Twin powers ideas

Rebar

Looking for ideas for twin powers (not literally twins, just a 2-person team) that are co-dependent/complementary.

Fire/Ice

Light/Dark

etc.

Or prehaps, rather than cancelling/opposite, they multiply.

?

Outside-the-box ideas welcome too.

Cloak/Dagger

etc.

The bigger picture: one of them is dead. I'm actually looking for a cool concept (roleplaying-wise) for *half* a team.

It couldn't hurt to make the second character an "enhancer" to the first.

I recently made a character with the ability to take holograms and make them real. She can't project holograms (she needs equipment for that) but she can make people experience blows by light projections as being real. Picture if she teamed up with an illusionist.

I also made a character named AMP who had a pool that could only boost other poeple's powers. A good teammate to have for putting you over the top.

Picture a brick with a buddy who can enhance STR. A character who can neutralize a partner's disadvantages. I had an empath who followed my agoraphobic character around and kept her calm for short periods outside the base, so a character that can somehow neutralize the other's disadvantage would be nice.

How about two characters who can "absorb" each other's attacks to their benefit. Fire guy shoots ice chick and she absorbs it and becomes a stronger Ice Chick... or something more logical than those two special effects, but you get my meaning. That way they could do damage to others normally, but their attacks hitting each other are actually a possible benefit.

Sorceror and Gadgeteer - REALLLLLLLY able to help cover each other's "blind spots". Magic wards on the gadgeteer's power suit, blasters enchanted to affect desolid/ghosts etc. Sorceror packs some gadgets along for when magic gets negated.

"Aha, Dr. Strange, I have cut you off from the mystic arts! Thou art powerless!"

"Schlick-schlack" (pulls out and cocks negablaster)

"Uh-oh" ;)

Here's an intersting "twin" concept that I played in a Pbem.

It's not 5th edition, but the concept is different enough to warrant a posting imo:

[Me|Bo]son

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- 100kg; 2d6

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6; DCV: 6

16 CON 12 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 13-

8 EGO -4 11- ECV: 3; Mental Def. 8

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack 3½d6

12 COM 1 11-

6 PD 4 Total PD/rPD: 13/7

8 ED 5 Total ED/rED: 15/7

4 SPD 13 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 REC 0

32 END 0

30 STUN 7

Run: 6", Swim: 2", Jump: 2", Lift: 100kg

Cost Powers END/Roll

3 Detect (+0 to PER); Time Required: Half Phase, +0; Range: Touch, +0

Molecular structure

5 Discriminatory Sense (Detect)

Analyse molecular structure

30 Duplication (1 266-point forms); Gestures: Constant Power, -½; Increased END: ×4, -1½; Costs END: -½

3 Instant Change; Clothes: Any Set, 10; Usable By Others: Power Lost, +¼; Only for Duplicate: -2; Identical Outfit: -1

2 Life Support: High Radiation; Linked: -½

2 Mind Link; Minds: One Specific Mind, +5; Number of Minds: 1, +0; Distance: Single Planet, +0; Dimension: Current, +0; Link with: Those with Mind Link, -1

6 Mental Defense (8 pts); Add to Total

15 Multipower (30-pt reserve); upper 30 only when touching duplicate: -1

60 Multipower (60-pt reserve); upper 30 only when touching duplicate: +0

m-7 1d6 Transform (Major, Anything); Range: 185; Cumulative: +½ 4

u-3 1d6 Transform (Major, Anything); Range: 225; Cumulative: +½; Usable By Others: Simultaneous Use, +½; Only while touching duplicate: -½ 4

