Golden Age Champions Discussion Thread

Darren Watts

So, an old theory about Amelia Earhardt is being resurrected because of an old picture showing a woman with some guys on a dock.

The theory goes like this: Miss Earhardt landed her plane safely somewhere, after the radio was damaged and she lost contact with the ground, and was grabbed by Japanese (or even: her plane was forced down by Japanese and captured) because they thought she was/she was actually spying on them for the USA.  Held by the Japanese, she died in custody.

I actually ran that exact scenario for my Golden Age Champions campaign, with the PCs hooking up with Chinese heroes to save her because she was a US spy.

In a superhero universe the Japanese would have turned Miss Earhardt over to a Nazi scientist to test a super-soldier formula on. The previous male subjects had died, but the formula works and she uses the superhuman powers she gains to break free and escape.  She offers her services to the U.S. government who decided to give her a new identity as Lady Eagle!

Pity I missed the Kickstarter and earlier discussion. Have to look at getting it when it hits retail. Golden Age is easily my favourite setting - I've got both of the Chris Coultier books and ran a couple of campaigns back in the day. One player even did his character as the 1940s original and grandfather of his (late) 1980's one, which is always a good shtick. I assume that's an idea that made it in?

• 3 months later...

BTW you can now pick up a PDF of the Golden Age Champions Secret Files from the Hero website store, with forty pages of outtakes from the GAC manuscript that didn't fit into the final book, including more background info, adventure outlines, and full write-ups for ten more characters.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/709-golden-age-champions-secret-files/

Actually, that reminds me of a question I have for Darren. I was hoping there'd be a vehicle sheet for Rick Royce's super-jet, the Condor, in the Secret Files, since it's not in the main GAC book. No luck, though. Does that file exist somewhere? If so, is there a chance we'll be able to see it some day?

Ok..got my copy. Some early thoughts:

1)The character writeups are good...VERY good. Even if you have no intention of running a Golden Age era game, a good GM can get a lot of milege out of the plethora of characters that are in here.

2) Diversity: Not just Nazi bad guys and not all..."black and white" morality.

3) Optimus immediately evoked Oyzmandias from The Watchmen for me.

4) Art was mostly good to great. No complaints here.

5) Liquidator made me laugh out loud.

6) Good amount of background material as well(mostly in the first half of the book).

All in all, I think they knocked it out of the park and I can't wait to delve more deeply into it.

Ok..got my copy. Some early thoughts:

1)The character writeups are good...VERY good. Even if you have no intention of running a Goolden Age era game, a good GM can get a lot of milege out of the plethora of characters that are in here.

2) Diversity: Not just Nazi bad guys and not all..."black and white" morality.

3) Optimus immediately evoked Oyzmandias from The Watchmen for me.

4) Art was mostly good to great. No complaints here.

5) Liquidator made my laugh out loud.

6) Good amount of background material as well(mostly in the first half of the book).

All in all, I think they knocked it out of the park and I can't wait to delve more deeply into it.

1) Very much agreed. Many of them could be translated to a modern-day campaign with little effort. No few would easily fit into heroic-level campaigns. But I really appreciated the "After the War" side bars for almost all of them, describing their later activities and what lingering impact those could have. In particular, the lineages of General Zima and the Morimoto brothers are rife with possibilities for legacy characters.

2) Yes, a surprisingly wide range of nationalities, and motivations. That includes a number of characters who aren't really a part of the war, just looking out for themselves or their neighborhoods. But some of the heroes are true-blue types, while some of the villains are truly vile.

3) First analogue I thought of too. But Drake Wilson is a lot more likeable than Adrian Veidt.

4) and 5) Yup. ;)

6) For people interested in running a WW II supers game, the included info would make things vastly easier. The detailed timeline alone includes so many historical events that could be the basis for scenarios.

Some great stuff here! Much of it already mentioned.

-Rex Sterling is awesome and a very good boy!

-Plot seeds per year of the war? Oh hellz to the yes.

-I really did love some of the art work Lady Mystery is rocking the classy hair style and highboots

- The bits on 'immortal types' and 'Hidden Lands' were up to were greatly appreciated.

-If you like Atlantis, as I do, Steel Shark and Mara and so on brings in a whole new front to the war

Actually, that reminds me of a question I have for Darren. I was hoping there'd be a vehicle sheet for Rick Royce's super-jet, the Condor, in the Secret Files, since it's not in the main GAC book. No luck, though. Does that file exist somewhere? If so, is there a chance we'll be able to see it some day?

You know, I'm certain I had one during the playtest, but I can't lay my hands on it. I'll have to rebuild the darn thing and post it on the boards at some point. dw