2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

"Blue Bombers". Now there's a great nickname! :thumbup:

Speaking of which, I read yesterday that the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos will be changing their nickname soon as well.

For the First Nations of Canada, that is probably viewed as good news. There is still resentment: during a Grey Cup game in Ottawa a couple of years ago (in near-blizzard conditions, which made things interesting) a local First Nations leader welcomed the fans and media to the "unceded territory" of his nation before the game. That's a code word for conquest, as in "You took this land and settled it without our consent".

The most obvious nickname for an Edmonton team, Oilers, is taken by the NHL team and might run into trademark issues with the NFL.

For the Washington team, I'm rooting for "Red Tails" but it might not be likely and could arouse the ire of some circles. And there's a perfect storm of trouble for the franchise, which is having its own "Me Too" crisis. One sports site suggested the NFL might take the virtually-unprecedented action (for the NFL) of pressuring Dan Snyder into selling his interest in the team. He doesn't realize how thoroughly despised he is in the media, the fanbase, and the circle of his peers. But there's no smoking gun as there was with Donald Stirling, They would probably rather he left on his own terms and found a buyer on his own. Embattled though it is, the franchise is still worth at least a cool billion on the open market.

26 minutes ago, Old Man said:

*checks wallet*  Damn. 

Just put it on your Black Card.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL would prefer Snyder to be gone, but yeah, they're not going to do anything unless they can connect *him*, directly, with big problems.  It's not like the owners are a bunch of candidates for sainthood, so is he that much worse than several others?  The owners and league, in general, don't want to go there...and if nothing else, the fact that it's a billion dollar enterprise makes things VERY complicated, when you try to oust the owner.

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

For the First Nations of Canada, that is probably viewed as good news. There is still resentment: during a Grey Cup game in Ottawa a couple of years ago (in near-blizzard conditions, which made things interesting) a local First Nations leader welcomed the fans and media to the "unceded territory" of his nation before the game. That's a code word for conquest, as in "You took this land and settled it without our consent".

The most obvious nickname for an Edmonton team, Oilers, is taken by the NHL team and might run into trademark issues with the NFL.

For the Washington team, I'm rooting for "Red Tails" but it might not be likely and could arouse the ire of some circles. And there's a perfect storm of trouble for the franchise, which is having its own "Me Too" crisis. One sports site suggested the NFL might take the virtually-unprecedented action (for the NFL) of pressuring Dan Snyder into selling his interest in the team. He doesn't realize how thoroughly despised he is in the media, the fanbase, and the circle of his peers. But there's no smoking gun as there was with Donald Stirling, They would probably rather he left on his own terms and found a buyer on his own. Embattled though it is, the franchise is still worth at least a cool billion on the open market.

It occurred to me the other day the one problem with red tails. This generations honoring of the Tuskegee airmen could become next generations culture appropriation.  Especially given we are talking about a team formerly known as Redskins and was the last team among 3 sports to integrate

24 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Good points.

Well, I would be less cautious with any other team. But their history is especially, unique we'll say.

If I remember, their owner in the 1960s was strong armed by JFK himself to integrate.  In a way, history has made a kind of sequel with Snyder.  

And on the their integration, I do remember the ironic protest sign that read KEEP REDSKINS WHITE (held by a neo-nazi no less)

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Remembering that in military slang the term means intelligence/counterintelligence types, the Washington Spooks would be appropriate for the locale, and would offend just about everyone.

Sold!

How about FC Foggy Bottom?

In other NFL news, the league and PA agreed on a restart.  Yeahh, well...I still have serious doubts.

In the NYT article on the subject, there's a paragraph about the income loss:

The league earns about one-quarter of its $15 billion in annual revenue from local sources, including ticket sales, parking, food and beverage sales, luxury boxes and sponsorships. The loss of income from these fan-less games could cost the owners and players several billion dollars, though the precise amount will not be determined until the end of the season.

So there's a fairly firm number.  Quite a bit.....

He's going to spend the upcoming season caring for patients instead of playing football:

Chiefs starting guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif opts out of 2020 NFL season due to COVID-19 pandemic

He's a medical school graduate, and he's currently working at a long-term care facility in his native Quebec.