A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

My Origin nomination for Worst 3.5 book: Complete Divine.

Complete LG Cleric/Paladin is more like it. Complete cut and paste from previous products, perhaps. Complete Defenders of the Faith? Complete Typo? I got it, Complete Disaster.

WotC needs to hire some real editors, or get a proofreading staff quick. It's almost as bad as a classic white wolf product (see page XX). And, hey, dumbasses a Kukri isn't an Exotic Weapon anymore.

Sigh. I was stoked for this book based on how much I loved Complete Warrior.

Complete Divine is nothing more than a piss poor 3.5 upgrade version of Defenders of the Faith, with some stuff about Relics and a few spells chucked in for new content.

D

Nobody talks to me.

I didn't find out that two people in my office were retiring until after the rest of the office had set a date for their farewell luncheon. And the date they set was on my day off.

I find out I've been assigned work when my supervisor comes over and asks me if I've finished it yet.

Kee tells people that we'll be somewhere, but never tells me about the event until it's time to go.

I have an excellent memory. I'm not forgetting these things. But no one tells me anything.

If people don't like talking to me, why do they choose to associate with me at all?

Doc

You can tell it is Spring when you hear the first Cuckoo.

And we have the same here. The cuckoo being Seenar and his thread about the Democrats wanting the terrorists to win.

While I can respect that other people will have different political beliefs this is beyond my tolerance.

As I come up the stairs of the WTC PATH station and hit the street, I'm greeted by a thousand uniformed NYPD officers gathering for a drill of some kind. They even had a squad of those paramilitary guys with the machineguns.

I'll never get used to that.

For all my whining about Comcast Cable, I will have to say that my latest experience with their support was fabulous.

Me: Called them, complained about my cable modem

Them: They go Ok. The earliest we can swap out your modem is tomorrow afternoon.

Me: Um Ok thinking (don't you want to haggle?)

Next day, the installer comes out, swaps my modem and after struggling with my network for a bit (I did have to help there), he registered the thing at comcast.

I was up and running.

Finally - HOOORAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I have been unhappy for several months over the recording sessions our ensemble did in November. They were...okay. Just okay. Which isn't so great. Others seemed more enthused but it seemed to me not thrilled, though then again perhaps I was just a downer. Still, I wasn't really saying anything as I didn't want to be too much of a downer, plus with work being insane I wanted to be careful about misdirecting any misery.

But this has weighed heavily. Extremely depressing creatively, at least musically.

But tonight one of the guys, the one who didn't get a chance to participate in November, came by and we worked on his open-ended dub on it as we planned.

And oh wow, good good good. It fixed it, as I hoped. You see, he's an essential ingredient in the music, just as some others of us are. Or at least to me anyway. Killer stuff. Cohering this part of it. There are 3 other parts but now I know it will fall into place as we proceed from here.

Hallelujah. Halle-friggin-lujah, this is a HUGE relief.

I quit the taxi driver job this week.

One of the several security posts I had previously applied for (months ago, before the taxi company hired me) called back with an opening. I took it. The supervisor is one of the nicer people I've ever met, and the gated community we're serving couldn't be more laid back.

Thing is, with the cab job, I got tips, but since I was working day shift, these were generally in the $30-40 range- pretty good, but not as good as night could be. More importantly, I was still obliged to pay for gas. And 20 cents a far to the state Taxicab Authority. And various other fees that were NOT assessed on the pay stub. Such that, even though on paper we're supposed to be getting 50% commission on the fares, I could gross over $1600 a pay period for the company and end up with less than $400 a check after they took the 50% commission and applied creative accounting techniques to THAT.

With tips, I was getting marginally better than the money I was making at unarmed security working 40 hours a week for $7 an hour. Before the gated community called for the security post, I had considered just going to another cab company to see if the commission was better.

More importantly, though, I just got sick of working 55+ hours a week and not getting any sleep cause I had to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to work til 3:30 in the afternoon. Again, for a commission that ended up being equal to or less than what I was getting on a mediocre hourly wage.

At least this way I'll have enough time to write adventures for a Fantasy HERO game. :)

JG

I went and saw Van Helsing today. As movies go it was overall enjoyable. A few horror scenes freaked me out big time :( but I'll like to see it again someday. I did think Mummy was better as it was new and original -- VH being a "Victorian Mummy". As others have stated plot was thin but that didn't distract from the movie IMHO.

spolier: I though Frankenstein's monster being religious was a nice touch, ditto with VH's D&D paladin-like abilities: "This thing... man... whatever it is... evil may have created it, left its mark on it... but evil does not rule it. So I cannot kill it."

Probably the most enjoyable part of the movie was the end with the credits rolling by. I was standing about halfway in the cinema between the screen wall with the projector and the music was just phenomenal! A shear delight! :smilie expressing exclaimation point:

EDIT/PS: I liked the "James Bond" scene.

Guest Worldmaker

As the President is getting off the helicopter in front of the White House, he has a baby pig under each arm.

The Marine guard snaps to attention, salutes, and says "Nice pigs, sir!"

The President replies: "These are not pigs, these are authentic Texas razorback hogs. I got one for Vice President Cheney, and I got one for Defense Secretary Rumsfeld."

The Marine again snaps to attention, salutes, and replies, "Nice trade, sir!"

Cute. :)

As the President is getting off the helicopter in front of the White House, he has a baby pig under each arm.

The Marine guard snaps to attention, salutes, and says "Nice pigs, sir!"

The President replies: "These are not pigs, these are authentic Texas razorback hogs. I got one for Vice President Cheney, and I got one for Defense Secretary Rumsfeld."

The Marine again snaps to attention, salutes, and replies, "Nice trade, sir!"

Cute. :)

Random musing - it's interesting how easy it is to accidentally reply in the Random Musing thread instead of using the Musings About Random Musings Thread. I've seen this happen on occassion. Even experienced people do it. I know I did it at least once, I think twice actually.

Oh was that not random? ;)

Okay, well here's one just to ensure I honor the thread - I really like overcast-but-not-raining weather when it's windy. I prefer it to be on the warm side, and I don't like it it's wintery-cold, but I do like this weather. Ominous, foreboding, cool! Someone told me that means I am inclined to believe in the role of fate in shaping things. I dunno about that.

Guest Worldmaker

I think I've got it figured.

Lack of feedback either means that:

1. Everything's going well, so no one feels the need to comment.

2. Everything's going badly, so no one feels its worth the time to comment.

3. Everyone is ignoring it.

Of course, I feel silly actually wanting to get feedback.