Winter Holidays 2021!

7 hours ago, Tjack said:

Yeah, Twitter is bad, but I don’t think they’ve ever put a bullet in someone’s a$$.

Except maybe on January 6th.

9 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

269803227_10161566783328502_408079457136

Ugh, I see ads like this all. The. Damn. Time.

Coal in all their stockings - and matches to light it with - says I.

11 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Except maybe on January 6th.

Now there’s a dissenting opinion I can get behind.

20 minutes ago, Starlord said:

IMO, the daily damage caused by social media to the human psyche and to truth, in general, is monstrous and incalculable.

Granted, but I do still think a bullet in the a$$ would hurt more.

If you don’t think so, then we could perform an experiment.   You can insult me continuously for two hours, then I get to shoot you. Then we can figure out who got hurt worse.

10 hours ago, Tjack said:

Yeah, Twitter is bad, but I don’t think they’ve ever put a bullet in someone’s a$$.

You browbeat someone to depression, it's not much harder to drive them to taste-testing pistols, either.   The ne2s used to be full of stories like that.   The only reason there arent as many now is _not_ that the problem has been solved, but that we're so used to it that only report the cases with a "good hook" they can milk for ratings.

There are damned few social forums or sites on the net that arent absolutely toxic, but people dock on Facebook almost exclusively because currently "Zuck bad!" sells advertising slots.

I don't have a cure, but I think if everything you ever posted came with your nsme and address in the tag line, a lot of it would dry up.

Just the crazed ideas of an idiot, though.

34 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

269851364_5010646038980835_6689362890387

Indeed it is!   That's what's killing me, actually.   Though the way things are going, i almost look forward to drowning ib my own juices.   😕

On 12/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, tkdguy said:

Reminds me of a really, really bad Living City experience.  

First:  the con was...less than organized.  We got relocated into a small room, taking quite a long time for everyone to actually find it.  

Second:  this was *right* when 3E came out;  everyone was reconfiguring from 2E to 3E builds.  Those are *massively* different.  The party had quite a few multi-class demihumans...those work OK in 2E but don't exist in 3E.  The party was just...not good.

Third:  we got jumped.  The module had it...the DM said we weren't paying attention.  It was just outside the initial meeting to get the mission, fer crissakes!

Fourth:  the DM didn't fudge multiple *arrow* crits.  3E arrow crits...triple damage.  At low levels.  Because of the timing, and inexperience in the system, she didn't realize how bad things were gonna be.

We were obliterated in a couple rounds.

Worst LC session I ever played in.  Second worst-run I ever saw...which should tell you something about how bad the worst was.  I wasn't playing it, I was just watching...I'd played it earlier.  

17 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Anyone need to get out of a family gathering at the last minute?

2jk8m6jm8d781.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

If they’re close enough to see that then the enemy is already inside your perimeter.  Call them all in advance and say you may have been exposed. Then you keep the buggers out of your house, your refrigerator and outta your hair completely.  
   And if Uncle Fred (who doesn’t believe there is a virus) still wants to come over and watch the games on your big screen TV and drink all your booze....Just remember to put a drop gun in his hand before you call the police.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Reminds me of a really, really bad Living City experience.  

First:  the con was...less than organized.  We got relocated into a small room, taking quite a long time for everyone to actually find it.  

Second:  this was *right* when 3E came out;  everyone was reconfiguring from 2E to 3E builds.  Those are *massively* different.  The party had quite a few multi-class demihumans...those work OK in 2E but don't exist in 3E.  The party was just...not good.

Third:  we got jumped.  The module had it...the DM said we weren't paying attention.  It was just outside the initial meeting to get the mission, fer crissakes!

Fourth:  the DM didn't fudge multiple *arrow* crits.  3E arrow crits...triple damage.  At low levels.  Because of the timing, and inexperience in the system, she didn't realize how bad things were gonna be.

We were obliterated in a couple rounds.

Worst LC session I ever played in.  Second worst-run I ever saw...which should tell you something about how bad the worst was.  I wasn't playing it, I was just watching...I'd played it earlier.  

If I'd known that, I probably would have successfully resisted the urge to try 3e. I gave it a decent shot but happily returned to 2e and never looked back.

32 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

If I'd known that, I probably would have successfully resisted the urge to try 3e. I gave it a decent shot but happily returned to 2e and never looked back.

Oh, in most ways, 3E was way better.  Normalizing stats and saves helped a great deal, for me.  I also greatly disliked the fact that ALL of 1E/2E was random caprice...like racial level limits.

The problem was that the conversion from 2E to 3E *in Living City* was bungled.  And, quite a few LC modules in those later stages were Contests.  Power DMs out to kill Power Players.  Because a LOT of the players were getting obscenely powerful...and I don't know if it was legit or not.  At Gen Con one year, I think not long before the switch to 3E, the senior module writers and DMs ran a magic shop.  Bring in your certs, that showed the magic items you got playing other modules.  Trade them in for...well...pretty much anything you wanted.  You can imagine the potential for abuse.

Yes, well, people brought in BINDERS with their certs.  The BIG ones, with 2" rings.  FULL.  Because IIRC the rule mostly was you had to trade value for value and then some...the store would make a profit.  But lots of things were dirt cheap back then.  You can imagine:  the line moved really, really, REALLY slowly.  They only opened em up a few times...but the people who could go to them?  No problem.  There was also an issue that players in more densely-populated areas could attend a couple small cons a month...and thus, play a TON of LC modules.  Including more of the "special" modules where a MAJOR magical item might be awarded...can we say, Vorpal Sword?

So the game just got totally out of hand, as far as I was concerned.  3E would've made things worse *eventually* because 3E allowed for more min-maxing, via feats and prestige classes.  And LC was always min-maxed.

Standard 3E tournament modules, with pre-built characters...those ran much better.  But that was true in 2E as well.  I don't think I played that much 3E locally;  by that point, I think we were doing Hero (probably 4E) and Shadowrun.  And later, got into a Vampire game.