Third Edition Renaissance

Pariah

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

It works either way.  If they are actively impeding you in some way, it's a physical limitation, too. 

Good to know. I usually use it as one upmanship. So Neon (my Hero) has a rivalry with Starburst, will do something (probably stupid) if someone say “Hey Starburst can do that better!” Neon will say “watch this!”

7 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Good to know. I usually use it as one upmanship. So Neon (my Hero) has a rivalry with Starburst, will do something (probably stupid) if someone say “Hey Starburst can do that better!” Neon will say “watch this!”

I feel like we could use a Famous Last Words thread in this forum....

2 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

No range; always on.  Reduced END with handwaved "1 end to maintain; full end when it" goes off. "

At least, that's how we did it in 2e.   Chris Goodwin could tell you more about 3e options. 

I was thinking something like this.  Muck man should have his Clinging Damage Shield! 😁

On 1/3/2019 at 6:43 PM, Pariah said:

And I've got to tell you, here's something really cool about building a character with pencil and paper. I've had to relearn how a few things work, like END (Holy cow! How did my heroes ever stay awake for more than a Turn?!) and proper Elemental Controls, but I'm now able to create a new character in ~30 minutes, start to finish. It's been a lot of fun.

I can't be the only one who still uses pencil and paper? Like, no matter what edition, I still sit down with a piece of paper, a calculator, and the book. Does anyone else do this?

Well, these days I usually use Notepad and a PDF of the rules--usually it's 5e, but I have 3-6 as pdf files. And I have the Calculator open. I tried Heromaker but I really have always been in love with the pencil-and-paper method. I run mostly play-by-email games now--a lot!--but to me, the pencil/paper part of it is almost sacred. I find it *so* relaxing to work through the character creation "manually" I guess you'd call it.

Am I the only one?  (I have no problem with the software. But to me it's like, honestly, a microwave dinner compared to cooking it yourself. Like, I'd use the software in a pinch but it's not something I'd enjoy. Which is no offense, I think the software is well made.)

I guess I want to get a feel for how many people still do pencil and paper...?

2 hours ago, pbemguy said:

Am I the only one?  (I have no problem with the software. But to me it's like, honestly, a microwave dinner compared to cooking it yourself. Like, I'd use the software in a pinch but it's not something I'd enjoy. Which is no offense, I think the software is well made.)

When I am creating it is paper, pencil and the physical book.  That is for all RPG's.

I really cannot play/run an RPG if it does not have a physical book.  Without it I cannot seem to engage in planning or creating adventures.

I will use software like Hero Designer later to help me manage things and be able to get a clean print (I also run games with physical materials). 

I have tried to play remotely via chat and the whole virtual thing, but I cannot seem to engage.  Without being able to see the other players and their body language I have no way to adjust the scenes. 

But for the creating process, characters, adventures or campaigns, I am pencil, paper and physical book.

2 hours ago, pbemguy said:

I can't be the only one who still uses pencil and paper? Like, no matter what edition, I still sit down with a piece of paper, a calculator, and the book. Does anyone else do this?

Well, these days I usually use Notepad and a PDF of the rules--usually it's 5e, but I have 3-6 as pdf files. And I have the Calculator open. I tried Heromaker but I really have always been in love with the pencil-and-paper method. I run mostly play-by-email games now--a lot!--but to me, the pencil/paper part of it is almost sacred. I find it *so* relaxing to work through the character creation "manually" I guess you'd call it.

I do all my work by hand.

I ended up buying the 6th edition character creation software a couple of months ago. I've used it a lot less than I anticipated, partly because my laptop is so redacted slow these days.

Of course, most of the characters that I've created recently have been for Champions Now, and there is no software for that....

1 minute ago, Ninja-Bear said:

What I really like about 3rd ed is the short backgrounds for the characters. I really don’t like the pages and pages of prose for characters that other editions seem to add on.

Well to be fair, that has nothing to do with the rules.  That is all fluff and is akin to the player that writes a 5000 page background soap opera for their new PC and then gets upset when you decline to read most of it or rewrite you campaign to take everything into account. 

6 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

True Spence but if you look at Classic Enemies Dr. Destroyer gets a separate fluff page. Each Character in the BBB gets fluff more expanded then fifth happened. 😁

Very true.  I think I misunderstood and responded to that misunderstanding :ugly:

For some odd reason I read it as the 3rd ed rules were better because somehow they made the fluff less.  Not that it was the writing style of the 3rd ed era you liked.  Bizarre eh? :think:

8 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

No range; always on.  Reduced END with handwaved "1 end to maintain; full end when it" goes off. "

At least, that's how we did it in 2e.   Chris Goodwin could tell you more about 3e options. 

8 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I was thinking something like this.  Muck man should have his Clinging Damage Shield! 😁

It's in the Champions III supplement, which I would argue is perfectly acceptable for 3rd edition!