lin or modern equivalents.  Alternatively, to the extent that the bombs resemble fragmentation grenades, you could make the "bomb" simply a container of shrapnel and then use a TK special effect to provide both the concussive force and propel the eviscerating shrapnel.

In terms of building it, you could pretty much just apply TK special effect to your right up of Green Goblin and basically have done.

I know, weird, but you did say "any and all"

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the flyboards been confirmed by Guinness and now has the world record for hover board distance with 2,252.4 meters of flight.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2016/4/confirmed-franky-zapata-sets-new-farthest-hoverboard-flight-record-in-france-427011

They must also had been drinking Guinness at the time. No pink elephants were confirmed though.

Back on topic. Someone who found one of Osborne's Goblin lairs and would adapt the technology for their own use without the stigma of Green Goblin by making the glider more bird wing like and making the gear with a angelic motif.

Hence DarkAngel ala Dark Champions: TAS. Personally I would only change things slightly and be called The Gremlin if only to oppose or annoy Osborne.

Back on topic. Someone who found one of Osborne's Goblin lairs and would adapt the technology for their own use without the stigma of Green Goblin by making the glider more bird wing like and making the gear with a angelic motif.

Actually someone might choose to stick to the original design just to show that "the mask does not make the person". Like back in the first interpretation of the Red Robin: