What's the most useless supplement you'd actually like to see?

BobGreenwade

Re: What's the most useless supplement you'd actually like to see?

The Big Book of Disads.

Not really useless, but I'd definitly add it to my "must get" list.

The Ultimate Dimension.

That would be uber-sweet.

I would like to see a book with about 3/4 the page count devoted to interesting bases each fully mapped out and the rest of the book being maps of various places that might be used in a modern setting such as Champions.

This would be hella-cool. Arrange it for Military Bases, Cult Lairs, VIPER/ARGENT/DEMON Bases, and Super-Hero Bases!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, almost forgot mine:

B-Horror Movie HERO - Fight the night of living dead, the blob, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon!

or

That 70's HERO - Detailed with Writeups of CHiPs, Starsky and Hutch, Charlies Angels, The Bionic Man, and other 70's TV Icons. A follow-up Supplement could be That 80's and That 90's HERO. :D

One supplement I would like to see would be something like the Ultimate Package Deal . A book that would have alot of occupational packages. Not just for police or military but for everything from physicists to gym teacher to housewife, etc.

That would help alot in character creation IMO.

GM-less Hero

Ideas on how to use the HERO System without a GM. It might sound like a total waste of time, but I think there is a certain potential. Here are some examples:

• Freeform role playing
  • Card games a' la Magic the Gathering
  • Board games in the same style as SJ Games Frag

I’ve tried to remove books that need a license, have already been done by Hero Games, or already is on the schedule. To shorten the length of this post I’ve also tried to remove as many duplicate posts from the GURPS’ world book series. I’ve also removed all books about a certain time period or geographical area, while I really them they have to be removed from this post due to the size of the post. Still, I’m new to GURPS so I might have made some mistakes. Here is my list of GURPS books that I think deserve their place on the schedule:

Aliens

Called The Galactic Bestiary in this thread

All-Star Jam 2004

Give some HERO authors total freedom to write whatever they want, and give them each a chapter of the book.

Alternate Earths

It’s tempting to call it The Ultimate What If, but there must be a better name for it.

Atomic Horror

Has already been suggested as B-Horror Movie Hero

Best Of Pyramid

The Best Of Digital Hero has been asked for at least once before on this forum, and I personally I think it would be a perfect Christmas book.

Cabal

I really miss some kind of Urban Fantasy book in the Hero library.

Castle Falkenstein

There has been requests about Victoria Age Hero, but why not give it a twist. Space 1889 might also give some ideas on how to twist the game

Cthulhupunk

In general I would like a near future sci-fi meets dark fantasy. I have no clue what to call it, but Science Fantasy Hero is the only thing I can come up with.

Dark Places

A book full of pre-made “bad places†might be of great help to any GM, but with the DEMON book just around the corner this kind of stuff might soon be available.

Flight 13

I hardly see the potential for a full book in the same style as the Airplane! Movies from the early 80’s, even with horror added, but I sure would enjoy a similar DH article.

IOU

I called it Teen Hero. If done right, the upcoming Teen Champions might do this. Remember that IOU can be played on three levels (silly, weird, and darkly illuminated), so even if a humorous book would be fun this book doesn’t have to be the humorous one. Stories like “I know what you did last summer†and “Scream†would probably fall into this book too (under the horror meta-genre).

Illuminati

I haven’t read the Dark Champions play test document from start to finish yet, so there might already be enough info in the book already. If not, I know I wouldn’t be able to resist Conspiracy Hero.

In Nomine And Religion

Spiritual warfare in all its forms intrigue me.

Infinite Worlds

I really want a book that does for the Hero Universe, what Champions Universe did for the Champions Universe. For the six billion people who found that that vague, what I want is something like the Hero Universe freebie, but written with the same depth as Champions Universe.

Supporting Cast

In the writer’s guidelines I have seen Normal Books been mentioned, but as far as I know none are scheduled.

Villains

Some kind of book like this one wouldn’t be bad, call it the Ultimate Villain. Describe stuff like what differs a good guy from a bad guy, and all shades of grey in between (like the anti-hero). Write up common package deals. Difference between villains in different genres.

Who's Who

This could be an encyclopaedia, something like Important People in the Hero Universe with the characters written up using the character briefs technique mentioned in the writer’s guidelines. I guess the main reason for producing this book would be to help GM with either time travelling groups or groups that just want to test a certain genre and need NPCs. Many of these could be taken from the Digital Hero series You Gotta Have Character.

Just for fun, here....

What Hero Games supplement ideas have people come up with that you'd actually buy if it were available, but feel as though you'd be a part of a very small group in that respect?

I'm not looking for truly useless books (like Antarctic Champions or Circus Hero), but something you'd actually find useful and could make a book of at least 100 pages, but isn't likely to have much market outside yourself.

My own personal choice would be The Galactic Martial Artist -- a collection of martial arts styles, weapons, and other data from the various cultures across the galaxy of the Hero Universe.

I've decided to create UMA entries for my fantasy races' various martial arts, Bob. Check this thread.

One supplement I would like to see would be something like the Ultimate Package Deal . A book that would have alot of occupational packages. Not just for police or military but for everything from physicists to gym teacher to housewife, etc.

That would help alot in character creation IMO.

Dave Mattingly used to have the Power Point newsletter with a huge list of packages (4th Edition). It was one of my favorite resources until it was (relatively) recently removed.

So yeah, I wouldn't mind a DH article or published supplement dealing with occupations and packages. Maybe an eBook?

Guest bblackmoor

Cabal

I really miss some kind of Urban Fantasy book in the Hero library.

It's definitely a niche. Part of the problem with urban fantasy is that (if it's at all creative) it uses so few of the tropes to which gamers have grown accustomed. Almost every part of the society is just different enough from what players are used to that it causes confusion. At least, that has been my experience.

I never tried running an urban fantasy game using Hero, although I have been tempted. The only time I gave it a really serious shot was using Risus. I made a feeble attempt to write up my notes from that game, in the hope of someday running it again:

Rough Magic

Some day I will return to that project and finish it. :rolleyes: Seriously, though, I'd like to run another game in that setting. Some day.

Take note that the core Risus game mechanics are copyright S. John Ross. I received permission from him to use them and to create a derivative work. You, on the other hand, are welcome to use anything which I wrote, subject to the Creative Commons ShareAlike 2.0 license. On the odd (if unlikely) chance that anyone does want to use something from Rough Magic in a Hero System adaptation, I would be happy to help extricate my work from S. John's, so that the rights are clear and unencumbered.

December 17, 2003

Just for fun, here....

What Hero Games supplement ideas have people come up with that you'd actually buy if it were available, but feel as though you'd be a part of a very small group in that respect?

I'm not looking for truly useless books (like Antarctic Champions or Circus Hero), but something you'd actually find useful and could make a book of at least 100 pages, but isn't likely to have much market outside yourself.

Kept on ICE - a book of previous groups and characters that are no longer in the official setting (in other words, almost all my favorites). Groups such as The Seven Horsemen, VOICE, Protectors, Zodiac, Thunder and Lightning, the San Angelo setting; individuals like "Ack Ack" McCleary, Wraith, The Olympians, and others from Enemies for Hire and Allies.

The Ultimate Location - this would be the book not only for generic settings (hotels, banks, bars,) but also various base designs for PCs as well as the bases of hero groups and villain groups.

Supers International - instead of over-detailed locations books like "Kingdom of Champions," "Heroes to the North," and European Enemies, something more like the old "Enemies International" but with both good and bad guys who stick to their own country or geographical area as opposed to being known across the world.

Why Be Normal - a third book on Normals, this one could be those actually used in the game, such as mayor of Millennium City, or any official super's DNPC, etc.

+Actually, I'd like to see NPC normals written up with each hero/villain, such as was done in Enemies of San Angelo, I believe.

Ancient Civilizations - as opposed to just Ancient Egypt, we could include Rome, Greece, Japan, China and perhaps "barbarian" groups such as Vikings, Goths, Huns, and MONGOLS!

"How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol Horde got bored?" - Calvin and Hobbes

Kept on ICE - a book of previous groups and characters that are no longer in the official setting (in other words' date=' almost all my favorites). Groups such as The Seven Horsemen, VOICE, Protectors, Zodiac, Thunder and Lightning, the San Angelo setting; individuals like "Ack Ack" McCleary, Wraith, The Olympians, and others from [i']Enemies for Hire[/i] and Allies.
I think it might be cool to include these characters -- in fact, any characters or organizations Hero/DOJ owns the rights to, but doesn't want to include in the "official" setting -- and use them in a sort of "Earth-2" alternate universe. This could include updated versions of the 4th Ed Champions (even including an older, wiser Defender), its own versions of VIPER and DEMON, and certain other staples whose absence would make some of the other characters make less sense.

It's definitely a niche. Part of the problem with urban fantasy is that (if it's at all creative) it uses so few of the tropes to which gamers have grown accustomed. Almost every part of the society is just different enough from what players are used to that it causes confusion. At least, that has been my experience.

I never tried running an urban fantasy game using Hero, although I have been tempted. The only time I gave it a really serious shot was using Risus. I made a feeble attempt to write up my notes from that game, in the hope of someday running it again:

Rough Magic

Some day I will return to that project and finish it. :rolleyes: Seriously, though, I'd like to run another game in that setting. Some day.

