A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I'm contemplating a campaign for my kids. The realization that I can use lots of puns, and obscure references that will be totally over their heads for years, increases my interest. My wife will wince and punish me after the fact, but....

Fun trip. Too bad we didn't get many cats adopted out, but I think the weather was a bit cold for the Farmer's Market. (We had a heater for the cats, so they were fine.) I got to learn how to do these things and will probably be doing another soon enough. Though probably one of the indoor ones.

"It's indeed deeply disturbing to learn that higher gas prices have held down demand, causing those prices to fall back to a level at which demand begins to rise again! It's almost as if some insidious law was at work--as prices rise, demand declines! As supply increases, prices fall! You can't win!"

http://www.slate.com/id/2131180/

[emphasis in the original] :D

One year at Christmas my mom went to my sister's house for the traditional feast.

Knowing how gullible my sister is, my mom decided to play a trick. She told my sister that she needed something from the store.

When my sister left, my mom took the turkey out of the oven, removed the stuffing, stuffed a Cornish hen, and inserted it into the turkey, and re-stuffed the turkey. She then placed the bird(s) back in the oven.

When it was time for dinner, my sister pulled the turkey out of the oven and proceeded to remove the stuffing. When her serving spoon hit something, she reached in and pulled out the little bird.

With a look of total shock on her face, my mother exclaimed, "Patricia, you've cooked a pregnant bird!" At the reality of this horrifying news, my sister started to cry.

It took the family two hours to convince her that turkeys lay eggs!

Yes, SHE WAS BLONDE!

I have friend who is an engineer, who named his cat Sproket. The cat is just about a year old now, still very full of energy, and is really bright. When he's presented with something that's an obstacle to what he wants to do, you can see the gears turning in his head as he sits and stares at the source of the problem...

Well, he's figured out the answer to one "problem" that nobody but him thought was a problem. He's discovered that if he crawls under the nightstand and manages to work the plug for the alarm clock out of the socket, then 'Dad' doesn't get up early in the morning, go off, and leave him alone! :eek:

you know when you get a cold, you start with sniffles and maybe a sore throat. Persists for a day or two before really laying into you.

Today I woke up with one that had immediately skipped to "feel like i've been beaten with 2x4s for a couple days" stage. oof.

Some WARNING would have been nice.

It's 17º outside, 61º inside, so I finally yielded and turned on the heat for the first time this season just a few minutes ago. (It's been mild enough so far through October & November that I haven't really needed the heat, so from a conservation standpoint it made sense to not turn it on. Four days into December, though, and I had to give in.)

Now I get to 'enjoy' the smell of scorching dust for a couple of days until it all gets blown out of the system. :straight:

"The whole school reform movement is a misdirection, so people talk about items that have little or no importance. Then they line up in some oppositional way, and after some span of a few years, everything is brought back in exactly the same form. But if you started with the premise that human genius is so widely distributed and so easy to access that it costs the taxpayers not a goddamn cent to do it, you would unthread the social and economic structure of this country."

-John Taylor Gatto, Reason Magazine, December 2005

I had one of the best days of the year on Saturday. Aside from meeting a fellow poster from another board, I got presents for my birthday and early Christmas presents from friends. So now I have Terry Pratchett's Thud !, Sin City and Kingdom of Heaven on DVD and a Goodman Games module.

Played Judge Dredd and a new game called Shadows over Camelot.

Went out and had a meal with some of the friends. I had Eggs Benedict which was glorious.

And finally got Bleak House with the BBC cast cover as well as Knife of Dreams.

I really felt good which is a refreshing change.

Top Gear had Ellen Macarthur the British Round the World yachtswoman on their show yesterday. They do a feature Star in a Reasonably Priced Car where they send said star around a race course and time the lap. Ellen was very eager to keep on going and get that one perfect lap. They had to turn her down.

Mainly because she set the new record and is now the fastest person they have had on the track. It was really very pleasing as the presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been trying to get her on the show for some time.

'The thought that certain people might spawn leads me to the irrational desire to destroy the world so that they cannot succeed. It's the only way to be sure'

- Death Tribble

The Celebrity Deathmatch we all want to see. For Real.

Paris Hilton vs Nicole Richie

The winner meets Mike Tyson.......

'If someone you love be they family member, friend or object of adoration like a sports star, supermodel, actor or actress is insulted, then it is perfectly reasonable to bludgeon their defamer with a blunt object regardless of any extenuating circumstance like the defamer being the head of state of the world's lone superpower.'

- Death Tribble

Without You - Nilsson

No, I can't forget this evening

Or your face as you were leaving

But I guess that's just the way the story goes

You always smile but in your eyes your sorrow shows

Yes, it shows

No, I can't forget tomorrow

When I think of all my sorrow

When I had you there but then I let you go

And now it's only fair that I should let you know

What you should know

I can't live if living is without you

I can't live, I can't give any more

I can't give, I can't give any more

No, I can't forget this evening

Or your face as you were leaving

But I guess that's just the way the story goes

You always smile but in your eyes your sorrow shows

Yes, it shows

I can't live, I can't give anymore

I can't live, I can't give anymore

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Why does it always rain on me ? - Travis

I can’t sleep tonight

Everybody saying everything’s alright

Still I can’t close my eyes

I’m seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights

Sunny days

Where have you gone?

I get the strangest feeling you belong

Why does it always rain on me?

Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?

Even when the sun is shining

I can’t avoid the lightning

I can’t stand myself

I’m being held up by invisible men

Still life on a shelf when

I got my mind on something else

Sunny days

Where have you gone?

Oh, where did the blue skies go?

And why is it raining so?

It’s so cold

I can’t sleep tonight

Everybody saying everything’s alright

Still I can’t close my eyes

I’m seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights

Sunny days

Where have you gone?

Oh, where did the blue skies go?

And why is it raining so?

It’s so cold

Why does it always rain...