Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

https://globalnews.ca/news/9984605/tooth-regrowth-drug/

The ability to regrow your own teeth could be just around the corner.

A team of scientists, led by a Japanese pharmaceutical startup, are getting set to start human trials on a new drug that has successfully grown new teeth in animal test subjects.

Toregem Biopharma is slated to begin clinical trials in July of next year after it succeeded growing new teeth in mice five years ago, the Japan Times reports.

Dr. Katsu Takahashi, a lead researcher on the project and head of the dentistry and oral surgery department at the Medical Research Institute Kitano Hospital, says “the idea of growing new teeth is every dentist’s dream.”

“I’ve been working on this since I was a graduate student,” he told Japan’s national daily news site, the Mainichi, earlier this year. “I was confident I’d be able to make it happen.”

11 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

In some ways, to me the most important part of this story is the last paragraph.

The thefts occurred the same day Target announced it will close nine stores in four states, including one in New York City’s East Harlem neighborhood, and three in the San Francisco Bay Area, saying that theft and organized retail crime have threatened the safety of its workers and customers.

Can't blame them, and this is, I think, a harbinger of things to come if we can't turn things around.  

I wonder if the Darwin committee could develop a new award for Darwinian-level misuse of social media.  Social suicide by IG.

I mean, we're certainly used to celebs and athletes shooting off their keyboards...but that generally results in condemnation.  Not multiple years in prison.  Given the scale, and if she can be portrayed as a major instigator, I doubt most judges will be lenient.

Experiment verifies that gravity affects matter and antimatter the same

As predicted by general relativity, antihydrogen atoms "fall" in the same direction as regular hydrogen atoms.  The LHC makes enough antiprotons and positrons that some can be captured, combined to make antihydrogen, and experiments performed upon it to verify its properties.  Antimatter does not make antigravity.

EDIT: Nature paper describing the experiment, etc.

Edited by Cancer