A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Would you consider a Player Character that is luckier than most (reflected through a Luck stat, high "Fate points" pool, Luck-based advantages/powers, et cetera) to be better "enough"...or must there be more to them?

I could say Luck is not a Hero Stat  😁 However, luck may not be enough. Sure, the narrative focused games will have a luck stat, or a narrative bonus token, but I don’t think that is enough, for the simple fact that most players of RPGs these days base their ideas of  heroism and exceptionalism from film, far more than text on a page. Comics exist on that halfway point between film and text, and players want their characters to have a “bit”!to show off their skills in being a badass or above the average person. It takes a diffevent kind of player, in control, and satisfied with their lot in life to be  the character actor, rather than the heroic lead. This is assuming a solo game, as characters like that seldom.can carry their weight in a dangerous situation and are more suited to be NPCs. 

On 11/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, tkdguy said:

I've had this idea for a while about an urban fantasy campaign. Instead of presenting creatures as they appear in D&D and other RPGs, go back to traditional stories. Faeries, ghosts, mermaids, and unicorns would make occasional appearances in our world and would be a bit different from what we find in our games. The character who encounters and deals with them would be an expert in folklore, but unlike modern heroes, he would be a normal person. He doesn't have magic powers or super science. While he isn't weak, he's not a commando or martial arts master. He only has his knowledge and his wits to overcome any challenges he faces.

Would that work as a roleplaying campaign, perhaps with a GM and a single player? For that matter, would that work as a TV show?

Some examples:

One of my friends suggested this would work as a Choose Your Own Adventure type of game. He also suggested looking at the original Twilight Zone series as inspiration for ideas and possible ways the characters would react. He also pointed out the Call of Cthulhu game is already doing this, although my monsters wouldn't be that powerful.

I found a whole bunch of folders that fit into 3 ring binders and they were on sale for 10 cents apiece. Well I been sorting through my Paper Monster fairly good. 

I’m also pleased that I ran across some characters that actually have skills other than combat and some with Disadvantages too! I’m debating if I should update some of these characters to 6th.  And if I do, should I revised them to make them more playable or keep them as some are innocently built? For example one guy has a CON 12. Yup you read that right CON 12. I figured we’ll he is a Normal and 12 is higher than 10. He does have skills such as Demolitions though and other spy skills. Another is a Reptilian looking martial artist. The abusive thing there is I bought DC that Costs END! (And x2 END if that’s any consolation. 😁).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ragitsu said:

Would you consider a Player Character that is luckier than most (reflected through a Luck stat, high "Fate points" pool, Luck-based advantages/powers, et cetera) to be better "enough"...or must there be more to them?

Personally? No. Fate points tend to be an indicator of a narrative based outcome system, and I kind of abhor those, again, personally. I much prefer dice determinist systems, with low to no fudging.  Pre 6th edition Hero, or even Mongoose Traveller work fine for me.  I am kind of the opposite to Ragitsu’s signature file, as I am a very tactical minded player. 

That being said, what you propose is a perfectly valid option provided the player injects some personality into the character. It’s just never a satisfying option for me.  

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Still epic though, right?

Oh yeah. Problem is the rest of my group is not hardcore RPGers so they’re all like “oh cool five headed dragon” and I’m like “That is f—-ing Tiamat you guys why aren’t we running away?!”  But I succeeded in distracting her for two rounds so I’ll call that a win. 

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Oh yeah. Problem is the rest of my group is not hardcore RPGers so they’re all like “oh cool five headed dragon” and I’m like “That is f—-ing Tiamat you guys why aren’t we running away?!”  But I succeeded in distracting her for two rounds so I’ll call that a win. 

In this case, the thing to do is for your character to start running, and let the rest of the group find out why.

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

Sadly paladins are known for looks, not sense. 

The funny thing is that they (used to) have Wisdom as one of their requirements. So both looks and sense.

Unfortunately, they picked up a reputation for being Lawful Stupid.

Admittedly, I don't know what a Paladin should do when everyone else are idiots. Die needlessly with them? Abandoning them to their fate doesn't seem right. Maybe grab one of them and escape with them. "I was only able to save one person. I would have saved them all if it was possible." Better yet, it gives you an excuse for knocking another PC upside the head.

It would be different if someone had to be a sacrificial rearguard when everyone else was running away. That's Paladin 101.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:55 AM, Scott Ruggels said:

I am kind of the opposite to Ragitsu’s signature file, as I am a very tactical minded player.

What is a signature file and how do you mean?

Anyhow, I'll play everything from "Live or die purely by the dice." to "One step removed from collaborative fan-fiction." if the DM/players/characters are interesting enough, but I typically prefer at least a little narrative safeguarding (if only in the early stages of a campaign); luck alone (the mundane real-world variety) shouldn't be the sole reason to care for a character (i.e., the one that manages to survive because the plastic was feeling kind).

I've been watching some solo rpg games on YouTube lately. I don't normally do that, but it's a good way to get a grasp of how a game system works. Of course, this got me thinking....

Note: I am NOT trying to sell or endorse any particular product. However, some of these products are what inspired my idea, so I will use them in my example.

The gameplay videos are generally shown in a top-down manner with the terrain depicted on a battle mat. I noticed some of these lovely battle mats used in a couple of them. The company also makes cling-on decals. Since everything is presented on a top down view, why not represent the characters and monsters the same way. Some use miniatures; others use tokens. My idea would be to use tokens with a top-down perspective (Roll20 uses these). Maybe have transparencies made instead of having a white background.

I don't know anyone who creates YouTube videos, rpg or otherwise, so I can't suggest this to anyone in particular. But I needed to get this out of my head. YMMV.