Winter Holidays 2021!

20 hours ago, Cancer said:

This is happening de facto here in the Seattle area as about six inches of snow fell on the 25th & 26th, leading to traffic paralysis which most people are not trying to fight.

Extended forecast has rain coming this weekend.

The latter is supposed to be news?

You could ship some of that rain down here.  My favorite local weather site (it reports a rain gauge in real time) has station records going back to 2007.  This is the driest 4th quarter of the year in that period...0.3" so far, altho Accuweather's hourlies show a fairly high chance of precip early Friday morning, and possibly more Friday night.  WeatherBug gives higher chances throughout the day, so, hey, maybe il'll amount to something.  And it'd be a fitting way to send this year out.

Interestingly, the temp forecast is VERY pleasant, considering...low Friday morning around 40ish, high around 50ish.  So, cloudy and wet.  The kind of day that makes me wish for a fireplace, but it wasn't an option on the floor plan I went with.  I like those days occasionally, and they're VERY rare down here.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

I did a bad thing tonight.

I introduced my mother to the Star Wars Holiday Special

I take it you're trying to be written out of the will?

Honest to gosh, I never knew this existed before your post.  But in my defense, it was only shown once, and I was in the dorm at the time, with no TV.  

But this is Wikipedia's section about its critical reception:

The Star Wars Holiday Special was universally lambasted by critics, audiences and Star Wars fans alike.[14] Jerry Buck, in a November 1978 review for the Associated Press, called the program "bubble gum for the brain".[25] Nathan Rabin of The A.V. Club wrote, "I'm not convinced the special wasn't ultimately written and directed by a sentient bag of cocaine."[26] David Hofstede, author of What Were They Thinking?: The 100 Dumbest Events in Television History, ranked the holiday special at number one, calling it "the worst two hours of television ever".[27] On the review-aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film received a 27% approval rating, based on 15 reviews, with an average rating of 3.03/10.[28]

Writing for Fatherly, Nathan Rabin says the cartoon segment is singular compared to the rest of the special in that it "feels worthy of being canon and not a hypnotically insane aberration."[29]

So....yeah...this is what you show your mother-in-law....not your mother.....

The parts with the original actors looked like it was being done by political prisoners.  (Kinda was)

The cantina stuff with Art Carney & Bea Arthur was embarrassing.

The musical interlude is tragically dated.

But...The animated thing with Boba Fett sill holds up.

22 minutes ago, Tjack said:

It holds up the pillars of Heaven, wise guy.😀

The animation from Nelvana Studios still looks good if you watch it separately from the rest of the Special.

I had watched the entire special when I was a kid, and I remember thinking that it was about a half-hour long. Re-watching it as an adult, I realized that I had blocked memories of most of it*, except for the Boba Fett sequence, and a few parts where Han and Chewie are in the Falcon. 

*A common response to emotional trauma, I'm told.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

:think:  I don't believe I have ever seen this thing everyone is bemoaning, and now I must resolve to keep it that way.

I came to that conclusion from the Wikipedia article.  It helps that I believe you have to *work* to find it now, so it should be an easy resolution to keep.

But...wait...does that make it a New Year's Resolution?????  Noooooo................

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I came to that conclusion from the Wikipedia article.  It helps that I believe you have to *work* to find it now, so it should be an easy resolution to keep.

But...wait...does that make it a New Year's Resolution?????  Noooooo................

For better or worse, Youtube has a few copies that rise to the top of a search for "star wars holiday special". Most have cut out the commercials, which one buddy in college remarked, "were the best part of the show."

My favorite comment from one of the videos: "Disney and Lucasfilm won't strike this down because it would mean admitting they own it."

Disney+ has extracted the Boba Fett animated sequence, and has it under the title, "Star Wars Vintage: The Story of the Faithful Wookiee"