A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Slightly unusual things about Japan:

It's very hard to find a trash can.

It's also very hard to find soda that isn't classic coke.

Some coffee shops and restaurants have a little pushbutton at the table that, when pressed, summons the waitress. She will probably get there damn fast.

Other dining establishments have a vending machine out front where you choose what you want to eat, feed it the money, and it gives you a ticket that you then give to the waitress once you're seated. I guess it saves them having to handle cash.

When buying stuff at a store, it's a common practice to not hand your cash or credit card directly to the cashier (and vice versa), but to put it in a little tray whose sole purpose is to hold the cash/card for a nanosecond, reducing the possibility that you might actually touch the other person's hand.

Those hole-in-the-ground toilets are not that hard to use. Even for chicks.

'If you love someone then set them free is not the issue. The issue is what were you doing keeping them imprisoned in the first place ? I mean they have to wear those awful uniforms, have restricted visiting rights and have only a small room to live and sleep in. So what sort of lover are you if you do that to the one you love ?'

- Death Tribble

Up at the crack of dawn this morning to take Maddy to school. She doesn't like me taking her to school normally, because it's embarrassing, what with me driving her in the Mini, but today, Mary in Italy with Holly and my assistant Lorraine taking Lisa Snellings to the airport, I crawled out into the grey world and took her to school. Wearing a thick dressing gown and big slippers, because I wasn't getting dressed at that time in the morning for anyone. It was strangely poetic that the passenger door decided to freeze shut (it was minus 2 F), meaning that Maddy had the entire journey to school to confront the dread embarrassment of the idea that, on arrival at school, I would get out of the car in dressing gown and slippers and then she'd have to get out on my side. We negotiated, and instead of dropping her off outside the school, I found a discreet spot in the car-park, and she slipped out there, pretending as hard as she could that she didn't know me.

There's something really comforting about the thought that even Neil Gaiman's daughter pretends she doesn't know him when he drops her off at school. ^ v ^