What have you used?

Chris Goodwin

What Fantasy Hero products have you used? It could be anything published for the system at any time, from day one until day after tomorrow. It could be anything published by any iteration of the company, or anything written and posted here or on web pages.

Of the things you used, how long were the campaigns you used them in?

Have you used setting material? Have you used bestiaries, monsters, packages, magic systems, spells, items?

What have you gotten the most use out of?

Re: What have you used?

I think the bits I've read through the most are the mini-settings in Urban Fantasy and Post-Apocalyptic Hero. Some neat ideas there. Those kind of forced me to use Fantasy Hero and the Gromoires, due to the rather spread out nature of information in Hero.

However I haven't used those technically, as I'm not actually gaming with them. Sorta thinking about starting a game, but no game time yet.

I also liked reading Valdorian Age and Tuala Morn. Again no actual use, but fun writing and ideas.

I've probably had most use out of Robin Hood: A Giant Outlaw Campaign (Graham Staplehurst) and Mythic Greece (Aaron Allston), both ICE/FH3 products, as campaign settings.

I've also used Fantasy Hero 5 and 6 editions. Of the recent campaign settings I've only used Turakian Age. I'd like to give Valdorian Age a spin, but my players are not that keen. I have Atlantean Age as well, but not got round to serious reading of it. I've just picked up Tuala Morn andf Acquitaine, and have only had time to skim them. Same with Kamarinthin of the third-party settings.

I use most of the rule-support books for most games: Martial Arts, Grimoire, Equipment Guide, Ultimate Base, Ultimate Vehicle

Ninja Hero and Ultimate Martial Artist have gotten an unusual amount of use in my FH campaigns. The Bestiaries too, though that is to be expected. I've lifted some stuff from the Rolemaster Robin Hood and Mythic Greece books as well. And the Companions to some extent.

I'd say the books that get the most use (apart from the core rulebooks) are the bestiaries and Ultimate martial artist. I've lifted some stuff from Valdorian Age and Tuala Morn, as well. In general though, I tend not to use very much as written, instead using the book materials for basic templates to save me some work, and and then simply grafting stuff on top of that.

cheers, Mark

1st edition Fantasy Hero got some use, but I've basically just stuck with the BBB for everything. Never saw a need for anything more. For some reason they didn't bother to ask me about how magic and monsters should be before detailing them, and so got them all wrong in the official books. :P I've done all my own writeups of monsters I want to use, as well as a generalized description of how magic (divine and sorcerous) works in the setting. Never had a PC be a priest/cleric/healer type though, and the mages were always fighters with one or two minor spells, so the magic system has severely languished from disuse.

For me, the combat rules are important, but the setting is critical. The official settings are so far away from what I want that it's not worth the work to redo them. I use Harn for the gritty, low-magic stories, and I created the Witch King campaign world for a more standard level of magic and monsters.

Any time I have been the GM, it has been non-campaign style, and characters never lasted more than 1-2 sessions. Unfortunately, the people I know only like zero-to-hero dungeon crawls with large amounts of magical loot, and I prefer stories with little or no magic, characters that seldom change, and spending lots of time on intrigue and politics. Oddly enough, in my superhero stuff I have no day-to-day life stuff, and no romance at all, whereas both are important in my fantasy storylines.

Fantasy Hero 5th Edition version. While not an active resource, it was an excellent source of inspiration and ideas. The 6th Edition version was basically a reprint with updated stats and more material, so I would count that as just a valuable resource for the newbie Fantasy Hero GM.

The Western Shores campaign setting from the 4th Edition Fantasy Hero book. It served admirably as a default fantasy setting until a friend and I home brewed our own. Off and on, our home brew lasted about five years.

For magic and monsters, I typically constructed all of those rules myself. I am currently kicking around the idea of running my kids through the Turakian Age, using monsters from the Bestiary and spells from the Grimoire. I suppose I would have to pick up the new Grimoire in that case, as the whole point was to pull the existing resources so I didn't have to build my own.

Edit: Removed some unnecessary digression.

The various monster books are by FAR the most use FH books in my collection. Hec...they might be the most used Hero books in my collection. In order the main bestiary, MMM, Dragons, then NKN. After that...the main FH rulebooks followed by the spell books. :)

I've used the 4e FH and the two companions, and the 5e FH, Turakian Age, the Grimoires, Monsters-Minions-And-Marauders, Nobles-Knights-and-Necromancers, and Enchanted Items. My longest-running FH game used the 4e Western Shores, though I screwed with it pretty mightily by the time all was said and done (St. Louis was there ... and Mechanon).

• 1 year later...