Take note that the core Risus game mechanics are copyright S. John Ross. I received permission from him to use them and to create a derivative work. You, on the other hand, are welcome to use anything which I wrote, subject to the Creative Commons ShareAlike 2.0 license. On the odd (if unlikely) chance that anyone does want to use something from Rough Magic in a Hero System adaptation, I would be happy to help extricate my work from S. John's, so that the rights are clear and unencumbered.

The thing is, I think it's growing so quickly/steadily, that in almost no time a sourcebook will be viable. Consider just current sources for urban fantasy:

- Hellblazer and similar Vertigo books

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc. - even if cancelled you know these will weigh heavily still on fandom

- the Dresden books

I think a book will be warranted at some not-too-distant point.

EDIT - very cool of you to post the link, will take a look...

I find it incredible that' date=' six months later, someone tracks down this thread....[/quote']

Considering the activity on this thread, even if it's been "dead" for six months, it seems like there is a need for this kind of thread. After all, post 2005 we haven't got a clue about what the company has planned. :thumbup:

Could someone make this a "sticky"? :think:

Considering the activity on this thread, even if it's been "dead" for six months, it seems like there is a need for this kind of thread. After all, post 2005 we haven't got a clue about what the company has planned. :thumbup:

Could someone make this a "sticky"? :think:

Or a similar thread - after all, I don't think as a sticky anyone wants to see "most useless supplement"! :)

Topic drift is inevitable, but it's too bad this one didn't stay more on the "most useless" examples, some of those are pretty weird and interesting.

Or a similar thread - after all' date=' I don't think as a sticky anyone wants to see "most useless supplement"! :) [/quote'] Yes and no. My whole original thought was for a supplement that probably wouldn't sell really well or apply to a lot of people's campaigns, but that some of us would actually buy, use, and appreciate. In such sharing, we might just find that some of our ideas aren't so "useless" after all -- I've little doubt Steve peeks in every so often (if only for a few laughs) and he might get an idea or three from our ramblings. :)

Ancient Civilizations - as opposed to just Ancient Egypt, we could include Rome, Greece, Japan, China and perhaps "barbarian" groups such as Vikings, Goths, Huns, and MONGOLS!

"How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol Horde got bored?" - Calvin and Hobbes

Ooh, yeah! :thumbup:

JG

Such a book might be good' date=' then, since it could potentially settle such debates.[/quote']Yeah, that'll happen. A published book will settle a Hero System debate... ;)

Anyway, I've compiled this list:

[Edit - Updated near the end.]

I'd like to see a "Supers and You" guide, with info on how the normal citizens are affected by a world full of supers.

The Duck and Cover info for super battles when they come to your neighborhood.

Super tech devices avalible at Best Buy.

What to do if you find out your son or daughter is a closet sidekick.

That kind of stuff.

Anyway, I've compiled this list:

Sure after I have read all 10 pages I find this.

I would just like to say that Ultimate Warrior, Sports and Dimensional would all be on my top list to purchase. The only real GURPs campaign I ever played was D-Hopper (Where we were Dimensional Agents sent to fix errors, stop villains and other assorted activities). So that was one that I was going to suggest.

Three new ones I would like to see.

The Ultimate Options - Listing various optional rules that people can incorporate into their own games that are not official Hero System. These could be both new and previously written options.

Sci-Fi Fantasy Hero - Cyberpunk/Shadowrun/Rifts meets Forgotten Realms/TA. Technology and Magic meet in a odd quasi-medieval environment.

Ultimate Talent - Listing write ups for talents that can be plugged into various genres. Each talent would list which genres they would work best with.

A license' date=' or direct ripoff, of the better of the two old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon from the early 90's. You know, the one with Sonic, Princess Sally, and the rest of the Freedom Fighters struggling against Robotnik, who wanted nothing more than to turn the world into a polluted metallic hell under his control. (A ripoff would probably be a better idea; Sega has shown time and again that it doesn't really "get" that universe...) -- Pteryx[/quote']

Hell yeah, that would be cool. I detest Furry and hated Sega with a firey passion yet loved this show.

The Big Book of Comeliness --an exhaustive look at the least expensive, least used stat in the Hero system, discussing benchmarks, how to use it, optional COM-based skills, and a couple representative writeups, maybe even some "comeliness" tricks. Should be a solid 32 page supplement.

;)

The Big Book of Comeliness --an exhaustive look at the least expensive, least used stat in the Hero system, discussing benchmarks, how to use it, optional COM-based skills, and a couple representative writeups, maybe even some "comeliness" tricks. Should be a solid 32 page supplement.

;)

But it'll be pretty.