!m-2 1d6 Disruption Beam; Range: 50; Versus: ED; No Normal Defense: +1 1

u-1 2d6 Disruption Beam; Range: 125; Versus: ED; No Normal Defense: +1; Usable By Others: Simultaneous Use, +½; Only while touching duplicate: -½ 2

m-3 3d6 Heat Blast; Range: 75; Versus: ED 1

u-1 3d6 Heat Blast; Range: 110; Versus: ED; Usable By Others: Simultaneous Use, +½; Only while touching duplicate: -½ 2

m-5 2d6 Disintigration Beam; Range: 225; Only vs Inorganic Matter: -¾; Armor Piercing: 1, +½ 4

u-1 1d6 Disintigration Beam; Range: 150; Only vs Inorganic Matter: -¾; Armor Piercing: 1, +½; Usable By Others: Simultaneous Use, +½; Only while touching duplicate: -½ 3

m-3 Harden Air Force Field (7 PD/7 ED) 1

u-2 Force Wall (5 PD/5 ED); Range: 185; Width: 7", +0; Only while touching duplicate: -1; Usable By Others: Simultaneous Use, +½ 4

m-3 Instant Change; Clothes: Any Set, 10; Usable Against Others: ×1 mass, 1; Costs END: -½

m-9 10" Carrier Wave (Long Range 80"); Increased Range: ×8, +15; Long Range: 80"; Long Range (miles): 0.10; Mass Multiplier: ×4, +10; Fixed Locations: 0; Floating Locations: 0 2

u-3 10" Carrier Wave (Long Range 40"); Increased Range: ×4, +10; Long Range: 40"; Long Range (miles): 0.05; Mass Multiplier: ×4, +10; Fixed Locations: 0; Floating Locations: 0; Usable By Others: Simultaneous Use, +½; Only while touching duplicate: -1 2

u-4 Tunneling (5" through DEF 7); Tunnels: Not Left Behind, +10 1

19 END Reserve (95 END, 10 REC/turn)

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

2 Professional Skill: Scientist 11-

6 +2 level w/Science Related Skills

3 Enhanced Perception (all) (+1 to PER)

3 Scientist

2 Subatomic Physics 12-

2 Chemistry 12-

2 Organic Chemistry 12-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

6 +2 level w/OCV on coordinated attacks

5 +1 level w/Multipower

115+ Disadvantages

15 Accidental Change (14-)

Duplicates recombine when hit by molecular-based attacks

10 Enraged (14-, 11-); Circumstances: Uncommon, +5

Duplicate is dying/killed

20 Hunted: Jade Enclave (8-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

15 Wacky/Unstable (Common, Strong)

15 Secret Identity: Morton Coswell

41 Susceptibility: When Dupe take sbody (1d6 STUN/Phase); Condition: Uncommon, +5; Any distance, Any Amount: +1¾

Costs: Char.: 72 Disad.: 136

Powers: + 229 Base: + 115

Exp.: + 50

Total: = 301 Total: = 301

Height: 178cm (5'10"), Weight: 78kg (172 lbs), Sex: Male, Age: 26

If I recall the background correctly, he was a scientist that was working on a unified unstable molecule field theory. He fell into his own experiment and became able to split his own atoms. Meson/Boson would finish eachothers sentences, refer to themselves in the third person. The basic premis of their powers is they are much more powerful when they are touching eachother and doing the same action, but they can split up and act as two separate characters sharing a single brain.

A telekinetic who can manipulate molecules (But not living) and a telekinetic/telepath who can affect teh living but not unliving. Now imagine if the mentalist can connect to the manipulator's body, allowing him to heal, etc.

Look at Cyclops and Havoc; they are immune to eachother's powers. Something like that, and if they have AoE, they can start whapping upon an enemy wihtout worry.

Here's a thought I had: A Force Fielder (A force guy, like GL), and a Blaster or Brick; the Force Fielder gives them both defense, the Blaster/Brick gives them both a boost in damage dice. Various effects could be worked here.

Someone with Blindsight/Radar/Combat sense, and another person with Flash/Blinding powers, Flight or Desol + Movement restriction powers (Iced floor, for instance).

Transform power, and a Magnetics. Change stuff into metal, then let your friend have fun.

Originally posted by Ghost who Walks

For what it is worth, I have always wanted to try a twin concept with psionics. Have their powers complement each other when together, but be weaker when apart.

Never gotten around to it though. :(

That sounds a lot like the old morbanes. They all had multiple power-pools that made them tougher the more of them there were.

Dead and Departed

A duo consisting of a Mummified Corpse and it's departed Soul.

