A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I don't think I've been angrier over a political story or possibly ever - which is especially ironic as I KNEW this was going to happen and it's why I opposed the war in the first place.

Murtha's declaration is the greatest example of a so-called superpower that, like England in the 20th century, has given up on itself, has no will to lead, and will, geopolitically speaking, deserve a punishing bruising by a world with hungrier nations. Because it is an unmitigated act of emotion and/or such raw opportunism it is beneath contempt. Because there is no way that Murtha, like 90% of his colleagues, didn't know that the purpose of going into Iraq had little to do with WMDs, and even if it did he, like the others, knew that this created a COMMITMENT regardless of the going-in intent. But of course, it's easier to run away, to retreat, to tell the Iraqis "good luck, losers, boy you were stupid if you thought we gave even half a damn about you" and move on. And Murtha's excuse of "our poor troops" for not being adequately cared for is particularly anathema, as IF that is the problem, then THAT is the solution, to dictate greater expenditure and resources on the problem; and his other "they have become a target" is something I cannot believe he isn't laughing inside when he says it. They f**King WENT there to BE targets, and to REMAIN targets, EVERY DAMN PERSON KNEW THAT. EVERY DAMN PERSON OF MINOR INTELLIGENCE KNEW THAT THIS WOULD INVOLVE ONGOING ATTRITION. It was BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS, because THERE WAS AND IS NO OTHER WAY, this is the MIDDLE EAST. And while there of course have been casualties and such, I don't see how anyone can say those casualties have been greater than expected - unless their expectations were in la-la land and absurd.

Congress has so thoroughly abdicated its role in this system, from the budget where it nods to sitting presidents to wars where it lies back and gives permission then says "oh we didn't mean it, you misled us!" in an obvious ploy. The reality is, Congress had the knowledge and responsibility to not allow the war, and very little, if anything, has changed since then.

Even my wife, a mostly-liberal adamant-Bush-hater, is appalled at the political games by the dems (she's not singling them out, she hates the reps, too). She finds it appalling that they just want to concentrate on blame-laying and not on how to leave Iraq in a meaningful way that secures the future of the Iraqi people.

However, I did read Murtha's whole speech, and I can see his reasoning in that he is frustrated with a White House that won't do the right steps to really move this along, he doesn't feel he can advocate greater expenditure based on the budgetary mood/tax cuts, and he's seen the damage to the soldiers. Sure, I can see that. However, his comments again do betray that when he supported the war he was either a liar or a fool, as it was pretty obvious that it would be extremely difficult to manage this occupation and that the troops would be targets ongoing. And while he's welcome to value his beloved brothers in arms, valuing them more than the Iraqi people whom we made a serious commitment to and more than the American public which will suffer even more greatly is ultimately, even if unintentionally, traitorous.

I suppose there's something to be said for admitting we "can't" do it "because of Bush", but it would seem to me then that instead of jumping to this action which would obviously cause a big deal in the media, particularly with its clearly opportunistic (not necessarily in a bad way, though, on this account) timing, one would be getting the media exposure to say THAT and to then come up with a PLAN very publicly to fix it and to try to force the administration into doing so. Yes, he did try this, as he cites, in terms of having complained and tried to influence the administration through political pressure, but why not make that the focus of a big media event? It's only 2005, we only invaded a few years ago. It hasn't been even 10 years of occupation yet and we haven't even lost 10,000 troops yet, both of which were clearly absolute minimum bars of tolerance it would seem to me.

Then again, I'm less qualified than an overly-emotional veteran attached to his Vietnam experiences... :rolleyes:

"our troops are the enemy, they're the targets. When I went to Anbar province, General Huck said to me, you know, the thing that's so discouraging, we got all this armor and everything, and the snipers are shooting right below the helmets. They're blowing the turrets off tanks, no matter how much armor that we put out there. We're the targets. We're uniting the enemy against us! And there's terrorism all over the world that there wasn't before we went into Iraq. " - Murtha -

What, he couldn't see that coming a few years ago? What sort of moron is this? What did he think? Did he really believe that in a few short years that more than 20% of the Iraqis would want us to stay? What is this? Is he a child?

Either this is just pure political lying and pandering or he is an absolute idiot. From reading his comments, could be either.

This is the first time I've ever heard of an "air stagnation warning" which apparently has nothing to do with pollution and is a natural weather condition. I'm tired of hearing of new inventions to be worried about. Although I guess somebody knows what to do when air stagnation strikes.

