DBZ style power up

WalkingParadox

What do y’all think a DragonBall/anime power up would be like?

Xd6 Aid, Self Only, Extra Time (full or half phase)?

Compound Power with characteristics and defenses that’s on charges?

Ive been watching Dragonball Super again and this thought keeps percolating.  Seems to me that a power up would take at least half a phase, increase characteristics, defenses and maybe other stuff... and be able to be done more than once and thus stack.

How would you build it? 

14 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

The alternative to Aid is Multiform

That right there.

Is it something you can scale up, getting stronger and stronger as your character goes about his business?  If it is, them likey it's Aid or some form of limited power that kicks in slowly under X conditions.

If you have two (or more) distinct states: powered up and not not powered up, or powered up level 1, powered up level 2, etc., then multiform would be a clean option.

I remember a friend ran a game were the heroes 'powered up' using multiform. 

It was 3rd ed and IIRC the GM removed the multiform restriction on additional forms having more points than the base form. 

The other forms also ran on End Reserves and had a cool down period, though it has been far too long for me to remember the details.

The long and short of it was a Hero could 'power up' but only had so much time before the 'power up' ended.  And there was a delay before the PC could reactivate the power up. 

After a while a player could activate multiple levels of power up's that they could lose at a most inconvenient time if they took too long.

• 11 months later...

This is what I built the Power Up as a Compound Power.  So he'd pay 25 END, take a phase to scream and yell while his Ki visibly damages the land around him, then he gets all the Aids until they wear off, and since the RPD/ED is Ablative it would eventually wear off as well.

Power UPPPP:  (Total: 246 Active Cost, 64 Real Cost)

Aid STR 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (48 Active Points); Only to Aid Self (-1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4) (Real Cost: 15) 

plus

Aid DEX 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (48 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), Only to Aid Self (-1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) 

plus

Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 10)

plus

Aid  KI Powers 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (120 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), Only to Aid Self (-1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4) (Real Cost: 28)

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Aid is probably the power intended to be used for this kind of thing but I do like the Multiform option better, especially for combat monsters who do nothing but get better at fighting and abandon all other skills and abilities.

I also lean toward the Multiform version. 

In many of the anime that have power ups, the change is more than simply improving abilities.  Many times they also change enough that they are almost completely different beings. 

Add to that, being able to just grab another character sheet for each "power up" stage makes playing it much easier and makes the GM's job easier too. 

19 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Pretty sure there's a limitation that makes your damage carry across

In 5thR it is not a limitation, but part of the power that STUN, BODY and used END carry over.  This isn't a problem normally because being knocked out does not cause you to change to the base form, unless you take Reversion.     If your multiform had Reversion and your powered up and damaged form gets knocked out, you can actually die if the true form has less BODY tyhat the amount fo BODY damage the power up had. .  

9 hours ago, Tywyll said:

If you only had one other form, couldn't you just buy it as 'Only in Heroic ID' and default the powered up form as your heroic ID? That seems to me like a clearner way.

Goku's multiple forms though would definitely warrent Multiform. 

I don't think anyone I personally know ever considered that as a "power up".   That is just a normal character whose powers are only accessible in Heroic ID.

To me a "power up" is when the super being has abilities that increase in power in a defined "stepped" manner.

Bruce Banner to Hulk is just normal non-super to super activation.

Then there is Ichigo's regular soul-reaper powers and Ichigo's powers when he activates Bankai.  

10 hours ago, Tywyll said:

If you only had one other form, couldn't you just buy it as 'Only in Heroic ID' and default the powered up form as your heroic ID? That seems to me like a clearner way.

Goku's multiple forms though would definitely warrent Multiform. 

I don’t see why not. I will say that in 4th Ed I had a character that used a lot of OHID and to if I would do it again, I would copy his transformed form on another sheet just to keep everything neater. Only downside is it would be easier for me to loose a sheet.

12 hours ago, Spence said:

I don't think anyone I personally know ever considered that as a "power up".   That is just a normal character whose powers are only accessible in Heroic ID.

Well, you sort of do now! I absolutely would do it that way for some builds. I mean, if we are talking two forms, I literally don't see the difference. 

To me a "power up" is when the super being has abilities that increase in power in a defined "stepped" manner.

Yeah, I'm recommending two steps: Normal/regular power->More Poweful version (who's additional abilities are bought seperately behind OIHID

Bruce Banner to Hulk is just normal non-super to super activation.

Then there is Ichigo's regular soul-reaper powers and Ichigo's powers when he activates Bankai.  

Yeah, that's the origin of the OIHID but HERO has come a long way (as have comics) and it's not necessary to just use it that way (like everything else in Hero). I can easily build Power Person who can, for whatever reason, upgrade to More Power Person. Maybe I had some limitations so I can only be More Power Person for X amount of time or after I'm injured or whatever, meditation, etc.  

It's soooo much cleaner than messing around with Aid constructs. But has the down side that it only works if there are only two forms.