2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

The NFL has gotten into a mess of their own making. Their tone-deaf response to protests is actually a distractions from the more troubling issues of owners blackmailing cities into giving them stadiums, the league pushing teams on cities that don't want them and uprooting them from cities that do, and the increasingly-inevitable labor dispute hanging over everything like a vulture.

You have to wonder what's propping the edifice up.

And while we're listing more troubling issues, let's not forget concussions and CTE. Concerns over head injuries are already have an effect on youth football.  Imagine a generation of parents who don't want their kids playing football. What effect would that have of the future of the league?

From a post speculating about Seattle getting rid of their offensive coordinator, Darrel Bevell:

Of the 32 men running offenses {that is, offense coordinators) today in the NFL, 13 are in their first year of doing so. Another 13 are in their second or third year. More than three-quarters of OCs are brand-new or relatively new hires. (Hey, maybe that has something to do wtih how so many offenses appear unwatchable this season.)

With 26 OC’s crossed off the list, that leaves just six guys who’ve lasted five or more years in their current position:

Mike Shula in Carolina (5)

Harold Goodwin in Arizona (5)

Todd Haley in Pittsburgh (6)

Josh McDaniels in New England (6)

Darrel Bevell in Seattle (7)

Pete Carmichael in New Orleans (9).

You’ll notice, of course, that all six enjoy the professional company of a franchise quarterback who has won (or appeared in) Super Bowls. Well, and Carson Palmer too, hi Carson, sorry about the playoff exits.

The end of the NFL would have a larger impact on baseball than soccer in the short term unless there is a drastic change in the finances. Long term, soccer might become as popular here as football is now, but I'd think it would take as least two generations for that to happen(and baseball would still be going strong). Soccer is safer than football and hockey, but baseball and basketball will always be safer as far as head injuries are concerned.

I.e., at least half of them are white.

Actually because they are wheelchair-bound, and cant stand  (I actually didn't notice there were that many whites until you mentioned it (4 of the 5 black players are in the front whether randomly or by design and I only glanced at it last night)

To this day, my father refers to baseball as "18 minutes of action crammed into three hours of boredom".

And he was a star baseball player in high school.

I actually sometimes agree now that hitters actually seem to enjoy striking out.  (still 17 1/2 minutes more than soccer, and football when you consider all the time between plays might not get much more than 18 minutes, and 3 hours gets you to 12 minutes left in the 4th.  Baseball averages 3 hours, the last time I saw a 1 pm game end at 4, or 4 pm at 7 was the late 1990s)

Basketball probably does provide the most excitement per minute, assuming, (and even possibly including considering the other sports weaknesses) someone going Hack-a-bad shooting center crazy.

Note: Actually, what eats up time in football, "hey, we scored a TD, lets go to break, come back for kickoff, usually a touchback since we moved the line up, and go back to commercial again.

Basketball probably does provide the most excitement per minute, assuming, (and even possibly including considering the other sports weaknesses) someone going Hack-a-bad shooting center crazy.

For action per minute, I'll take ice hockey. Those guys are constantly moving. They don't even stop play to substitute players.

That could work, though I never got to see hockey in my youth being from the south.

JUst that football action can be overrated, because it is 5-6 seconds of action followed by 30 minutes of standing around and prep for the next play.  And that when that is taken into place it want be much more than baseball, like or hate either sport.

Note: When I think about it, one thing that does reduce "action" and make soccer boring are the fact that the fields seem to be bigger than some historic battlefields (maybe not really, but they do seem huge and things get spaced out to a ridiculous degree)

Edit: I don't think the dimensions are supposed to be much bigger than football, but in football the players will be clustered together, so the action does look more like action, instead of one guy kicking the ball down the field with 1-2 guys chasing him, as soccer seems to do so much.

Chris Hogan will start today for the Browns.  That's 28 different men to start a football game at QB for the Browns since their 1999 restart, and 33 QBs since 1993 (which includes the 3 year hiatus when they were inactive).

By contrast the Green Bay Packers have had 5 men start at QB since 1993, and that number would be 2 if it wasn't for Aaron Rodger's broken collarbone in 2013.

Chris Hogan will start today for the Browns.  That's 28 different men to start a football game at QB for the Browns since their 1999 restart, and 33 QBs since 1993 (which includes the 3 year hiatus when they were inactive).

By contrast the Green Bay Packers have had 5 men start at QB since 1993, and that number would be 2 if it wasn't for Aaron Rodger's broken collarbone in 2013.

Thanks for jinxing that, you bastard! :tonguewav  :tonguewav  :tonguewav

Or 2017