***** ***** ***** moan moan moan whine whine whine.

PS - sheesh I wish I'd shut up!

It's been an odd week. Some lamo tried to walk out of a building with a cat to introduce to his rot/pit mix.

A) We have people to test cat/dog mixing in a safe enviroment. Not the back of your Subarban with no plates.

B) We have an adoption policy. We like to make sure that you'd provide a good home.

C) Maybe it would be a good idea to double check if the cat needs frequent medical procedures.

Thankfully a coworker spotted the cat under the guys shirt and retrieved the cat.

Several of us had seen the guy earlier in the day. I thought he looked familiar. Not sure why.

That night I get home. Two parking spaces over, white Subarban, no plates. Great, I live next to the cat-napper.

The sherrif did have a talk with the guy and the message that he was not be found on the sanctuary grounds ever again was delivered. The next day, the guy is gone. Interesting, though there's still stuff in the studio.

it did get us to look for another place to rent while we build on our property though. That and the other neighbor's new boyfriend just got out of prison for child molestation. Apparently, I do live in the bad part of town. :doi:

http://www.andrewsullivan.com

"EAGLES AND REPUBLICANS: In theory, it should be possible for a Republican to be both socially moderate, fiscally conservative, and dedicated to the fight against Islamo-fascism. That's, broadly speaking, my position. But one reason I feel no real connection to today's GOP is that there are almost no people in that position in the party as it now stands. The most reliable fiscal conservative, Tom Coburn, is a rabid gay-hater and a theocon. It's simply a fact that, as a RedState blogger points out, not a single Republican Senator who opposed the Federal Marriage Amendment voted for the Coburn Amendment, and not a single Republican Senator who co-sponsored the latest stem cell research bill voted for the Coburn Amendment. The kind of conservatism I believe in no longer really exists in the Congress of the United States. You have to go to Britain to find it, or back a couple of decades before the Southern fundamentalists took over the GOP entirely. McCain is the best we've got, and God bless him. But it's also undeniable that he has deep suspicions of economic freedom, and often sees the need for government to intervene in all sorts of areas - steroids in sports, for example, - where government, in my view, has no role whatever. Does that mean that social inclusives and fiscal conservatives should despair? I hope not. There are glimmers of hope among fiscally conservative Democrats. A McCain-led GOP would be vastly preferable to a Bush-led one. But these are dark days for individual freedom and fiscal sanity in America, and it's no use pretending otherwise."

http://www.radioblogger.com/#001170

(Hugh Hewitt):Now Mark Steyn, I want to finish by going back to the Senate. Specifically, majority leader Frist, who...I woke up this morning, saw the first AP story...the GOP controlled Senate's first priority, according to Bill Frist, in January, will be an asbestos bill. Now Mark Steyn, are they utterly out of touch with where the country is right now? I think we should be debating and not dodging the war. We ought to be digging deep, as opposed to ducking.

MS: Well, I would be in favor of wrapping virtually every Republican Senator in asbestos, and using them to insulate my attic. I think that would be a more useful deployment of them, than what they're doing in the United States Senate. That is simply the most absurd, irrelevant, minimalist approach to governing that I've heard. You know, the trouble is...it reminds me of something that I think Norman Lamont, when he was chancellor of the exchequer, said in Britain about ten years ago, that he said that the conservative party, he said then, is in office, but not in power. And that's what these guys give the appearance of. They're in office, but they're not in power. And who needs to elect these people for asbestos legislation?

Nice to know that my instinct for picking up movie scores "sound-unheard" (i.e. I didn't see the movie) is still good.

Stealth - The Original Motion Picture Score kicks butt.

(NOT the "Music from and inspired by" SOUNDTRACK, mind you)

Kinda makes me think Conan: the Techno-dance/Industrial/Goth Opera.

With some tribal, middle- and far-eastern flavors thrown in here and there.

Sorry if I got soda on your screen. :P

More oddness today, though more in the good way. A volunteer that I was working for a couple days used to work with one of my old customers. Not so odd really.

Today, this woman comes up to me and says hi. She's the woman that bought the house I grew up in from my mom.

It's a small world... cue song stuck in head.

So I had to go into court on a subpoena for a drunk driving case I witnessed, only to find out the court has been moved to new buildings two blocks south.

And when I get there, there's a line from the door down 200 feet to the metal detectors, because now they want us to take off our belts in addition to emptying our pockets.

What's left for us to justify in the name of "security"? Most terrorists these days are Muslim; are we supposed to drop our pants to prove we're not circumcised?

JG