I think the Ba was the physical soul and the Ka was the spirtual soul. I actually had a vilain like this. The Mummy was relatively dumb but pretty much unstoppable physically the soul could of course posses people, walk through walls, and astral project. But if they were together the Spirit part could cast magic using the Mummy's END reserve.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have a three-sibling villain team in my world. They call themselves The Sins, as in the sins of the father.

One's a telepath, one's a telekinetic, and the last one's a pyrokinetic. They're fairly underpowered individually, but they can "combine" to make additional powers for themselves.

I can let you know more if its of interest.

A few ideas that occurred to me -

GURPS Mixed Doubles did a pair similar to the core concept here, I think - a fairly standard brick-type with a disembodied 'spirit' partner who was 'housed' within the brick (the spirit was, IIRC, called Hitchhiker).

That premise sounded not too different from the WW2 DC character Captain Triumph, whose strength was enhanced by the ghost of his twin brother.

Which nicely leads to Romulus and Remus, who came out of an EU heroes setting I've used; probably the strongest heroes in the milieu when in close proximity, but sickened and (potentially) died when separated. Just to stir the pot, they weren't twins or even related - just two guys who got powers in the same accident and, even worse, who hate each other's guts...

Ball and Chain: A scientist who mentally controls a basket-ball sized sphere that has multiple effects, and a woman with either force-powers that look like chains, or some sort of mystical chains..

They are a married couple, and do more fighting between eachother then villains.

Ball & Chain

Ball and Chain Hmm. I like that idea - but I'd think it would have to be for a non-serious game. Too much humour potential.

They're divorced, they can't stand each other, and they're still in the middle of the separation, complicated because of their superheroing lives - especially since their powers are co-dependent.

To give it a little less contrived feel, I'd just make one have an EB that looks/acts like a ball and the other entangles and force powers.

Got their powers in a car accident - which never would have happened if he hadn't been driving so fast, and if she hadn't been driving him crazy with her yammering about his driving.

• 17 years later...

For my idea of recreating CLOWN there was the twins Punch and Judy. Named after two of the Mr. Punch puppet characters, there powers have nothing to do with the darn thing. They are linked mentally, and can see out of each other's eyes and hear out of each other ears. They are mutant actors and confadance people and spys. 

Dungeon and Dragon :) One has force wall englobing powers and the other shapechanges to a reptilian form that flies and breathes fire.

If one is gone, as OP suggested, the other can carry on.

The golden age Captain Triumph was based on twins, one deceased.  The ghost and the living reporter could operate separately, or become more powerful if they merged.

Havoc and the Living Monolith approach - if Havoc's powers are blocked (he can't absorb cosmic radiation), the Living Pharaoh becomes the more powerful Living Monolith.

The von Strucker twins, Fenris, were more powerful in contact.  When one died, the survivor used her skin to make a leather covering for his sword hilt, maintaining contact (eww).

Aurora and Northstar had independent flight and speed powers, and a Flash power they had to use together.

Brains and Brawn?  Pretty obvious power suites there.

Shield and Sword. Twin weapon masters, one with a shield, the other with a sword.

In a superhero setting, the Sword and Shield can be magical, with a powerful enchantment which is nullified if both objects are held by one person. But both enchantments complement each other (which explanes why Shield doesn't just knock out Sword and just take the weapon for his own use, and vica versa).

On 2/5/2004 at 12:25 AM, Ghost who Walks said:

For what it is worth, I have always wanted to try a twin concept with psionics. Have their powers complement each other when together, but be weaker when apart.

Never gotten around to it though. :(

One is a telepath and the other a telekinetic.  
I’d be more interested in the characters involved.  I’m reminded of the wizard/barbarian brothers in the Dragonlance series. Or Farfard (sic) & the Grey Mouser.

The Omni twins, Omniscient and Omnipotent.  One is a powerful psychic, the other a powerful telekinetic who can affect anything he can see.  With their minds linked together, Omniscient lets Omnipotent see almost anywhere, and so he can use his powers in places far removed from his actual location.  This makes them nigh unstoppable since they can engage in crime or combat without actually being physically present.  The heroes must figure out a way to track the pair down and/or break the connection between them in order to take them on.