A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Movie Recommendation:

Walking on Water (2004). Israeli, in Hebrew, can be found with English subtitles.

Its edgy and hard to watch, but its very well done and doesn't flinch from some hard contemporary issues. I normally avoid Israeli cinema ('cause it usually sucks), but this was an exception.

Guest Skaramine

From another thread.

Skaramine' date=' not just a good writer but one who encourages others - so many professionals are jerks to those trying to get in, it's good to see someone helping others.[/quote']

Well... I can be a jerk. Just not about people's dreams of getting into writing.

Guest Worldmaker

I just repped someone. I then hit refresh to see if anyone had added to the thread. No one had, but I noticed something interesting: my repping the person in question visibly increased their rep. Never noticed it happen before.

I'm adjusting to third shifts faster than I thought I would. I was expecting to be feeling very tired come 5:00 AM and having a hard time going to bed once I get home. I am having neither problem. I'm hoping to get myself doing better about doing projects while at work. That I expect to take some time but tonight I'm already making progress on one of them.

From "War in the Pacific" : "Emporer Hirohito said that the military concentrated to much on the spirit and not enough on science."

I wonder if this didn't effect the rise of high tech in Japan after the war?

STRANGE “Art†QUOTES

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling itâ€.~ Frank Zappa

“Every artist was first an amateur.â€~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

*â€To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.â€~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

â€Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.â€~ Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle

Guest Worldmaker

The first "really cool" moment in the Return of the King, at least for me, is the lighting of the beacons, going all the way to Aragorn's "The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!" and Theoden's "And Rohan will answer! Muster the Rohirrim!" in response.

Guest Worldmaker

The second really cool moment in Return of the King: "Get away from him, you filth!"

My raisins were a slightly different shade of purple today. And they tasted less sweet. They also weren't as sticky as they usually are.

I checked the label, in case they'd reformulated to add less sugar, or something.

Ingredients: Raisins

Well, that clears THAT up. :think:

OUCH!

My ears!

(First Wednesday of the month, noon -- time to test the storm warning sirens. I think they must have recently put a new one in next door to my apartment building, because I've never heard them be that loud before! Even with my hands over my ears, my teeth were literally buzzing against each other, like nails on chalkboard...inside my own head!!!!)

Some of you may have noticed that the board has seemed to be missing a ceryain something going into and coming out of the weekend but that now everything seems alright.

But what ailed the board. Simple. A CLOT.

Catastrophic

Lack (or Loss)

Of

Tribble.

Weep and wail no more my devoted followers. I have returned to bring misery and suffering to all.

Guest Worldmaker

Of course, the third really cool moment is the coolest. When Eowen gets between the Nazgul and his prey.

Not even "Legolas takes down the behemoth", the fourth moment, is as cool as the third.

Guest Skaramine

Well... looks like I might get a night job, package handling for UPS. Next tuesday is my interview.

Reason Magazine, June 2005:

"When psychiatrist Frederic Wertham began his crusade against comic books, EC was one of his targets. Wertham was a leftist heavily influenced heavily by Frankfurt School Marxism and by Theodor Adorno in particular. Comics were the product of mechanistic, capitalist production, he argued, and could therefore affect children's minds mechanistically. Confusing anecdote with data, he argued that all of the juvenile delinquents he studied read comics, and that comics therefore were responsible for their delinquency. Horror comics, he felt, were especially insidious."

http://www.instapundit.com:

"One of Limbaugh's charms is his complete inability to pose as a convincing social conservative. ... Limbaugh makes a poor defender of traditional marriage, but he gave it the old college try."

I think that this is a compliment from the libertarian standpoint, but it's hard to say. :D

JG