A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I made some neat stuff in Glass Fusing class, but my digital camera broke, so I can't post pictures! :(

One is kind of a decorative bowl, it looks really neat with light behind it.

I was experimenting with something, and managed to put an image of the "Serenity" and a tattoo style dragon fly inside a piece of glass that has a kind of opalescent effect.

My little brother just called me from Seattle. He works at some of the Seahawks games (concessions, I think he's also back up mascot should the regular guy not be ablt to do it)

He was so excited and I could barely hear him but I thnk he told me he met the Drummer from YES.

It was nice to hear from him. He sounded so excited.

I miss my brother. And he's only 4 hours away.

Soft Gingerbread

Gingerbread flavor with a soft cakelike texture. Comes out so dark it looks like chocolate (and occasionally draws a strong negative reaction when someone bites into it expecting chocolate).

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup molasses (the blacker the better :))

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour milk (*)

1 1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon cinnamon

* If you don't have sour milk, buttermilk serves just fine. You can also make sour milk by adding white or cider vinegar to milk (proportion 1 Tablespoon vinegar to 1 Cup milk), stir, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes).

Preheat oven to 375F (350F glass pans). Mix sugar, molasses, shortening. Stir in salt, eggs, and milk. Add flour, soda, spices, mix until smooth.

Pour batter into greased pan. Bake 30 min at 375F (8-by-8 inch metal pan; 50-55 min at 350F in a glass loaf pan). Test with toothpick (it's done when the pick comes out clean). Turn out of pan onto a rack to cool.

Very good served warm, with whipped cream.

(We usually double the recipe and make two loaves. This is an old familiy recipe, from my great-grandmother, traditional holiday fare at our house, but it's a yummy way to use up milk that's gone sour anytime.)

Valiant will be released on DVD this month. It's an animated movie about pigeons in WWII. ( I think )

My Sister's fiancee worked on it for the London Based Studio, so's I am buying it to see if his name hits the credits. Miles...hmmm. I've forgotten his last name...

I'll get the name and post it. The movie looks cute, and it's got a pretty good cast.

My friends readily admit they're not raising a baby, they're raising a cub.

He likes to chew on things, thanks to teething. One of his favorite things to chew on is his mother's slipper. He'd chew shoes, but those are filthy.

One of his favorite toys is a frisbee almost as big as he is.

And when they first gave him his stuffed caterpillar toy, he bit down on it, wrapped around it, and rolled around on the floor making growly noises.

Also, he's growing faster than even most babies do at 6 months. He's above the 95th percentile for his height.

And watching Josh play with the little sprout made me realize what a great dad he's going to make someday.

I have enjoyed watching King Kong all my life. It became one of my all-time favorites when, as a teenager, I dozed in front of my b&w TV and woke to the angelic vision of Fay Wray.

Tonight I'm catching a midnight show of the new three-hour version, even though I must get my kids off to school and myself off to work just a few hours after the credits roll. And all I can think about is how much Naomi Watts reminds me of Fay Wray.

Who says you can never go back? :)

I have well and truly passed the Dykenamic Duo on the rep list. It took me just over a year, and I didn't have to flirt with anyone or post pr0n pictures. I also didn't contribute much of value, as my Centennial Master post-count level indicates. Just goes to prove, Rep is meaningless.

So...

I got a call at work from the woman my father left my mother for. It seems that my sister (whose wedding I attended in London, in March) has been having an affair with a co-worker.

Her mother wanted me to contact my father to talk to herabout it.

so if you are keeping score at home

this is a family of cheaters.

I am unwell.

Man, if you google for solutions of the electric (or gravitational) field around a torus, you find a bunch of seriously weird s**t.

The problem with the Web is not only can anyone put anything out there, they do.

Guess I have to do the damned integrals myself. Grumble.