Ring of Regeneration

iamlibertarian

Unfortunately Regen states it cannot be UBO. Is Universal Focus enough by itself? And if so, does it violate the 'hand stuff out to others routinely' issue?

I may have solved my own problem though of 'regenerating' others, through use of Healing (instead of using Regen) along with 'Decreased Re-use duration' to 1 Turn and only +1 Pip without any D6 to simulate Regen of 1 point per turn.

Thanks!

DC :)

Regeneration with a universal OIF focus is enough.

In general, the Usable by Other set of advantages is only used when you have the power and are able to give/force it on someone else.  The difference is that the person with the focus is in control of the power and possesses the power.  If you were going to create a "spell of regeneration" that you could cast on other people, then Usable by Other would be appropriate, because you would have the spell and the target would get the benefits (though in that specific case healing might be better).

Hopefully, that's useful.

Exactly what dsatow said.  As wierd as it sounds, you can put "usable as attack" on it, and that would allow you to forcibly regenerate someone without actually giving them the power to regenerate themselves. 

And has been noted above, Independant Focus would allow you to give the power (via the ring) to someone else.  _However_, the only way you have to get the ring back is to wait for them to give it back or take it by force. 

You want the ability to make other people regenerate?  That's clearly Regeneration UBO  Ask your GM if he'll override the book, and politely explain why you want him to.  If you're the GM, just tell the book to shove it since you're the one in charge! 

Alternatively, you can mimic Regeneration UBO via Aid (BODY), Damage Over Time, Delayed Return Rate, Only Restores to Starting Values. 

16 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

You want the ability to make other people regenerate?  That's clearly Regeneration UBO  Ask your GM if he'll override the book, and politely explain why you want him to.  If you're the GM, just tell the book to shove it since you're the one in charge! 

Alternatively, you can mimic Regeneration UBO via Aid (BODY), Damage Over Time, Delayed Return Rate, Only Restores to Starting Values. 

Or we could use Transform, wounded character to character wounded one BOD less, 0 END, Persistent, only against target wearing magical ring...

Or we could just not overthink it and go with:

1/2d6 Healing BOD (5 points), Standard Effect (2 CP = 1 BOD), Decreased Re-Use (1 turn, +1 1/2), 0 END (+1/2), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) 20 AP IIF Ring (-1/4), Extra Time (only happens PS 12; -1 1/4), Limited Range (target must be close enough to receive the ring, -1/4), Target must wear ring throughout (-3/4), 5 Real Points.

The real question is whether the ability to restore any and all lost BOD for anyone, one at a time, out of combat, is acceptable to the GM.  If it is, great, it's really not that powerful an effect for a Supers game.  If not, then any build should be denied.

17 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

That's clearly Regeneration UBO  Ask your GM if he'll override the book, and politely explain why you want him to.  If you're the GM, just tell the book to shove it 

That is one of my favorite options, particularly with the increasing incidents of "no" and "must." 

However, I wanted to point out that the obviousness of usable by others depends entirely on who controls the power / pays the END.  If the other person ends up in charge of and responsible for the power, then yes: usable by others.  If the player character with the power remains in charge of / responsible for the power, then no; it's not usable by others.  While the published examples have used wording such as "usable on others" and "usable against others," at their heart, they are all "usable as attack." 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:04 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

Or we could use Transform, wounded character to character wounded one BOD less, 0 END, Persistent, only against target wearing magical ring...

Or we could just not overthink it and go with:

1/2d6 Healing BOD (5 points), Standard Effect (2 CP = 1 BOD), Decreased Re-Use (1 turn, +1 1/2), 0 END (+1/2), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) 20 AP IIF Ring (-1/4), Extra Time (only happens PS 12; -1 1/4), Limited Range (target must be close enough to receive the ring, -1/4), Target must wear ring throughout (-3/4), 5 Real Points.

The real question is whether the ability to restore any and all lost BOD for anyone, one at a time, out of combat, is acceptable to the GM.  If it is, great, it's really not that powerful an effect for a Supers game.  If not, then any build should be denied.

For the 1/2d6 Healing power, don't forget 0 End, Persistent.  Is there any reason the ring wouldn't be IAF? Rings generally aren't that hard to pull off someone's hand.

58 minutes ago, Tech said:

Is there any reason the ring wouldn't be IAF? Rings generally aren't that hard to pull off someone's hand.

That's a player decision, with GM approval.  Yes; you are right: rings aren't that hard to pull off of fingers as a matter of course (exceptions for thoae with advanced arthritis). 

But depending on how the player builds the ring, then this particular ring and this particular finger are a bit different. 

3 hours ago, Tech said:

Is there any reason the ring wouldn't be IAF? Rings generally aren't that hard to pull off someone's hand.

It depends.  My group plays whether a focus is accessible or not is based off if you can remove/takeaway/disarm it during combat.  As an example, a ring was given.  When it was noted it was relatively easy to remove, they made a fist while wearing the ring and asked us to take it off.  So for our games, a focus is considered accessible if during combat, with the target resisting(generally not mind controlled, stunned, or unconscious), you could take the item away with a quick grab and yank or a martial maneuver.  Of course, this is our house definition and the person buying the power decides what it rates based on that definition.  Your group's definition may be different.

21 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

Universal Focus clearly covers this. Not being UBO is a restriction on constructs, not a generally applicable rule in fantasy that rings of regeneration cannot be shared (!). 

Universal Focus isn't for an object that will be handed around frequently.  Such an item is supposed to be bought UBO.  "But remember, Focus is not the Usable On Others Advantage; characters shouldn’t be allowed to buy abilities through Universal Foci then routinely loan those Foci to other characters." (6E1 p380). 

How would you buy such an item as UBO? What does routinely mean? How is this restriction enforced? If I bought an item with Regeneration in one slot and Healing in the other, if I had the right to the other person am I using the healing slot or can they access Regeneration?

This clause is mercifully missing from Fantasy Hero Complete. 

4 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

How would you buy such an item as UBO?

You'd apply the Advantage to the power. 

4 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

What does routinely mean? How is this restriction enforced?

Like all restrictions, it is enforced by your GM telling you to stop when he feels you've crossed from Universal Focus to UBO. 

5 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

If I bought an item with Regeneration in one slot and Healing in the other, if I had the right to the other person am I using the healing slot or can they access Regeneration?

Depends on the SFX and how often you've been handing out that item (unless it's UBO). 

Semi-serious attempt to build a ring of regeneration:

Healing, 1d6 BODY; Always On, Constant, Decreased Re-Use Duration (1 Turn), OIF (magic ring), Persistent, Standard Effect. Real Cost: 16 points (32 Active Points).  Anyone want to check my math?

Every turn, on your Phase, the ring heals someone 3 cp of BODY, maxing out on your second Phase until next turn. 

On 2/11/2020 at 10:08 AM, Tech said:

For the 1/2d6 Healing power, don't forget 0 End, Persistent.  Is there any reason the ring wouldn't be IAF? Rings generally aren't that hard to pull off someone's hand.

Only if they are unconscious.

I would say IIF, or OIF, if it flares brightly while doing it's thing.  Only removable in non-combat situations.

3 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Only if they are unconscious.

Years ago, there was a bunch of thefts where rings were pulled off of women's hands by various thieves as women waited at a bus stop. Fortunately, it stopped and/or the thieves were caught. The point? They could theoretically be easy to pull off but it's up to the GMs & players. Hey, if the player wants, don't give them any foci limitation and the ring will never be taken.