What have you used?

Chris Goodwin

Fantasy Hero Grimoire II. I run a sudo war mage campaign and found the information on war magic in the 2nd school of the book very useful as is or as a guideline for building similar spells. The rest of the book has a lot of useful spells for almost any type of fantasy campaign, but I never really used them. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to keep this thread going in drips and dribbles.  

Focusing specifically on adventures, what have you used?  Any edition, any format, any system.  Have you used pre-published adventures, whether purchased from Hero Games, found on the web, purchased other systems' adventures and converted?  

I really love DriveThruRPG.com as a place to find inexpensive but very useful items

• 100 Roadside Encounter Ideas
  • 100 Locations & Rooms (I haven't used this as much - to dungeon crawling for my players)
  • 650 Fantasy City Encounter Seeds & Hooks
  • A Curse at the Old Inn
  • A Village and some Problems
  • GM Cookbooks ... (there are a few of these)
  • Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters <=== Must have for any genre of RPG
  • Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game <=== Must have for any genre of RPG
  • Knightvision Games has some good stuff

Focusing specifically on adventures, what have you used?

My two current campaigns are using bits and parts of official D&D adventures:

- Witchfire Trilogy. One of the first D&D 3E adventures and the beginning of the rather successful Iron Kingdoms line. I've used pretty much everything available for the setting (the three adventure books, the World Guide, the Character Guide the most excellent Monsternomicon, and even bits and parts from both the Warmachine tabletop and the new stand-alone game)

- X1 Isle of Dread - Yes, the adventure that came with the old D&D expert set. Lizardmen, natives and dinosaurs. I also follow the basic setup of the Treasure Hunt adventure, i.e. a bunch of "normals" (0-level in the original) rising to more heroic proportions. If they survive...

Most of that is run by the seat of my pants. Which served me quite well, although given that my players are relative newcomers to the system, I'm planning to collect a big bunch of combat and spell abilities over the holidays. Not everyone likes to tinker as much as I do, and the people who want to play spellcasters started to complain a bit.

To run Fantasy I have used: Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path (thinking about converting that one to hero). Also Paizo's Kingmaker Adventure Path. I can't really think of a single Hero Games product that was a Fantasy Adventure. Pretty sure that I ran the Adventure at the back of Fantasy Hero 1.0 I also have used X1 The Isle of Dread and Much of Mystara to run games in. D&D's Thunder Rift adventure was also used.

The biggest problem is that Hero has been always about sourcebooks, rules, Spells, and Equipment/Magic items. They never really bothered to publish Fantasy Adventures.

Like the others here, I've used all sorts of things: old D&D modules, ideas from books, films and comics, etc. Waaay too many to mention specifically.

I've also used plenty of Hero stuff, pretty much regardless of genre: take a sci-fi robot, call it a golem and give it another description - ta da! Ready to go. Take a superhero, do the same and it makes a great monster to challenge a party with. Ninja, samurai, super-agents ... I've certainly lifted stuff from sourcebooks like Valdorian Age or Monsters, minions, etc.

But for adventures it's pretty much all non-hero stuff because that's pretty much all there is and honestly, converting stuff is pretty simple ... once you have a bit of experience.

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to keep this thread going in drips and dribbles.  

Focusing specifically on adventures, what have you used?  Any edition, any format, any system.  Have you used pre-published adventures, whether purchased from Hero Games, found on the web, purchased other systems' adventures and converted?  

I've adapted the very classic Under Illefarn. it is a great module in that it sets up an entire micro-setting to start out with. On top of the micro setting (which was incorporated into Forgotten Realms) it included a couple of non-linear scenarios that lead into the main plot. The best part about it is that the NPCs were very well detailed and the module was designed for 0-level characters. Translation to Hero stats was really simple, as I just assigned Fantasy Hero (the book) archetype & racial templates to each NPC. I was using 5ER then, so I had very little tweaking to do. For Player Characters, I had them choose a Race Package, Everyman Skills, and either a Squire, Apprentice Mage, Cleric Acolyte, or Militia member package. The primary difference is that, Hero having no classes, I did not have to make judgments about the character's final class when they reached 1st level. Instead, they progressed organically, as any other Hero character would.

I'm working on a similar concept to post here to the boards. I just have to stop letting Skyrim distract me. :)

I have never been able to run a boxed adventure or module or the like.

I have used some ideas I have found in a module; cut out a scene or trap or the like - but I can't just run one straight out of the box.

At least in part because when the module says "The players turn left..." my players say "@#$% that, we're going right!  We've seen this movie before!"   :D

I have never been able to run a boxed adventure or module or the like.

I have used some ideas I have found in a module; cut out a scene or trap or the like - but I can't just run one straight out of the box.

At least in part because when the module says "The players turn left..." my players say "@#$% that, we're going right!  We've seen this movie before!"   :D

I'm with ya. The only module i've ever run was "mission blood" in shadowrun (insect spirits!). i've always run my own scenarios. i love perusing supplements for ideas, equipment and items and npc's, but the content of the adventure scenario is generally of little interest for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I played FH 1e back in college. Ran Affairs of Wizards several times, and once ported it into Mystara. FH 1e magic items book was awesome and I still use it. Lands of mystery is another favorite. Wish I had ask these in PDF as the books are getting old and worn.

FH 4e plus companions. Never used the schools, didn't like them. Had shadow world box and several modules. Loved it but never managed to play. The only thing I have left is the FH conversion book from the master atlas... the best part!

Had Mythic Greece and used it a little. Also some old Adventurers Club issues with FH content.

Used FH 5 for a few games. I mostly use the 1e or 4e bestiaries... The 5e and 6e products are too detailed and too wordy. The simplified monsters in lands of mystery, the the creature combat summary from 1e are my favorites for use in play, and about as detailed as i want to get.

Tomb of Rakoss. Kestrel module conversions. I've run/converted the occasional D&D module.

Campaigns: middle earth using the old MERP poster map... Saduria (1e)... Mystara... Vortimax (fantasy warlord setting)... And homebrew. Probably Greyhawk too, way back when.

Most used: 1e FH, regardless of what edition I'm actually playing. Runners up are 4e bestiary, 1e magic items, and 4e FH which had some cool spells even if I hated the colleges.

I've generally used settings by version, and right now I've moved to 6e first because I was thrilled at that 6e books (Hero System Equipment Guide, Hero System Bestiary, Grimoire, etc) gathered together all the content from a bunch of different 5th edition books, and then I found that I liked the mechanics better too.

So, I currently use The Day After Ragnarok , Kazei 5, Monster Hunter International, and The Widening Gyre for setting information, and I have only retained 5e content from two products from previous version, converting Valdorian Age and Hudson City because I like them so much,  they are worth it to me.

• 1 month later...

Had shadow world box and several modules. Loved it but never managed to play. The only thing I have left is the FH conversion book from the master atlas... the best part!

The one part of mine I can't find.  

Found it while I was looking for the 3rd edition Champions character sheet, and now it resides back in the box where it belongs.  :)