STAR TREK: Discovery

wcw43921

The fact that the Captain and First Officer were lost in the desert is a perfect metaphor for this series.

Let's go over some problems

1. Michael, her name is Michael.

2. They have the Captain and First Officer walking in the desert for hours rather then just beam down to the well, first the phaser into it, and beam back hours before the storm.

3. Michael was raised on Vulcan because  .  .  .  like she doesn't have any human relatives?

4. The Klingons are ugly, shiny, and spoke in Klingon which is annoying.

5. Dozens of Klingons and only three speaking parts.

6. Starfleet Space Suits can fly at 12000 kph.

7. They never would have investigated the Klingon Space Tombstore if it hadn't been giving off a scrambled electronic signal.

8. When in the desert a starship has to be in line of site to transport people.

9. Starfleet Space Suits recording devices automatically erase when it's damage.

10. The Klingons need to set off a huge flare to call their fleet rather then use subspace radio.

11. Klingons wiping out a Human/Vulcan outpost doesn't count as contact between the Federation and the Empire.

12. We don't see the USS Discovery.

13. We don't meet the Captain of the Discovery.

14. The Orville had us meet the Captain, the Crew, see the ship, and go on a mission in it's first hour, and looked so much better.

Let's not forget the Klingon flare was visible across the galaxy instantly. Light speed, wtf's that?

Apparently unmanned probes are against starfleet's religious views. A woman manually flying a space suit is apparently more practical than a small, automated probe with an AI of some sort. I guess hot sassy black women are the new ubermenschen.

Also I guess wire guided systems, a technology first used by Nazis in ww2, has also been forgotten. Just once I'd like to see situation where xxxx was jamming transmissions so they had a probe trailing a fibe-op diamond filament wire behind it.

The white Klingon was the poor oppressed minority until he proved himself. Real subtle...

Again the cloak was new in tos and Spock had to speculate on it's nature. Now they were old hat in pre tos shows.

I will not criticize the show for the fact it's tech looks so much higher that TOS or the movies. I understand the realities of time, technological advance and budget.

May Lolth have mercy upon our souls.

She doesn't do mercy. Ask the Drow.

Don't you mean Loltha?

Touchy subject. Salvatore tried to do her out of royalties by spelling her name as Lloth

Lolth is already female, no?

Implying she is not female might result in Spider infestation.

I'm not asking her. You ask her.

You don't need to. She reads the boards.

Ask death tribble to ask her for us. That is a safer option.

Not as safe as you might think.....

And as a bonus he might get eaten! :D

HEY !

Unlikely. #bromanceOrWhateverItIs

She used me as a tennis ball. That hurt.

Now I feel cheated...If I knew humans were strong enough to perform a Vulcan nerve pinch, I would've nerve-pinched the heck out of everyone I've known for the past 48 years.  :no:

There's a nerve cluster under the collar bone. What I understand it requires jamming a finger down into it. So not as easy as the Vulcan's way.

I liked last night's episode - pretty much the only way for Michael to remain on the show, even if it's been done before (Tom Paris from Voyager).

But....

I agree with the complaint the tech is too high.  Holographic communication was something that was being explored in the time of DS9, not pre-TOS... and invariably whatever they're trying to do with these spores must fail if they even want to pretend to adhere to a timeline, as the Enterprise wasn't powered by space mushrooms.  I could see the people in TOS not knowing about top secret research vessels from the Klingon war - top secret and all - but I have a harder time believing working technology from these vessels not being mentioned or used so...

I liked last night's episode - pretty much the only way for Michael to remain on the show, even if it's been done before (Tom Paris from Voyager).

But....

I agree with the complaint the tech is too high.  Holographic communication was something that was being explored in the time of DS9, not pre-TOS... and invariably whatever they're trying to do with these spores must fail if they even want to pretend to adhere to a timeline, as the Enterprise wasn't powered by space mushrooms.  I could see the people in TOS not knowing about top secret research vessels from the Klingon war - top secret and all - but I have a harder time believing working technology from these vessels not being mentioned or used so...

To be fair

that's just the story the Captain is telling Michael.  Since he's clearly less then trustworthy, it could be something he made up to fool Michael.

I honestly think it's a little of both - she's clearly intended to be too intelligent for such a deception to hold (especially since he wants her working on it) if it was pure fabrication. 

Though pure bio-weapon *would* be easier to hand-wave away and fit in to Trek. They were always finding abandoned research or failed prototypes of doomsday weapons.

I honestly think it's a little of both - she's clearly intended to be too intelligent for such a deception to hold (especially since he wants her working on it) if it was pure fabrication. 

Though pure bio-weapon *would* be easier to hand-wave away and fit in to Trek. They were always finding abandoned research or failed prototypes of doomsday weapons.

True, though as she was raised among Vulcans it's a possibility that detecting falsehood isn't something she's necessarily good at.  Not because she's stupid but because she was raised by a people who are noted for being very honest.  Most of the Federation believe 'Vulcans don't lie' is an undeniable fact after all.

I wasn't so much referring to detecting falsehood as saying 'wait a minute....' and realizing all the other possible applications while working on the project.  *That* she's been expressly shown as capable of doing by spotting a flaw in the code without even knowing what it was, exactly.

Which doesn't remove the potential of her saying 'This can be used as a weapon', like she already has, and him saying 'But we won't use it that way.  I swear' with his fingers crossed behind his back, as he already basically has - I'm sure not many people know about 'kitty'.  I'd just be a little disappointed if she bought into it until the inevitable betrayal just because of one little speech - skepticism is a very common trait among scientists, after all, and I want to see her remain suspicious of his intentions.