2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

No.  The TD was legit.  The rule's been 1 knee is enough for ages.  The Cowboy receiver made a great grab and did get one knee down.

What I noted was poor play by the Giants after the kickoff.  Either poor playcalling...like the rollout cutting down options...or poor decision making by Eli.  He tried to fit it into a couple spots where there was nothing there.

I'm suprised, a bit, that I'm getting Ravens-Browns, rather than Denver.  I guess Houston was the regional game choice, and Ravens-Browns is the national choice.  Nantz and Romo are on the call, which supports this is CBS' #1 game this week.  (Other game is Vikes-Skins...important enough but IMO they both deserve to lose.)

I just know Cole Beasley catching that pass was somehow Eli's fault.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

My dad and me watched the Jags-Texans.  Mainly, because my dad is such a level of Cowboy hater he couldn't bear to watch them win (ironically we watched the last 2 minutes, which was probably why the Cowboys won).

Anyway, Jags-Texans game, we were wondering:  when ahead 20-3 in the 4th quarter when your opponent cant get 2 first downs in a possession.  Why the hell was Watson still in the game, let alone running with the ball?  Did they want to risk him getting hurt for nothing?

Absolutely all your fault.  I'm sure Cancer will agree.  Simple variation on announcer jinx, which I dub the gloater's jinx.

I was thinking the same thing with the Texans.  Why???  And the Pats had their game in the bag too.  Fine, KC hadn't started but come on, the Raiders beat them in KC?  

20 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Seattle win on a FG as time expires, despite a game of horrible offensive line play.

Cleveland turn it over with a minute left, preserving the Ravens' victory, and all but keeping the Steelers from backing into the playoffs: they need a tie in the Colts-Titans game to squeak in now.

Umm, horrible offensive line play is what Seattle does.

Here in Seattle we are connoisseurs of bad OL play.  Today was especially bad.  So bad we almost cost the worst team in the league their #1 pick bad.  Suck green slimy rocks from the bottom of the cesspool through 15 feet of used catheter tubing bad.  Badder than the front part of badger bad.  So bad that if bad was fat we'd be a freight train full of bacon grease fatter than a whole Lard Zepplin on a barfway to hog heaven bad.

20 minutes ago, Cancer said:

"Why do the Titans have someone stab their logo to start games?"

"Probably to commemorate that time they got thrown out of Jotunheim."

"Ah, I should have guessed."

I thought it was because they wanted someone to put them out of their misery, but since they're Promethean, the sheer torture will never end....

Just a passing thought as I watch Adoree Jackson try to slam a knife into Titans' fans chest with a transcendently STUPID special teams play...

I don't want to see it, but it would be totally fitting if Colts-Titans did end in a tie.  Ludicrous end to a generally ludicrous season.

And Indy gives it right back.  Sigh....  So hard to find good help these days.....

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Here in Seattle we are connoisseurs of bad OL play.  Today was especially bad.  So bad we almost cost the worst team in the league their #1 pick bad.  Suck green slimy rocks from the bottom of the cesspool through 15 feet of used catheter tubing bad.  Badder than the front part of badger bad.  So bad that if bad was fat we'd be a freight train full of bacon grease fatter than a whole Lard Zepplin on a barfway to hog heaven bad.

And we know what they wont be drafting at any point in the first 3 rounds also.  Because God forbid you fix your biggest weakness.

28 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Just a passing thought as I watch Adoree Jackson try to slam a knife into Titans' fans chest with a transcendently STUPID special teams play...

I don't want to see it, but it would be totally fitting if Colts-Titans did end in a tie.  Ludicrous end to a generally ludicrous season.

And Indy gives it right back.  Sigh....  So hard to find good help these days.....

Well, Pitt desperately wants that tie.  (which means I don't care who wins as long as it is not a tie)

Note:  Although, the pundits will spend the offseason blaming the ills of Pitt's season on not signing Le'Veon.  Despite Conner being as good a runner (albeit not as durable maybe, and not the receiver Bell is).  And even though, bigger problems include horrible locker room presences, lack of responsible leadership when it counts, the defense folding like a cheap lawn chair when it counts.  Having a clumsy kicker.  And irrationally obsessive-compulsive desire to play down to the competition.  And 2 or 3 other reasons, I cant think of.  (not to mention Bell's presence would be yet another locker room cancer on a team probably leading the league in such, hell the drama of will he or wont he from him added half a locker room cancer in itself).

No real surprises today except maybe Philly squeaking past the Vikings into the playoffs.  I wonder what happened to the Vikings to cause the wheels to come off midseason.

Arizona locks up the #1 pick.

Mayfield sets a record for rookie TDs, breaking the previous mark held by Manning and Wilson... in only 13 games.

Mahomes sets a record for fantasy points scored in a season.

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

As much as I hate to say it, my favorite from the AFC at this point is Kansas City. This is strictly because of Andy Reid. He's a Lavell Edwards guy, and I can root for him for that fact.

I don't care much one way or another about Reid.  But, Mahomes is fun to watch (and I remember watching his dad back in the day on TV in baseball)

So, the Vance Joseph era in Denver is over after only two years. John Elway now searches for the fourth head coach of his eight-year tenure as general manager.

Vance Joseph certainly was not a great coach, but the problems in the Broncos organization aren't going to be fixed just by firing him. Ownership is a mess, John Elway can't seem to identify good talent in the draft, and the team still has no quarterback to speak of. As strange as it seems after two consecutive losing seasons for the first time since the early 70s, things may get worse before they get better.

On the other hand, Phillip Lindsay and Courtland Sutton both had great seasons as rookies. If the team can keep them around and keep them productive, it'll be good for the future.

Ouch.  Unhappy New Year for many.  Cards, Fins, Broncs, and finally Bengals.  

No reason to think the Broncos are going anywhere as long as Elway is GM, but moving past him will be extremely tough just due to his position in team history.  Yes, I think it likely things will get notably worse short-term for them. 

Bortles will have a job but as a backup.  Be interesting to see where Flacco lands, because his contract is not cheap.  It was back-loaded.  Also, he's 33.  Certainly got years left but do you want his package?  Getting older, very much a mixed bag on the field, big cap hits.  I can actually see him replacing Bortles.  But, Mahomes, Mayfield, and now Lamar Jackson will likely trigger a push to younger, mobile, but hopefully *thinking* QBs with a good head for the passing game to go along with excellent mobility.  It'll also be interesting to see if a transition away from the classic pro QB leads to a shift to younger head coaches (McVay) and less recycling of the same old, same old mediocrity (Marvin Lewis).