Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I mean, there's been 3 different actors playing Spider-Man in the last dozen years, and people sort of shrug at that, I doubt they'd throw a fit if suddenly Iron Man was played by some other actor. 

The difference is that the first two Spideys weren't part of a decade-long cinematic franchise with unprecedented levels of continuity sharing between films, televisions shows, and video games. There was no ongoing continuity to preserve at Sony, so audiences never gave it a second thought when each Spider-Man reboot started anew (with a different actor). With the (rare) exception of Banner and Rhodey, both of whom only appeared in one movie before having the portraying actor replaced, each MCU character has been depicted by only one actor, and I am pretty confident that Feige intends to keep it that way.

I obviously don't know Feige's mind, but I think there is a difference between what he wants to do, and what Marvel/Disney will eventually do.

Feige has created something no one thought was possible on so many levels. He has made second rate Marvel superheroes household names and billion dollar franchises. He has created a comic universe that is compelling to both fan and non-fan alike, doing this with 20-30 movies, with the majority being good... a few being great... and only a couple of stinkers.

That is amazing. He has nothing else to prove, and he can (if he wishes) stay true to his particular vision of the Marvel Universe. He doesn't HAVE to worry about long term, whether the MCU is a thing after he is done with Phase 4. He's done everything. He can let the ranchises go to someone else, leave with his good name in tact, going down as the ultimate fanboy living the dream... and let Disney and whoever else comes afterward worry about reboots and recasting, etc.

Disney/Marvel probably wants those things, but if I were Feige, I certainly wouldn't. Unless he has somehow failed to come out of his tenure as MCU chief with Infinite Money, he can walk away as soon as it starts to look ugly, and beast begins eating itself.

Or maybe he likes that stuff... and he'll do it. I don't know. I just know I wouldn't touch that, if I was in Feige's shoes.

Feige is in his dream job right now. As far as we know, he has no desire or intention of stepping away from his current role, and Disney knows they have a gifted executive producer running the show for the Marvel brand. Changing the MCU formula in any significant way is neither necessary nor attractive to anybody involved. The very fact that Feige has shown a knack for taking relatively unknown characters in the Marvel catalog and turning them into successful franchises means that he doesn't have to replace an actor to keep an established character going, he can just introduce a new character and the money and the accolades will keep on flowing.

That's their mindset right now. Maybe someday that will change. Maybe someday the Marvel (MCU) brand will wither and begin to die on the vine, and then major changes will become necessary. Until that time comes, though, I don't believe we'll see any serious departures from the Feige Formula.

The "Feige Formula," as you put it, so far has been "use golden age personalities in a Marvel Ultimate universe of classic characters."  I mean, other than the Guardians of the Galaxy, which is just a goofy sci fi movie really and worked because it was so well written and directed as a comedy, everything else has been from characters created in the 1960s.  They've largely been updated, but old.  Even Ms Marvel (now Captain Marvel) was created in the 1970s.

Will that work with characters created by people other than Stan Lee, Mike Ditko, and Jack Kirby?  I guess we'll see.  But I'm skeptical that people will embrace Kamala Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl like they have iconic established and beloved characters such as Captain America.

What if the Abstract Entities actually exist in the MCU? What if Thanos's real plan was to create a massive metaphysical shockwave to get Death's attention, either for love of her, fascination with her, to be killed by her, or to simply prove the existence of her?

What if Strange's one possible positive outcome was Thanos succeeding, and then being rebuffed by Death? This would provide an opening for the heroes to exploit, allowing them to wrest the gauntlet from Thanos or to simply convince him to use it to correct his error (seems like he's now subject to guilt tripping, perhaps).

The upside of this is twofold: First, we get a motive more aligned with comic Thanos (and that whacky over the top motive is part of his charm, IMO.) Second, the MCU introduces the concept of the various Abstracts, which is an area rife with story opportunities for both the cosmic side and Dr. Strange's corner of the MCU.

14 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

What if the Abstract Entities actually exist in the MCU? What if Thanos's real plan was to create a massive metaphysical shockwave to get Death's attention, either for love of her, fascination with her, to be killed by her, or to simply prove the existence of her?

What if Strange's one possible positive outcome was Thanos succeeding, and then being rebuffed by Death? This would provide an opening for the heroes to exploit, allowing them to wrest the gauntlet from Thanos or to simply convince him to use it to correct his error (seems like he's now subject to guilt tripping, perhaps).

The upside of this is twofold: First, we get a motive more aligned with comic Thanos (and that whacky over the top motive is part of his charm, IMO.) Second, the MCU introduces the concept of the various Abstracts, which is an area rife with story opportunities for both the cosmic side and Dr. Strange's corner of the MCU.

I for one have also thought about rewriting IW to incorporate a Mistress Death cameo. 

That would make me a lot happier and fit the cosmic stories of Marvel better than just some daffy environmentalist scheme.

7 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I had to google it. Apparently, it was part of the Collector's explanation in GotG. I'd have sworn he said the Celestials made the stones, but according to an MCU wiki, he said it was the Cosmic Entities and he named Death, Entropy, Infinity and Eternity.

The place Peter found the Orb has a mosaic depicting Death, Entropy, Infinity & Eternity. Apparently. 

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

No, he doesn't...unless there is an extended version that I haven't seen.  The original scene does not mention who forged them.

OK, then maybe I'm not crazy. Or we both are. I'll go with the wiki being crazy. (Or drawing from out of movie material, maybe.)

OK, so here's the scene:

No mention of who forged the stones. Not sure where the wiki was drawing that Cosmic Entities reference.

What was your source on the mentions, Bazza? (Aside from the Staff of the Living Tribunal, which is an indirect reference and doesn't really count as an introduction to the concept of the Abstracts.)

12 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

What was your source on the mentions, Bazza?

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

The place Peter found the Orb has a mosaic depicting Death, Entropy, Infinity & Eternity. Apparently. 

That is my source. ⬆️

This...

Holographic_Creation.png

...was first seen here...

latest?cb=20141126095805

But you really have to look for it, I think it is on the ground or on the wall from memory. 

The reference from the MCU wiki page is The Art of Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't have the book so can't confirm. Not yet! 

Make of this what you will. Accept it, or reject it. Up to you. :) 

31 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Look, all I'm saying is that you need to get this stuff straight, or I'll be forced to jump up and down until you fall off the bottom of the world. :winkgrin:

I got it straight. I'm setting you straight. ;) :P