Jump to content
Tywyll

Easiest software to run a game online

Recommended Posts

So, thanks to Corvid, my group will be meeting online from now on. So I need a decent program to run combats online.

 

Mostly I want some thing easy to use and learn, preferably free. It doesn't have to be fancy, just have a map an figs.

 

I have the tts app for Hero and it is incredible, but none of my players have tts and I think learning it will be more time intensive than I can/they will spare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are three levels in the Hero System Mod for TTS

 

Level 1. Roll Dice in the game by picking them up and throwing them (it is a physics based environment) .. character sheets can be kept in or out of game at this point, use discord or TTS for voice. This is pretty simple but does need everyone to own a copy of TTS

Level 2. Use the built in dice roller in the game .. it adds body and stun and can cover most dice situations. Use character sheets with models in the game on the hex grid.

Level 3. Use the completely automated rolling solution after importing your character from hero designer. Use the Turn manager to control when people take turns basically let the computer do the tough bits and click a few buttons to play. Complexity comes from importing the hero designer sheets.

 

You can choose which ever level suits you or your players

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOnestly I don't know anything about Roll20, other than that it costs.

 

I need something where I can build a map easily and have characters move around on it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been using Epic Table for a couple of years now.  We will be transitioning to TTS Hero System (see above).

 

Epic Table is basically system neutral.  That makes it pretty easy to use.

 

TTS Hero System is definitely Hero specific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Brennall said:

There are three levels in the Hero System Mod for TTS

 

Level 1. Roll Dice in the game by picking them up and throwing them (it is a physics based environment) .. character sheets can be kept in or out of game at this point, use discord or TTS for voice. This is pretty simple but does need everyone to own a copy of TTS

Level 2. Use the built in dice roller in the game .. it adds body and stun and can cover most dice situations. Use character sheets with models in the game on the hex grid.

Level 3. Use the completely automated rolling solution after importing your character from hero designer. Use the Turn manager to control when people take turns basically let the computer do the tough bits and click a few buttons to play. Complexity comes from importing the hero designer sheets.

 

You can choose which ever level suits you or your players

 

 

This still requires my players to buy TTS, which is a pretty big ask. Of the 7 of us, only two (myself and one other) have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spending money is always an ask of your players. I can see that and everyone has different levels of what they can spend money on. 

 

You are right to consider them. I am sure there are easier and more cost effective ways of playing.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brennall said:

Spending money is always an ask of your players. I can see that and everyone has different levels of what they can spend money on. 

 

You are right to consider them. I am sure there are easier and more cost effective ways of playing.

 

 

 

 

Don't get me wrong...if I had started the campaign with this in mind and Corvid hadn't been sprung on me like this, I'd love to use it. But I'd still need to convince them to pony up for it. I think it looks amazing and if I can figure out how to use it it would make playing the game a breeze (I think). Though a bit more of a hassle in that I need full sheets for all my npcs instead of my cribbed notes... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tywyll said:

 

This still requires my players to buy TTS, which is a pretty big ask. Of the 7 of us, only two (myself and one other) have it. 

 

See if you can gift your friends with it. That's what one of my friends did for me.

 

Also, another way to roll the dice is to highlight all the dice you want to roll and press R. This also works with shuffling card decks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Don't get me wrong...if I had started the campaign with this in mind and Corvid hadn't been sprung on me like this, I'd love to use it. But I'd still need to convince them to pony up for it. I think it looks amazing and if I can figure out how to use it it would make playing the game a breeze (I think). Though a bit more of a hassle in that I need full sheets for all my npcs instead of my cribbed notes... ;)

 

The cost is $20 per person unless there is a sale going on, then they sell 4 licenses for $40 usually.  People are asking on the TTS company forum if they are going to have a pandemic sale.  I think it makes a lot of sense because they would sell a ton of licenses (more than makeup the discount cost).

 

Also with the 'level 1' in Hero TTS you can keep all your crib notes because you can just use the dice rolling and skip the other parts of what Brennal has built.  The cool stuff will require creating characters in detail using HD and then do an export.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

 Discord? With screen share?  

 

Discord is another chat thing right? 

Tried chat, both the typing version and the so called voice chat before. 

Not really TTRPG friendly.  It caused more confusion than it helped.  I tried to look up better info and everything was written by people wanting to impress with technobabble  instead of simply explaining what it is. I had to draw my conclusions by reading between the lines of other posts.

 

Anyway, please don't take this post as critical of your suggestion.  I do appreciate the thought.

 

The TTS thing being discussed looks interesting so when I get a chance I will look into it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, one of my players, upon seeing TTS and all the mods, just went and bought it. However, that still leaves 4 players without it so I don't know if we'll end up using it or not.

