STAR TREK: Discovery

wcw43921

Yeah, that's what some folks are telling me

"What did I miss?"

"oh, our heroine, after 7 years of loyal service..."

"Commits Mutiny in the pilot"

And I'm thinking

and I'm supposed to root for this person ?

Well, to be honest.

The heroes of Star Trek series disobey orders on a regular basis. It just usually works out in their favor so they seldom end up actually being charged.

Yes.

Yes I did.

But then I'm a McCoy fan ;)

Also, how do I say this...

I had several episodes to get to know Spock.

starting out with him doing in the first episode? I might have gone 'wth?'

Try to save your mutiny for when you've earned some of the audience's love and trust. Spock earned his moments of defiance. I don't think Mikey did.

YMMV

I'm kind of torn here--I do like the uniforms, and I do like the starship and technology design.  I just have a very hard time accepting that in ten years Starfleet's design will evolve from this into the color-coded uniforms and brighter ship compartments of the Original Series.  Unless they're planning some sort of temporal shake-up or offering some other explanation, I don't see how that will happen.

(For the record, I liked the uniforms and technology on Enterprise.  I could easily accept those eventually becoming the Original Series uniforms and other aesthetics.)

Maybe I'm cheesy and shallow, but it's impossible for me to hear the phrase "Vulcan Hello" without thinking of "Brentwood Hello."  (Google it--you can either thank me or be disgusted with me later.)

Yes.

Yes I did.

But then I'm a McCoy fan ;)

Also, how do I say this...

I had several episodes to get to know Spock, years of character development

starting out with him doing in the first episode? I might have gone 'wth?'

Try to save your mutiny for when you've earned some of the audience's love and trust. Spock earned his moments of defiance. I don't think Mikey did.

YMMV

Spock's mutiny happened in the 11th episode of the first season so no, you did not have years of character development.  Plus he was also guilty of hijacking the Enterprise too boot.

Spock's mutiny happened in the 11th episode of the first season so no, you did not have years of character development.  Plus he was also guilty of hijacking the Enterprise too boot.

I should have worded that more accurately. 'I had several episodes to get to know Spock. He had years of character development"

But you're making my point. ELEVEN EPISODES versus out of the gate. Spock, we had 11 episodes to get to know the guy better, learn that almost anything he did was out of logic and loyalty. Burnham? it's presumed 7 years of loyalty, we are told, not shown. Show don't tell beats told not shown to most. 

I'm not saying STD is terrible. I gave it a 6 out of 10. I do think having the protagonist commit Mutiny so quickly is off putting.  And, again, YMMV

EDIT: And I am typoing all over the place as it is.

I should have worded that more accurately. 'I had several episodes to get to know Spock. He had years of character development"

But you're making my point. ELEVEN EPISODES versus out of the gate. Spock, we had 11 episodes to get to know the guy better, learn that almost anything he did was out of logic and loyalty. Burnham? it's presumed 7 years of loyalty, we are told, not shown. Show don't tell beats told not shown to most. 

I'm not saying STD is terrible. I gave it a 6 out of 10. I do think having the protagonist commit Mutiny so quickly is off putting.  And, again, YMMV

EDIT: And I am typoing all over the place as it is.

I disagree given that the Captain and the Admiral were being monumentally stupid at the time.  They had evidence that the Klingons were a violent people after all, the Admiral admitted that the Federation had been in a state of Cold War with them for years and Michael's history indicates that the Klingons had attacked the Vulcans within her lifetime.  So they're facing off with the fleet of a hostile force who've attacked their allies, in that situation shoot first is not an irrational nor illogical idea.  Heck the Vulcans thought it was the logical plan.

Anyway, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. 

I disagree given that the Captain and the Admiral were being monumentally stupid at the time.  They had evidence that the Klingons were a violent people after all, the Admiral admitted that the Federation had been in a state of Cold War with them for years and Michael's history indicates that the Klingons had attacked the Vulcans within her lifetime.  So they're facing off with the fleet of a hostile force who've attacked their allies, in that situation shoot first is not an irrational nor illogical idea.  Heck the Vulcans thought it was the logical plan.

