Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

You mean you think there's another painting behind the painting that was behind the painting? What story does that one tell?

Maybe it was painted over because it was just nonsense meant to make Odin seem intimidating.  Maybe Hela took over the court a while and had it commissioned and Odin had it painted over.  All I know is, there's no reason to just assume this psychotic murderess is the voice of truth and reason.

Her story has the ring of truth to it, which is enough for me I guess. 

Its a mix for me.  Odin, in the mythology, isn't as heroic, noble, and wise a figure as he is in Marvel comics.  He killed his own father, for example, to take power.  So what she describes Marvel like I could easily see as part of the story.  But in the marvel universe, he's so noble and good that it felt contrived and forced, and there's nothing at all about Hela to give her credence or plausibility.  She's evil and cruel and heartless, why wouldn't she lie just to stick the knife in Thor's heart given her attitude toward him?

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

But in the marvel universe, he's so noble and good that it felt contrived and forced, and there's nothing at all about Hela to give her credence or plausibility.  She's evil and cruel and heartless, why wouldn't she lie just to stick the knife in Thor's heart given her attitude toward him?

Odin having a "secret past" in which he was ambitious and ruthless has more dramatic potential than the version of him in which he was always wise and benign. It provides a more richly layered history for the MCU. And it creates an intriguing mystery around the question of just what precipitated his change of heart (for instance, could it be tied to the Infinity stones in some way?). The reason you have Hela expose this truth is precisely because Thor, and by extension the audience, will distrust her and want to reject it. This is exactly the sort of emotional conflict writers love to create both for their characters and for their readers/viewers.

Look, it didn't make any sense that Darth Vader was Luke's father either, especially since it openly contradicted Obi Wan's statements from the first movie, but that revelation (also delivered by the villain) has become iconic and accepted as brilliant storytelling. shrug

• 2 weeks later...

I see plenty of hand-wringing over the fear of monopolies and pearl-clutching over the evils of giant corporations scattered throughout the Internet, but I guess I can't be bothered to fret over this stuff. So far, Disney's acquisition strategy has failed to have any meaningfully negative impact on my life. Sure, the latest Star Wars movies are a mixed bag overall, but George Lucas had completely lost it when it came to competent storytelling and wasn't doing his franchise any favors either, so I don't see that as having gone anywhere but up despite the recent stumbling. Disney may have more power in the entertainment space than any one company has ever enjoyed--something that clearly scares some folks--but the opportunity to bring the Fantastic Four and all the mutants back home is worth it to me.

Yeah a lot of people shrug at entertainment becoming a smaller and smaller group of mega corporations.  That's because they've not thought through what it means to have so little competition in entertainment, like its insignificant or not any bearing on our lives, that it has no power to sway or direct culture and politics, beliefs, and mores.

Finally official now?

The Walt Disney Company Signs Amended Acquisition Agreement To Acquire Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc., For $71.3 Billion In Cash And Stock - The Walt Disney Company - www.thewaltdisneycompany.com
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-walt-disney-company-signs-amended-acquisition-agreement-to-acquire-twenty-first-century-fox-inc-for-71-3-billion-in-cash-and-stock/

Nothing is "final" until the Fox shareholder meeting convenes to approve the deal, which was pushed from its original July 10 date to "later". This gives Comcast an opportunity to re-bid. There is still all the regulatory stuff to get through, but the Disney-Fox deal has a 6 month head start on all that, whereas a Comcast deal would have to start from scratch, delaying the sale for at least another year.

The way I see it, there are far bigger problems with show business than the rise of media conglomerates. For instance, the fact that an IP holder can legally sign over their creations in such a way that it is nearly impossible to get them back short of totally consuming the licensee (as we are seeing with Fox). The movie business in general is completely bonkers and profoundly flawed as a business model. I think the future of entertainment would benefit far more from a complete overhaul/reform of the way movies are financed, made, and distributed than by pressing the government to knock companies like Disney off their acquisition tracks.