 

What we did try was Gametable. However, none of the players could connect. So I just ended up using it myself and sharing my screen with them. Hey ho. Luckily there was only one combat encounter but honestly it didn't go too badly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluesguy said:

 

The cost is $20 per person unless there is a sale going on, then they sell 4 licenses for $40 usually.  People are asking on the TTS company forum if they are going to have a pandemic sale.  I think it makes a lot of sense because they would sell a ton of licenses (more than makeup the discount cost).

 

Also with the 'level 1' in Hero TTS you can keep all your crib notes because you can just use the dice rolling and skip the other parts of what Brennal has built.  The cool stuff will require creating characters in detail using HD and then do an export.

I don't mind exporting characters into it. My only real issue is whether I need to prestat all my encounters (no thanks!) and how the heck to I create/find a map for players to play on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tywyll said:

I don't mind exporting characters into it. My only real issue is whether I need to prestat all my encounters (no thanks!) and how the heck to I create/find a map for players to play on?

Like, the way it can be played in three levels. You can do maps in three levels.  Level one has an off white sheet with a hex grid on it. it also has ruler tools that are accurate to the hex grid scale so you can use the ruler and turn the grid off, if you so choose.  Even in this level one, you can use the pen tool to "draw' directly on the map with what ever color you choose, and the result is similar to what was once done on Chessex battle mats with water soluble markers (wasserlosich pens). 

 

The second level is to load pre generated map images, either found online, or drawn and scanned by the GM. These can be free, or paid, or what have you and the tools in TTS will allow you to scale the image up and down as you see fit to use in the game. This will look similar to what is seen in Roll 20, with full color maps or photo downloads of overhead views of areas.

 

As for GM preparation, there are some pre-made characters, such as  Soldiers, thugs and average humans, one can use as base starting characters, BUT any powerful characters or Supers will need to be built or baked from Hero Designer files, and pre-loaded in so that one has them ready to load into the combat controller. It's not really set up for a gGM to generate powerful characters on the fly, But it IS set up to run endless standard mooks, with just one version of their stats. 

 

The Third Level involves a lot of work, but the results are spectacular.  Going through the TTS workshop on steam, one can find  free OBJ models and Unity assets that can be used in your game, with miniatures (some that move), buildings, terrain pieces, props and scenery dressing, to make a fully 3D environment for your heroes to interact with.  The assets are free, but the Gm will have to collect and organize them, and put them into "chests" that can be unpacked or packed with a click, as the GM needs them.  Lighting effects, and environmental effects can be added, changing the lighting to night time with street lamps, or magical effects providing illumination if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I am hoping to find a way to merge Hero System Mod and the One World Mod so that I can get the best of both worlds.  I know why Brennall did what he did for mapping.  In my case I found and have been setting up maps using the One World mod, I have invested to much to give it up.  So even if all I take from the Hero System Mod is the dice roller that will be enough.

 

If you decide to use something like One World for maps then you should watch this video, because in 1 hour he shows you how to take a 2D map and turn it into a really usable 3D map.  All you need is jpg or png of a map and GIMP and a bit of patience and you can build some really amazing maps for TTS.  Also people will publish their own One World maps in the workshop and you can just import them onto your gaming table and One World setup.

 

To learn more about One World here are some videos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spence said:

Well I broke down and bought TTS.

 

Didn't have time to do anything except install the basic system.  Next I'll get to decipher all the other stuff.

 

There are lots of tutorials on YouTube. Also, be sure to check out the Workshop on Steam to get free stuff. A lot of folks have made items they share with other Steam members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

 

There are lots of tutorials on YouTube. Also, be sure to check out the Workshop on Steam to get free stuff. A lot of folks have made items they share with other Steam members.

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be YouTube.

I miss the days of a concise written document.  There are a lot of things I'd look into if I had hours of free time to watch videos and listen to pod babble. 

 

Darn those whippersnappers.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spence said:

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be YouTube.

I miss the days of a concise written document.  There are a lot of things I'd look into if I had hours of free time to watch videos and listen to pod babble. 

 

Darn those whippersnappers.....

 

 

You and me both. I hate it when I follow a link to some news item and I get a video instead of text. I want TEXT. A transcript I can skim to see if it's worth my time to read more closely, or to actually watch the video. Usually, I just hit the BACK button and move on. Life is too short to watch a 10 minute video that turns out to be pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind Tabletop Simulator has a hands-on tutorial. If you prefer text, I think their website may include the tutorial in that format.

 

That said, the tutorial videos are pretty helpful as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last night I figured out how to pull figs from other assets into the HERO mod. It was clunky though (open mod-save individual fig-close mod-open Hero Mod-import individual fig). I feel like there must be a better way (or at least I hope there is!).

 

Still no idea how to import maps though. 

 

Also no idea how to get characters running in the combat sheets I've seen on the screen shots. I don't even know how to turn that part of the thing on?!? Not sure I would use it, but I'd like to see it at least.

 

I like being able to have your pdf as part of the table, but I can't seem to share a pdf with the other players?

 

The dice roller is super cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...