Anyway, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. 

It's a semi Free galaxy. I was the one saying YMMV at the start.

*Shrug* 

Does remind me of that old star trek parody song though

"We come in peace, shot to kill, shoot to kill" :)

So did anyone see the Pilot? I've recorded it, only to find out 60 minutes ran over the first half of the recording. So.. I guess I'll watch what I can of the pilot in the interest of fair play.

The fact that the Captain and First Officer were lost in the desert is a perfect metaphor for this series.

Let's go over some problems

1. Michael, her name is Michael.

2. They have the Captain and First Officer walking in the desert for hours rather then just beam down to the well, first the phaser into it, and beam back hours before the storm.

3. Michael was raised on Vulcan because  .  .  .  like she doesn't have any human relatives?

4. The Klingons are ugly, shiny, and spoke in Klingon which is annoying.

5. Dozens of Klingons and only three speaking parts.

6. Starfleet Space Suits can fly at 12000 kph.

7. They never would have investigated the Klingon Space Tombstore if it hadn't been giving off a scrambled electronic signal.

8. When in the desert a starship has to be in line of site to transport people.

9. Starfleet Space Suits recording devices automatically erase when it's damage.

10. The Klingons need to set off a huge flare to call their fleet rather then use subspace radio.

11. Klingons wiping out a Human/Vulcan outpost doesn't count as contact between the Federation and the Empire.

12. We don't see the USS Discovery.

13. We don't meet the Captain of the Discovery.

14. The Orville had us meet the Captain, the Crew, see the ship, and go on a mission in it's first hour, and looked so much better.

I have nothing productive to say here, other than "thank you" for the critiques everybody. There is nothing here I didn't already suspect and nothing that is going to sway me to watch the pilot for a show that is apparently doomed before it starts. Neither am I in anyway going to subscribe to YASS (Yet Another Streaming Service) just to watch that same doomed show limp towards oblivion.

Great job CBS. Way to make your mark upon a beloved franchise.  :rolleyes:

I have nothing productive to say here, other than "thank you" for the critiques everybody. There is nothing here I didn't already suspect and nothing that is going to sway me to watch the pilot for a show that is apparently doomed before it starts. Neither am I in anyway going to subscribe to YASS (Yet Another Streaming Service) just to watch that same doomed show limp towards oblivion.

Stop complaining about shows you were never going to watch in the first place Nolgroth!

The fact that the Captain and First Officer were lost in the desert is a perfect metaphor for this series.

Let's go over some problems

1. Michael, her name is Michael.

Oh thank goodness. I thought it was just me that disliked that. I was feeling kind of bad about it too. 

So nobody remembers Michael Learned, the Depression-era mother everyone wished they had?

Because that's the first thing that occurred to me.

Again, I actually liked what I saw for the most part. Just not enough to subscribe to CBS.

In fact, does anyone know whether there are commercials on the CBS pay channel? Because I had to fast forward through a lot of commercials during the pilot.

edit: Found the answer--$6/mo with commercials, $10/mo without.

Again, I actually liked what I saw for the most part. Just not enough to subscribe to CBS.

In fact, does anyone know whether there are commercials on the CBS pay channel? Because I had to fast forward through a lot of commercials during the pilot.

edit: Found the answer--$6/mo with commercials, $10/mo without.

I didn't have to join the CBS pay channel to view the episodes, so that shows that in some places it can be viewed without that.  That might only be in Canada though, in which case it's not helpful to you.

I didn't have to join the CBS pay channel to view the episodes, so that shows that in some places it can be viewed without that.  That might only be in Canada though, in which case it's not helpful to you.

Yes, in Canada, it is available on Space and the Crave TV streaming service. Outside of Canada and the United States, it is available on Netflix.