2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

3 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Grats RAMS! Megagrats to Stafford!

Sorry, Starlord. I would have enjoyed a Bengals win, too. If they can keep Burrow alive, they'll be back. 

Yeah.  Realize the path to the Super Bowl in the AFC.  Mahomes, Burrow, and/or Josh Allen.

I rather suspect that upgrading the O-line will be their #1 priority...especially since their first round pick is #31.  Unless they have another pick from somewhere, of course.

I said to my brother that these Playoffs were great and loved that the Super Bowl actually lived up to the rest of them. I am a Rams fan from waaaaayyyyy back so am thrilled they won in LA but would not mind seeing this Bengal team get a superbowl win. I think teams have started figuring out the Chiefs and next season, barring injuries, I think the AFC will come down to Bills/Bengals. After the games to decide who got here, would have been sad for a blowout. and Kupp proved he belongs in the talks of best in the league (Donald already is and how do you block him with 1 guy on a 4th and 1 when you know you are throwing the ball), basically getting open and making plays despite pretty much being triple teamed. I thought Ramsey had a bad game, and I don't mean just with Chase; he tried to hard to jump plays and get a pick for a TD.

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'd love to see if the numbers cited in their movement:

28% more non-contact lower body injuries.
32% more non-contact knee injuries and 69% more non-contact foot and ankle injuries occurred on turf.

can be verified.  If so, these are clear-cut motivations for the NFLPA.  The other factors are interesting, but not necessarily compelling to the league.  (But I do like one:  a single artificial turf field requires over 200 TONS of plastics.  Presumably that's not just the top surface, but also the underlayers for padding and whatnot.  That is a lot of material.)

Whether it'd be practical everywhere...that's debatable.  Whether it would be practical at SoFi...it's a fixed-roof stadium.  Would the current roof allow the light in, for the grass to grow properly?  And replacing the roof would likely be E X P E N S I V E!!!!!

SoFi is basically a greenhouse. I'll bet they could find a way to grow real grass in there if there were a reason to. 

Beyond that ... I can understand the draw of FieldTurf and the equivalents. I live (as my Location indicates) in the Barren Desert Province. With the exception of the future Big XII school in an adjacent county, all colleges in the state that support football (and one that only supports lacrosse) have FieldTurf surfaces. All 8 high schools in my district now have FieldTurf football fields. Water usage is a big part of the justification. (Also, they apparently can go 10 years or more without significant maintenance.) Grass football fields are few and far between, at least here in the City of Salt.

Strangely enough, we're not seeing the same with baseball and softball fields. I'm not personally aware of any college or high school baseball fields that aren't real grass. Which is as it should be. Baseball should be played on grass ... with wood bats, and without a Designated Hitter. But I digress. Anyway, grass is still okay for baseball and softball, but not football, the other football, or lacrosse. 

Except at my school. When we underwent the rebuild almost a decade ago, the initial plan included expended student parking in one corner of the property (which is apparently the smallest, by acreage, of any public high school in the county). But the extra parking space was not to be. My school's contingent of entitled rich white folks helicopter parents Kens and Karens soccer moms insisted that the new school complex include a grass field for soccer ... because an artificial surface was too dangerous to play soccer on. They made such a big deal of it that the Powers That Be (including my old principal, may he rest in peace) eventually gave them what they wanted. Our student parking still sucks, but our kids can play soccer on real grass.

Maybe the pendulum will swing back in a few years? I don't know. But our ongoing drought isn't getting any better, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Mr. P, I agree there's places where grass is impractical, or keeping grass in decent shape would be too difficult.  I wouldn't support a complete elimination of artificial turf, ever.  

I've been wondering when golf courses might start getting significant review, but large-scale water conservation is complicated.  LOTS of competing interests...do you value LA County golf courses or Imperial Valley (Palm Springs area) lettuce?  Did you know that to grow a pound of almonds takes about 1900 gallons of water?  And recreation and leisure need some consideration.  The crisis isn't that far away;  when it gets here, if it isn't already (reservoir levels are horrifically low)...the screaming is going to be from EVERYONE.