The Nightwing problem

TheQuestionMan

BTW this is a shout out to the old timers who have been playing at least since 4e (otherwise this won't mean anything to you). The OP headline could have just as easily read "The Seeker Problem". Because Seeker was the "cool" martial artist who was always getting his tail handed to him on the cover of nearly every 4e Champions book. So much that he was eventually written out of the Champions Universe. I would love to see a Seeker who has gone totally insane from all of the beatdowns and taunting from being beat down. Come back to plague the CU, Kind of Superboy Prime and just as annoying.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

BTW this is a shout out to the old timers who have been playing at least since 4e (otherwise this won't mean anything to you). The OP headline could have just as easily read "The Seeker Problem". Because Seeker was the "cool" martial artist who was always getting his tail handed to him on the cover of nearly every 4e Champions book. So much that he was eventually written out of the Champions Universe. I would love to see a Seeker who has gone totally insane from all of the beatdowns and taunting from being beat down. Come back to plague the CU, Kind of Superboy Prime and just as annoying.

In our old campaign, I beefed up Seeker a bit to make him a "Iron Fist meets Nick Fury and Richard Dragon". He lost some of his cockiness and started fighting back, unlocking his chi and becoming a living weapon in the process. Eventually he got involved with UNTIL and, after moving to reserve membership in The Champions, he worked as an agent for the agency. When the campaign came to a close, one of the PCs had become his new student and was being prepped for the next Tournament of the Dragon. I always hated how Seeker was punked all of the time.

In our old campaign, I beefed up Seeker a bit to make him a "Iron Fist meets Nick Fury and Richard Dragon". He lost some of his cockiness and started fighting back, unlocking his chi and becoming a living weapon in the process. Eventually he got involved with UNTIL and, after moving to reserve membership in The Champions, he worked as an agent for the agency. When the campaign came to a close, one of the PCs had become his new student and was being prepped for the next Tournament of the Dragon. I always hated how Seeker was punked all of the time.

The TNM version of Seeker was pretty cool. He became much less generic in that game.

In 5e Seeker still technically exists. Nighthawk didn't licence himself to the comics so they put in Seeker. Hello fanboy dressed up as Seeker. No idea about 6e.

6ed Champions Universe is 5ed Champions Universe a few years ahead. So what is cannon in 5th is cannon in 6th.

Re-imagining Seeker wouldn't be too hard. The biggest problem would be renaming him, because of IP.

Australian ninjas aren't impossible. We had a ninja craze back in the 60s, more or less at the same time as Batmania. I have a photo to prove it. :ph34r:

Also Australia produced most of the special forces folks that went behind Japanese lines in WW2. New Zealand provided a large proportion of the Long Range Desert Group. Between them, we have a serious claim to non-powered superheroes.

So original Seeker is a breeze. Just remove the more hopeless cheese.

And put on a shirt, dude. Haven't you heard of skin cancer?

C:NM Seeker is something else. Everything bad about the 90s jammed together in a big ball of snot.

Still, he could be saved. The Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter comes to mind.

Maybe merge the two.

He can't be called Seeker. He has to wear a shirt. He's a genetically engineered clone of a WW2 Australian commando, trained by his original donor's former arch-nemesis. He can kick your butt.

So now everyone's wondering what happened for Seeker and looking for evidence he is still around somewhere?

We should rename him HideAndGoSeeker

Where's Waldo? Of the Champions Universe

"Seek the Seeker" rather then "Where is Waldo?" Fitts rythmically. Would make a good in-joke.

They both suposenly skilled martial artist who get beat up offen.

Yep on the cover of pretty much every 4e Champions supplement/Adventure has Seeker taking a hard shot and getting knocked around in a way that implies he's being KOed.

I always wonfered if Defender ever built suits of Powered Armor for his Teammates?

DId Tony Stark ever do so?

Don't think so as it would have interfered with thier "Shtick". He even avoided using the armors that would have stepped on thier shtick despite clearly having them.

In the defender example it would have screwed with point balance and those are knda the example Characters for Hero...

The idea of a guy having 82 suits of super armor lying around is pretty new with the presumption that the character has 900 times the GNP of the entire planet combined in the bank to pay for it all.

"The world" in that example can somehow afford Shield helicarrier(s) crashing every other week. And daily superhero battles in cities without bankrupting national economies. So not that exceptional.