Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

I'm not sure the set design really counts as canon.  I mean it ought to, they put huge work into making the Marvel Universe in comics come to life, and are clearly huge fans because of the love they put into sets and costumes (like the Kirby tech in the background of Ragnarok).  But that's the set design and it might not be story or intended to be for the setting at all.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:04 AM, Bazza said:

Abstract Entities created the Infinity Stones, so already part of MCU. 

The leap from set decoration to this is the problem. You have to go to outside sources to put this together, and it's never explicitly been stated that the abstracts exist or that they're the creators of the stones.

For example, in the Collector clip from GoTG, we see what clearly looks like a traditional comic book Celestial using a stone to lay waste to a planet. Then in GoTG:2, we find out that Ego is a Celestial. So, they removed the concept of the big armored Celestials and labeled Ego as one. They've shown several Elders of the Universe (including Ego), but they haven't introduced the concept behind them yet. Which would require Death being introduced, since Death refusing to take them because they're the last of their kind is part of their backstory.

Point being: MCU has already shuffled around a lot of the cosmology. So, if they don't explicitly state the Abstracts exist, the set decoration doesn't really count as introducing them.

Obviously Marvel is cherry-picking which elements from the 616 cosmology to bring into the MCU, and changing things as they see fit. Celestials do seem to exist in their classic Kirby form as seen in that clip from the Collector. The fact that Ego is labelled a Celestial in the MCU doesn't mean that the armored Celestials don't exist (they clearly do), but rather that in the MCU, Celestials can can also come in other forms (like a living planet). I mean, look how varied the Elders of the Universe are in the comics; I dare say Marvel has decided that Celestials can be just as varied in the MCU.

This ongoing practice of changing/mixing things up gives Marvel the creative freedom to depict entities like Death, Eternity, the Living Tribunal, etc. however they wish (if they choose to depict them at all). This is all part of the same process that changed the Mandarin and the Ten Rings into a white dude who runs A.I.M., or that changed Hela from the Goddess of Death to the Goddess of Flying Spikes, or that changed Thanos into the love child of Josh Brolin and a California Raisin. Not all of their changes are successful, in my view, but most of them are pretty harmless.

Agree with all of that. That wasn't the issue at hand. It was a question of Bazza asserting that the concept of the Abstract Entities had been introduced to the MCU. My position is that they haven't explicitly introduced them. That the Easter eggs and window dressing stuff doesn't limit their later creative choices.

3 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The leap from set decoration to this is the problem. You have to go to outside sources to put this together, and it's never explicitly been stated that the abstracts exist or that they're the creators of the stones.

For example, in the Collector clip from GoTG, we see what clearly looks like a traditional comic book Celestial using a stone to lay waste to a planet. Then in GoTG:2, we find out that Ego is a Celestial. So, they removed the concept of the big armored Celestials and labeled Ego as one. They've shown several Elders of the Universe (including Ego), but they haven't introduced the concept behind them yet. Which would require Death being introduced, since Death refusing to take them because they're the last of their kind is part of their backstory.

Point being: MCU has already shuffled around a lot of the cosmology. So, if they don't explicitly state the Abstracts exist, the set decoration doesn't really count as introducing them.

Mostly agree which is one reason I dislike James Gunn's handling of MCU Cosmic. It introduces problems & issue which were ironed out in the comics. Don't get me started on the individual earth based Guardians like Drax, & Mantis, etc. 

After all, in the first Thor movie we glimpsed what looked like the Infinity Gauntlet in Asgard's arsenal, only to have Hela later toss it aside and declare it a fake.

Which was another one of those dumb moments that I ignored because its just a goofball comedy.

But seriously why would Odin keep a replica in his super secure vault of ultimate treasures?

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Which was another one of those dumb moments that I ignored because its just a goofball comedy.

But seriously why would Odin keep a replica in his super secure vault of ultimate treasures?

Having your own infinity gauntlet was all the rage 1000 years ago, now it's become passé.

12 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If people thought you had an Infinity Gauntlet it would make a good deterrent against attack. It would also raise your prestige as a cosmic power.

Everything we've seen of MCU Odin establishes he wasn't above concealing and manipulating the truth to serve his purposes.

There's also the intriguing notion that the gauntlet in Odin's vault might have been an earlier version, made for Odin when he went in search of the stones himself during the conquest era with Hela (which might have been the real motivation behind his cosmic campaigning). Given that it was really just meant as an easter egg with no further significance when it showed up (for all of about six frames) in the first Thor movie, we can assign any backstory we want to it and Feige would probably just shrug and say, "Sure, why not."

16 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I took that to "mean" that loki had stolen the original long ago, and sold it on the Cosmic version of "craig's list".