Hero System 4th Edition

Fantasy Hero (4th)

Fantasy Hero Companion

Fantasy Hero Companion II

Fantasy Hero Beastiary (4th)

Shadow World setting (4th edition, many books that included 4th edition Hero stats)

Ninja Hero

The Ultimate Martial Artist (4th)

Hero System 5th Edition

Fantasy Hero (5th)

Hero System Beastiery (5th)

The Ultimate Martial Artist

Combat Handbook

The Ultimate Vehicle

Monsters Minions and Marauders

Enchanted Items

Asian Beastiery Vol 1

Asian Beastiery Vol 2

That's it so far. I haven't run a 6th edition game yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hero System 4th Edition Fantasy Hero (4th) Fantasy Hero Companion Fantasy Hero Companion II Fantasy Hero Beastiary (4th) Shadow World setting (4th edition, many books that included 4th edition Hero stats) Ninja Hero The Ultimate Martial Artist (4th) Hero System 5th Edition Fantasy Hero (5th) Hero System Beastiery (5th) The Ultimate Martial Artist Combat Handbook The Ultimate Vehicle Monsters Minions and Marauders Enchanted Items Asian Beastiery Vol 1 Asian Beastiery Vol 2 That's it so far. I haven't run a 6th edition game yet.

With the exception of Shadow World, and the addition of the Campaign Classics Pirates supplement, this is probably close to my list.

JoeG

What Fantasy Hero products have you used? It could be anything published for the system at any time, from day one until day after tomorrow. It could be anything published by any iteration of the company, or anything written and posted here or on web pages. Of the things you used, how long were the campaigns you used them in? Have you used setting material? Have you used bestiaries, monsters, packages, magic systems, spells, items? What have you gotten the most use out of?

I have used Magic Items (1e FH), The Spell Book (1eFH), FH 1E, FH 2e, FH Companion, FH Companion II, ICE's Robin Hood(for the great list of Professions, and Knowledges). Hero Bestiary (all editions). Equipment and Weapons lists (all of my FH books open to that page and have Postit flags on those pages). Racial Packages, Archetype Packages. Ninja Hero, Ultimate Martial Artist, HS Martial Arts. Urban Fantasy Hero. Tuala Morn, 5e Grimoire I and II, FH Battlegrounds, Enchanted Items, Monsters, minions and Marauders.

I have both Tarakian and Tuala Morn. The 5e  FH world books never caught my fancy. I could never tell what fracking book was what kind of Fantasy. I want a Fantasy world that is similar to Pathfinder's Golarion. Something Generic, Easy for people to look at and understand the cultures. High D&D style Fantasy, Lots of Personality.

I'll answer for myself.  I've used FH1e, FH2e (for 4th edition), FH3e (for 5th), Hero Bestiary (4th).  I own a lot of materials, but not all of them have seen use in play.  

Follow up question! 

Of the stuff you've used, what do you use as written vs. what do you use with minor changes vs. what do you use with major rebuilds?  

From Hero Bestiary, I've used stuff as written.  From the FH books, I've used package deals as written.  I've almost always built my own spells as a player (in the FH1e days).  

I... seem not to have played as much Fantasy Hero over the years as I would have liked.    :weep:

Package Deals, Skills. We always end up having to change Spells. As each spell "school" has a different set of limitations, which is kind of annoying. I wish there were a common set of Limitations for Arcane magic, A slightly different one for Divine Magic(priestly stuff), and only then list other systems (ie Witchcraft, Shamanism, Psionics that would have their own systems).

I tend to use Monsters as listed (or customizing them with included options). Weapons are always as listed, Armor. Equipment. Races, Magic Items. Pretty Much everything is used as listed.

I have both Tarakian and Tuala Morn. The 5e FH world books never caught my fancy. I could never tell what fracking book was what kind of Fantasy. I want a Fantasy world that is similar to Pathfinder's Golarion. Something Generic, Easy for people to look at and understand the cultures. High D&D style Fantasy, Lots of Personality.

I'm in the same boat. i have neither Turakian age or Tuala Morn (i'd like to examine tuala morn as i have a thing for celtic mythology) but the other hero settings do nothing for me. i use the shadow world setting from ICE, and find that it hits all the benchmarks quite nicely. i wish the hero stats in the shadow world supplements were better developed as that would help immensely, but thats no big deal. the only thing in that setting that needs to be converted over is how the magic works, specific NPC's and some of the more famous magical items.

I'm embarking on an effort to bring the shadow world supplements up to snuff (converted to 5th rev) but its likely to be a long running project (i.e. i'll never finish it completely)

Speaking of... I just dug out my Shadow World boxed set, and ... there are no Fantasy Hero stats?   :confused:  Supposedly there's another book that goes with it, but I don't know whether or not I remember it being there when I bought it back in the day.

Yes, the original sahdow world box set had an addendum booklet that included the hero stats in it. supplements that came out after mostly had the hero stats within the text and/or in the back of the booklet. the best of which were the Emer boxed set and the Jaiman sourcebook.